Pontiac G8 Forum banner

V6 Overkill Tune Thread.

20K views 95 replies 28 participants last post by  Dagreyv6_g8 
#1 ·
Hey Guys Im starting this thread to keep tune stuff in one spot. Post your Questions here and I will do my best to answer them as fast as possible.

#40 ·
I'm not to sure bro. Forgot to ask. I run an oiled k&n. Either way their both good.

#41 ·
Ya.. im kinda scared of the oiled filters since my buddy had one on his car and th motor went bad way before it shudv and th mechanic sed it ws due to the oiled airfilter. And i drive alot of gravel.. i wudnt mind so much if i didnt drive gravel bt id really like my car to live its life to the fullest

#42 ·
I hear ya, if too much oil is used then it could affect it. I have always had k&n. I just don't oil the crap out of it. But if you feel better with a dry one then go with it.

#43 ·
Well i cant really tell you how it helps cause after i got 3.27 installed, i was waiting on the tune for the trans from Will. Then my timing chains went to ****.. So car is in Dumb Mode from that.. Have never had it running fully yet with gears. Now its winter and the car sits away from snow and salt. Going to be Spring before i fix chains and see how it does..

#49 ·
I think it was only like 200-300 rpm at 60

#48 ·
We were there when they opened.

#47 ·
Hang in there Les. I went on a dyno this spring down in Dayton that sent me packing back home with some numbers that did not look that great. Other guys posted that knew that dyno's characteristics and they brightened my day leaving me at 332 HP to the wheels with the correction factor in place. That was before headers so I will be heading down to a local dyno to see what I've after getting the headers +retune on last May.

#51 ·
Numbers are a little lower then I anticipated they would be.

#52 ·
All Dynos are different. You can safely add about 10hp to these numbers. Either way were only going to get so far with bolt ons. There are things in the works now to upgrade it a bit more.
The dyno day, the other guys I talked to said that it seems off a few hp, will do another dyno in spring at different dyno.

#56 ·
Agreed, you can only get so far with bolt ons. I still expected a little higher based on the mods you have.
I think youre correct that the dyno was off by quite a few Hp.

I look forward to the future dyno results and will be getting the tune this spring. For now my pockets are recovering after the new catback

#54 ·
Other things. Not the ecm yet lol. Just looking at options at the moment. He will keep me informed. It's a trial and error kinda thing.

#58 ·
Hey frank let me know details on the dyno. I can try and get it in before I store her for the winter.

#59 ·
RSP MotorSports has an AWD Dyno and they service high end Eurocars.
The process is 2 hours long for just a power assessment but they are willing to tune if you come up with the coin. It is a half million $ dyno and I saw Bentleys, Porsches , Merc & Lexus metal out front. They are in Kilworth just west of London. Is there a high end dyno in Mississauga that's closer to you? Don't know if you want roll out this far but if future plans go right, I would still like to host a meet out this way.

#60 ·
Well don't need it tuned. Jst another run. I'm in Oshawa Frank, but London isn't a problem. How much to just do the dyno there. 2 runs?

#61 ·
It's quite pricey Les. $163 plus tax for what I believe is 3 or 4 runs. I checked with Costco and their 91 that I have in the tank right now is non ethanol top tier fuel like V power from Shell. That's what I was tuned on so I'm looking forward to seeing what the real numbers are.

#62 ·
Holy crap no way. But I use shell 91 in mine. I will find another dyno that's a crazy price.

#63 ·
Yea... I figured that many would find it hard to justify but these guys know that they have the only Dyno of this caliber within 100 miles easy. This one has the ability to get the driveline loss and a bunch of other software. I think that I saw an RSP sticker on a blue Porsche that was driven by someone who was shoving their weight around on the street. He wanted to cut me off after hearing my exhaust and exert his uber German car superiority. I managed to crush that idea with a brief hit of WOT and then he blew by me later and I just let him go. It was a Carrera S so no doubt he would have taken me. I think that he was modded because the road was wide open and he quickly went hyperspace drive. Nice car but the driver needs to tone it down a bit. Speaking of fast, I encountered a guy with a Lincoln MkVIII that was obviously supercharged. I rolled past him on I 94 east a few weeks back and later he was in front of me after I backed off to let a truck in. He laid into it before he took an exit. Did that thing ever haul out! He nearly put a half a mile on me in less than 10 seconds. What a sleeper! It's nice to have a car with bumped up power and the pursuit of the guys with the V6's for better performance is good thang brother. These are great cars to drive in any form. It's also fun to surprise people a bit when you have a sleeper.

#64 ·
Maybe in the spring I will do that. Im going to do some more mods over the winter. So all that info will be useful.

#65 ·
Just got back and all is well in dynoland. I will post up when I get the chance. Numbers were not as big as I was expecting but the power curve was fat with the current tune which the dyno operator said was well balanced for the mods.

#67 ·
Hey bro, Get a CAI. Me personally have a k&n cai. The tune when you order it will come with a couple parts to replace but you need the get a CAI first then.

#69 ·
No problem, always here to here with this.
Trust me when it's all done you will not be disappointed.

#70 ·
I got the ECU and TCM today, after over a month of waiting. Only had time to swap in the ECU with mild 87 tune on my v6, but already a great difference! The hesitation is mostly gone, the engine quicker to rev and shift. Feels like a whole new machine.
This weekend Ill have enough time to pull out the glove box and swap the TCM, but already a big difference. Ill probably be sending back the old ecu, certainly no need for it now.

#72 ·
Yes the TCM is a pain. Just don't rush take your time.

#76 ·
Yes it is in behind and a pain. I know how you feel. I've installed a few and smaller hands help.
Any issues let me know. I'm here for advice,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.