Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Engine

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GJD5 
#1 ·
Looks like I'm gonna need an engine soon for the G8
Has anyone tried putting the DI 3.6 in a G8?
I know the camaro has a rwd 3.6 set up

#2 ·
What's wrong with your G8?

#3 · (Edited)
Replaced the timing chains and now the engines been back apart 3 times to realign the chains and a few other things and I'm still getting the codes after it runs a little while
Thinking it's the crankshafts now
I've just had some problems with this engine and wanted to see what I could do if/when it dies

#4 ·
Have you taken it to a real mechanic yet?

#6 ·
Could be the chain guides or cam sensors. Just a thought or the crankshaft sensor.

#8 ·
Memory could serve me wrong, but I am pretty sure the topic has already been discussed in prior threads as far as feasibility and/or reliability are concerned. At any rate, am in a similar boat as yourself. General Motors replaced some timing chain components a few years ago while the car was still under power-train warranty. However, the check engine light came back (P0008) and brought company (P0018 and P0016). Took it to the same stealership that originally performed the work two or three times before they said, we think it could be a sensor or one or more of the timing chains, but can't say for sure. For the nominal fee of $2,877, we'll essentially throw a bunch of parts at it and send you or your merry way. Needless to say, I chuckled, asked him how long is the price good for just for kicks, and drove off. That was several months ago and the car drives fine. If it self-implodes or has a catastrophic failure, will do an engine swap and use the old one for spare parts. In that case, would just about give or take break even. Good luck.

#9 ·
I'm interested also...one thing to really consider is the transmission. The Camaro has a 6 speed, so for simplicity(if not a necessity), I think it would be best to do a engine/tranny swap. Hopefully the engine harness "fits" the G8 engine bay and is a direct swap. Good chance it would I think but I'm speculating.

Main concern I have had is the G8 (with the LY7) has the TCM in the interior and plugs into the interior dash harness and I believe the TCM for the Camaro is internal in the transmission like the V8 G8. Maybe it doesn't matter but I've always seen this as the main obstacle that keeps this from being a direct plug n play swap.

Another note: V6 Camaro has a 3.27 rear diff. Would need to swap in a 3.27 or program your speedometer and shift points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.