Pontiac G8 Forum banner

G8 GT Maintenance

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  demonspeed 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

08' G8 GT

Bought used a few years ago with 39k miles. Currently at 58k and beginning to have some issues. Whenever I turn the wheel to the right there is consistent click click click. It's been there for a few weeks and finally decided to Google potential causes. Culprit is likely the CV joints, nothing I know about but nice to place a name to it. I plan on taking it in tomorrow but am contemplating a full tune up as well. What do people recommend? Price range? Good timing to kill two birds with one stone? Any feedback welcome.

#2 ·
Update, wheel barring broke down and replaced. I asked them what potential major tuneups may exist in the near future. There doesn't appear to be any until 100k miles. That's eons away for me so what have others fixed to make sure she'll fun for the next 10+ years?

#4 ·
Just to help you spend your money (ha ha) - Many of us have upgraded the struts and shocks around 30k miles as the originals (GT/Fe2) were marginal at best and many felt they were done by ~30k (I'm even more picky and upgraded at 25k). The common reaction to any suspension upgrades has been 'this is the way it should have come from the factory'. The improvements in handling are so worth it.

This FYI is timely as recent board discussions have high lighted the G8/Fe3s (a budget friendly gas charged strut and shock upgrade) are starting to disappear/drop from sellers inventory. After market and the Caprice PPV options are available. Check the other discussions for details.

#5 ·
This FYI is timely as recent board discussions have high lighted the G8/Fe3s (a budget friendly gas charged strut and shock upgrade) are starting to disappear/drop from sellers inventory. After market and the Caprice PPV options are available. Check the other discussions for details.
My "maintenance" list.

AFM Lifters replaced by dealer under TSB at 76k miles. Spark Plugs and wires at 100k, did em myself in the driveway... easy peezy to save some coin on labor. Transmission filter and pan upgraded to Camaro pan and filter at 100k with just the drain and fill of new fluid (reputable shop performed). Rear differential fluid changed at 100k in my driveway. Oil pressure sensors have gone bad twice on me, easy to switch out. Other than those things and doing a full FE3 suspension swap and brakes this car has done very well. Obviously change your oil often enough (there is debate on whether or not to "trust" the oil life monitor), and check your cabin air filter... chances are it needs changing.

#17 ·
I haven't once had to add oil to my G8 between oil changes (once per year). Any pauses for concerns? Whenever I check the dip stick it's always above half.
Nothing to worry about. The engine is tight unless you are losing coolant and the engine oil has a milky color to it. I run mine maybe 5k per year and never have to add oil. But some years have run it a lot more and never had to add oil.

On the strut bushings and the gap when they collapse, there are forums here that have pictures. But look for the horizontal 4" round disks with a black rubber edge. They will be above the wheels under the hood. The gap between the disk and the top of the metal strut tower should be less than a 1/4 inch. When the bushings collapse, they not only squish down but also allow more sideways motion which sucks for handling precision.

#26 ·
I've seen worse. But changed mine before the ones shown by rtdouce.

The angle that the disks have tipped shows
that they are allowing sideways movement. Not good for precise steering.
How significant is this? This is an every day commuter and I drive it as such. Precise turns or race track driving isn't exactly the end all be all for me. If serious I'll definitely take care of it though - taught early that treating your car right = car treating you right.

#25 ·
Well, I don't think they should be crooked like that. Should be relatively squared up. There should be about a 1/4 inch gap, but it should be even all the way around.

#27 ·
How significant is this? This is an every day commuter and I drive it as such. Precise turns or race track driving isn't exactly the end all be all for me. If serious I'll definitely take care of it though - taught early that treating your car right = car treating you right.
OK, its not that bad. I'm more demanding of my G8 for handling so I changed mine before it got to where yours are. But put it on your list to take care of it. I would say change them to poly bushings before your next set of tires or if the gap grows anymore.

#28 ·
Yeah, you'll definitely want to take care of that at least when you do new tires and alignment because it's just going to cause uneven wear and the alignment will constantly be off.

I found that poly bushings didn't make anything harsh at all; however, I'm not sensitive to things of that nature in any way (I prefer it).

#30 ·
I changed my GT suspension at around 42000 miles & my v6 around 48000 miles it does make a difference a makes the car feel tighter.

#31 ·
Since we're on the topic of maintenance, is there a fuel filter to replace? My buddy says that it's a non-serviceable item, which I assume means a sock in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.