Where can I get my G8 keys cut ???? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
North East NY, NJ, PA, MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Where can I get my G8 keys cut ????

I got a new flip key that needs to get cut. I went to at least 5 different locksmiths and no of them can cut my key. If you know of any please let me know Thanks!!

PBM 2008 G8 GT #523
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Dealership? I had the same thing when I got my new key for my Mustang, nobody would cut it but the dealer. Ford dealer charged me $15 bucks. High but I needed it.

Check your local GM dealership.

You can program the key yourself.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM

I've been told the dealer will do it. Have your VIN available as they'll need it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM

Not all dealers can cut these keys. It may take some digging from your dealer, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Christina)
OGOC hang around
Mods: Flux Capacitor, 1000-shot spray, step bars,
a sticker, HY-KERS system, carbon fiber tires.

Personal Best: 12 parsecs @ Kessel Run
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM

Had to get mine cut too. My dealer didn't have the laser cutting tools but they told me of another dealership that did.

Make sure they copy your current set of keys. The first 2 times they tried cutting it based on my vin# or some code that tells them how to cut it and neither of them worked.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM

We have a laser cutter here, and as Karlhungus can attest, we still couldn't cut it. Lacked a component for the cutter.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Christina)
OGOC hang around
Mods: Flux Capacitor, 1000-shot spray, step bars,
a sticker, HY-KERS system, carbon fiber tires.

Personal Best: 12 parsecs @ Kessel Run
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM

I had to have a key cut and my dealer had to send it out to Detroit. It was still under the 3/36 so couldn't tell you how much that would have been. Not cheap though!

Daily driven 2008 GT White Hot (Heron White) - GXP diffuser, tuned by Pro Edge Tuning (Mongillo Motors), sport metallic pedals, SLP "Blackwing" CAI, SLP AxleBack Exhaust, Digital HID headlights 8000k, GXP front facia, VG shark fin antenna, rear roof spoiler, LED tails.

*Summer: 20"x8" frt and 20"x9" rear gloss black powder coat Camaro rims with Hankook Ventus V12 K110's (245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear) with Pontiac caps

*Winter: stock 18's with Hankook iPike W409's (245/45/18)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM

When I bought my car (used), there was only a single flip key - no second key or glove box key. They gave me a check for $185 (I thought generous but surely adequate) to cover the cost of a 2nd key and glove box key, since I lived over 2000 miles away. The new keys (had to get a lock and key set for the glove box) cost just under $100. But the dealer in Burlingame, CA, Putnam GM, hit me up for over $500 to install the lock assy and cut/program the new flip key. I learned afterwards that programming instructions were in the manual.

When I got a Holden flip key on ebay, the guy at the parts counter said the charge to cut a key was $8, but he did mine for free since my car was in for service (that was covered fully under CPO).

Good Luck!

c

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: Commodore Conversion (Front Bar/Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps) Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), S2 IQ Radio, VG Shark Fin
, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 L.S.D., Parking Sensors, Reverse Cam.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8carl View Post
When I bought my car (used), there was only a single flip key - no second key or glove box key. They gave me a check for $185 (I thought generous but surely adequate) to cover the cost of a 2nd key and glove box key, since I lived over 2000 miles away. The new keys (had to get a lock and key set for the glove box) cost just under $100. But the dealer in Burlingame, CA, Putnam GM, hit me up for over $500 to install the lock assy and cut/program the new flip key. I learned afterwards that programming instructions were in the manual.

When I got a Holden flip key on ebay, the guy at the parts counter said the charge to cut a key was $8, but he did mine for free since my car was in for service (that was covered fully under CPO).

Good Luck!

c
I thought that there weren't any holden keys that fit our cars?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

09 panther black G8 GT
Show:19x9.5's rear w/rolled fenders, 18x9.5's front, 20% tint, trim/lense tint in progress, sub rewire, amp adj, VIM w/ dvd in gb, interior blackout in progress.
Go: spectre, hsrk, lpm, pacesetter LTs, full 2.5" cat/mid/res delete, flowmaster ABs, INTENSE tune.
97 Red GP GTP- ECM, headers, custom exhaust, ported blower, heads, TB, CAI, etc....... sold
91 GP GTP- L67 swap, tranny, headers, exhaust, ECM, and a few more.... ;-) sold
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM
The Mustang dude

How much did you guys pay for the new flip key? Mine fell apart a while ago and I'm torn between getting another flip style key or just getting a fixed key.
Also, whats the glove box lock set cost?

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 AM

I got a flip key for a VE Commodore on ebay and it works fine. Never have seen a fixed Holden key that didn't have a Chevy bowtie on it.

I *thought* I'd kept records, but I can't find what I paid for the glovebox and flip key lock set(s). The ticket says they were customer-supplied. Yeah, after I bought it from them. The parts orders were on a different ticket.

Anyhoo, they charged $306 to cut and program the flip key (with remote fob, so it were a 2-fer ) and $229 to R&R the glovebox lock set.

I looked on one of the GM parts web sites and they show a "retail" of 29.45 for the glovebox lock set, but ever different part site has slightly different prices, so check 'em out. IMO, it might be better to pay the dealer for the part and save maybe $20+ for shipping, with a 3-week wait for delivery.

Perf Yrs now has some '04-06 GTO and G8 stuff, so they might have them

c

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: Commodore Conversion (Front Bar/Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps) Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), S2 IQ Radio, VG Shark Fin
, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 L.S.D., Parking Sensors, Reverse Cam.

Last edited by g8carl; 05-02-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add'n
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 AM

My local dealer charged me less than $100 for the remote and the key already cut. I programmed myself using the DIC and the owners manual instructions.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM

I don't understand why people are buying un-cut keys when the pre-cut keys are the same price. Am I missing something here?

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHotG8GT View Post
I don't understand why people are buying un-cut keys when the pre-cut keys are the same price. Am I missing something here?
Well I was looking at uncut because I figured they'd be less expensive and also because I can swap in my current key and transmitter. Now if I have to buy a whole new key, I'd just assume get another fixed key because the whole "switchblade" style has proven to be a problem waiting to happen.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page