Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Rear diffuser issues

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  maxspeed96ct 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a GXP diffuser on the way and need to figure out how to fix a few attachment issues. Since i bought my car 2 years ago, my stock GT diffuser is not attached at 2 points, since at some point in its previous life, they were broken.

Any way i can fix this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, there are 3 things you can do.

Search eBay for junk yard listings for that part. You'll find them. It probably wouldn't be expensive, and they'll sell them when they're untouched. That is option 1.

Option 2 is to cut the busted plastic off, and bolt a metal L-Bracket that fits in the spot to the vertical tab. Use a bolt that is large enough to secure the part, but small enough that the hole you drill doesn't compromise the plastic. Then use another bolt to connect the diffuser.

Option 3 is the aforementioned zip-tie....

#6 ·
Yeah, you're right. I posted that in a flurry and was thinking backwards..... it happens sometimes. :D

#7 ·
Yeah, I'd drill 2 small holes on each piece if there is enough space not too close to the existing holes and use 2 zip ties on each and cinch them down and cut the tails off. That way, it could easily be removed if need be.

#8 ·
92253748 is the GM repair kit part number for those.

Reactions: Just1nASec
#10 ·
You can make a stud by cutting off the head off of a screw/bolt's . J.B. weld that in what's left on the car, and bolt it on.

#13 ·
GM Parts Direct shows the drawings (which others probably do too)... That should be sufficient to see how they'd go over the existing tab.

Nice find. :) Pricey, but it is what it is.

#14 ·
Yeah, super pricey. Over $100 for a little thin bracket? Drill a hole and zip tie it, man.

I bet I could draw up some simple plans and have someone make a big load of them for half the price for each one, probably a lot less.

#15 ·
Why draw up plans when you already can find simple drawings? And why have someone else fab it when you could easily do it yourself for free??? :D :D :D

Just sayin......

#17 ·
I don't have means to accurately cut metal. Do you? I mean, I have tin snips. Maybe that would work for what is needed.

#16 ·
This info is from ALLDATA:

Bulletin No.: 11-08-62-001

Date: May 03, 2011

Subject: Information on Wheel Well Repair Kit

Models:
2006-2011 Chevrolet Caprice (including PPV), Lumina (VE/WM Models)
2008-2010 Pontiac G8

A service kit has been released that allows the repair of the rear fascia to wheel well lower mounting points on all VE/WM variants as shown below.

The fixing points may break due to impact damage and as the spare wheel tub is made from a fibre reinforced material, they are unable to be reliably repaired with plastic welding or other methods.

The kit, Part No. 92253748, includes three metal brackets, which can be affixed to provide a renewed mounting point. Refer to the image below. The kit also contains detailed fitting instructions.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.