Open loop question. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

So, I have been running open loop for last month. Car runs the best ever. I'm current at 4,300 ft above sea level. If I drop down to sea level, what will the car run like? Will I have issues ? Tune was done with wide band sensor, then replaced with standard o2, . Which obviously is now tuned out.

My 2009 - With the usual suspects. Incl. - Pat G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 AM

No direct experience here, but based on the old days, with a car running well at sea level then taken to the mountains, there was a noticeable loss of power. So I would also expect some noticeable effect coming the other way.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 AM

I’m 90% sure that the car will run lean. You tuned it based on your current elevation which has less dense air and therefore not as much oxygen as there is at sea level. Being in open loop, the car has no chance to correct for the added oxygen at sea level and will cause a very lean condition.

I would either install a wideband to keep an eye on my AFR’s and tune as you go down in elevation or put the car back into closed loop operation.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:54 AM

agree with above.... will go lean at sea level like mine does

09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO [email protected] 6177DA... tvs2300 [email protected] getting closer to a clean run !
07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO [email protected]
@ 4200' in the sky !
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
towing stuff with cars is cool !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok.
What about this ? is it feasible to run open loop without the wide band as long as I'm in the elevation where it was tuned? Let's say I dropped down to sea level, previous to taking that trip, I can install the activated o2 on version . What's your opinion? I just love not having the little quirks of varying performance in open loop.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Why are you tuned in open loop with such minimal mods?? I don't understand.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
Why are you tuned in open loop with such minimal mods?? I don't understand.
It has been the most consistent and most powerful tune out of 16 different revisions of a Pat G tune.( Patrick Guerrera was absolutely wonderful and helping me get what I was looking for as far as performance with just bolt ons.) I then simply had a local tuner use a wideband . Pat then took that guy's tune and used his tables and crafted an open loop tune. I also have three different transmission tunes. I've been cruising around with the open-loop and one of his revised tunes for transmission. It's been great.This particular transmission tune is a very aggressive off the line, but lacks good productivity in upper gear ratios. When I take a long trip, I just switch to a less aggressive trans tune. Maybe I will just go to the route and get a monitor for the wideband. Any suggestions ? Preferably something easy to install and looks decent. And affordable of course !

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcudahadaG8 View Post
It has been the most consistent and most powerful tune out of 16 different revisions of a Pat G tune.( Patrick Guerrera was absolutely wonderful and helping me get what I was looking for as far as performance with just bolt ons.) I then simply had a local tuner use a wideband . Pat then took that guy's tune and used his tables and crafted an open loop tune. I also have three different transmission tunes. I've been cruising around with the open-loop and one of his revised tunes for transmission. It's been great.This particular transmission tune is a very aggressive off the line, but lacks good productivity in upper gear ratios. When I take a long trip, I just switch to a less aggressive trans tune. Maybe I will just go to the route and get a monitor for the wideband. Any suggestions ? Preferably something easy to install and looks decent. And affordable of course !
The easiest wideband to install is the AEM 30-0333 or 30-0334(same just newer model). It plugs right into the OBD2 port and hptuners monitors it as if it were a factory sensor. Picked mine up for $145 new but open box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page