Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Need advice!

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  zm1040 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I think I've found THE car that I've been looking for... :):):):)???

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&mmt=[PONT[G8[]][]]&listingId=382142406&Log=0

It's got 28,000 miles. Completely stock. Privacy glass/tint. Looks like Premium and Sport packages.
Sport Red Metallic... Which is growing on me every time I look at the pictures.

But they are asking $22,893.00.
An average of the retail prices (what people pay the dealer) from KBB, Edmunds, and NADA Guides is $22,530.00.
Average on trade in value according to those sites is $18,910.00...
But this car was purchased at auction (you can see the delivery truck in the background of the pictures), so I'm assuming they have less into the car than 18,900.
With these figures and the condition of the car taken into consideration, what would y'all say is a fair price to expect the dealer to settle for? And what number should I low-ball with to start with?

Thanks for any help!
Zach

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are paying cash I would say 19-20 out the door and see. It does not show that any of the recalls have been done and being out of warranty this needs to be looked at.

I paid $21K for mine 6 months ago with 23K and 12/12 warranty.

#3 ·
If you are paying cash I would say 19-20 out the door and see. It does not show that any of the recalls have been done and being out of warranty this needs to be looked at.

I paid $21K for mine 6 months ago with 23K and 12/12 warranty.
Well I have pre-approval through a local credit union, so as far as payment, it's as good as cash to them.
Here's a problem though. It's in Missouri and I'm in Texas and I don't think I'll be able to get up there until 10/4. So they're saying that they can hold it, "with sale price of 22,893.00 +199.00 b.s. fee and $1,000.00 refundable deposit."

Is the recalls not having been handled a bargaining point? Aren't they free anyway? And they are saying 6month/6,000 mi powertrain warranty.

#4 ·
2009 or 2009.5? (Does it have Bluetooth)

#5 ·
Yes, 09.5. The VIN ends in L3XXXXX.

#6 ·
I should have said the TSB's. As in if you have an issue under warranty they will fix it. The 6/6 is most likely a third party and will not cover lifter tick or the control arm issue.

You have been sent other pics of everything? I had them put mine on a lift and got 30 detailed pictures plus a bunch of others. My car was in PA and I was worried about rust/corrosion.

The fact that they do not seem to want to budge is they have seen you coming. Price first then the rest. Gut feeling and trust is the biggest thing on these deals. I paid for mine three weeks before I picked it up and it was a good thing because the original owner tried to buy it back a few days before I got there.

If you are set on the car and are willing to take a risk (after more pics) tell them $21.500 out the door and I will send $1000 now non refundable and the balance on 10/4.

The only way your going to get a deal now is put the $$ up front to show your serious and commit.

Just some thoughts from an old guy. :)

#7 ·
I should have said the TSB's. As in if you have an issue under warranty they will fix it. The 6/6 is most likely a third party and will not cover lifter tick or the control arm issue.

You have pics of everything? I had them put mine on a lift and got 30 detailed pictures plus a bunch of others. My car was in PA and I was worried about rust/corrosion.

The fact that they do not seem to want to budge is they have seen you coming. Price first then the rest. Gut feeling and trust is the biggest thing on these deals. I paid for mine three weeks before I picked it up and it was a good thing because the original owner tried to buy it back a few days before I got there.

If you are set on the car and are willing to take a risk (after more pics) tell them $21.500 out the door and I will send $1000 now non refundable and the balance on 10/4.

The only way your going to get a deal now is put the $$ up front to show your serious and commit.

Just some thoughts from an old guy. :)
So far, I have only seen the pics on the website. They are supposed to be getting me a good video of the whole car and shots of the undercarriage in the morning.

You are right though. I was too adamant in getting them to hold the car and have come across as too eager so I've probably shot most of my chances of bargaining. I was thinking to low-ball at 20 and then settle on 21.5? Or should I be firm and say 21.5 is the best I'll do?

I appreciate your thoughts haha. They are very helpful.

#9 ·
That makes sense... After he gets me the pictures, we'll see.

Oh and I do plan on purchasing a GMPP Major Guard extended warranty from a local GM dealer sometime after I get the vehicle, so I'm not super worried about stuff like the TSBs... They're quoting me $1,590.00 for a 3 year/45,000 mile with a $200.00 deductible... Not too bad.

#11 ·
We agreed on a price... one probably slightly higher than I should have, but like you said, they're going to get hard to find at this mileage... so I figure $10-15 extra per month isn't unbearable.

I put a deposit down on the car Tuesday and I'll be leaving to St. Louis on 10/3 to check out the car on 10/4. If it's as nice as it seems in the pics, I'll finally actually belong to this forum ;)

#13 ·
Definitely driving back. Assuming I can actually get... 22ish? on the highway, I'll be spending less than $150.00 to get her home. I've thought about shipping, and I even found one dealer in Cleveland that had a GT that offered $395.00 flat-rate shipping to anywhere in the lower 48, which would be handy. But this dealer does not, and without a deal, I'd assume it'd cost at least a grand. I know my dad had a truck shipped from Abilene to our home near Austin (230 mile drive/4 hour drive) and it cost him $500.

I am excited about the drive for sure... It'll be fun.

#16 ·
haha wellll I've thought about that and I've already decided I don't want to pay tickets in three different states :p I'll be responsible probably at least 95% of the time.

#17 ·
I noticed that too. I'll definitely be looking. CarFax does not show anything like that... but if they did it themselves, doesn't mean they would have reported it :\

I'm going with a couple of friends so I'll have more objective eyes on the car in addition to my own G8-yearning ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.