Utah G8 questions - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Rocky Mountain CO, UT, WY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Utah G8 questions

We are going to be taking out G8 GT across country and will be in Salt Lake Next Friday. We are staying for a month visiting my wifes family.. Wonderring 2 things..

1. Do you guys on a stock tune run 87 or 85 octane??

2. is there any local car hangouts in the SLC area that you guys cruise to or what not?? Here in NJ there is a car show/Cruise pretty much every night of the week. Just want to see if its like that in SLC..

2009 G8 GT
2002 WS6 T/A
1998 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM

I know nothing about SLC.

Minimum octane is 87 and I run that on the road (with 87 tune) when traveling and is OK per owners manual. Some people tend to think that premium is required but it is not per GM.

As i understand it, in higher elevations, 85 is available and works the same as 87 in lower elevations. Running 85 while in Utah or colorado springs is fine but if you are just traveling through, 87 would be better as once you are lower in elevation, you may experience pinging or knocking. I lived in Colo Springs for a few years and 85 is standard gas and 93 is almost completely unavailable as 90 or 91 is premium there.

09 GT, Stryker Blue, Sport/Prem
07 Solstice GXP, Mean Yellow, tuned
03 Excursion, 6" Fab lift, V10, 37s
94 Bronco, 5.8L, 35s and rust
03 RC51
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

We are going to be in SLC for a month so yeah its 85 reg, 87 mid, and 91 Super.. Our car is pretty much stock with a vararam and GXP mufflers with a stock tune. My wife just asked me if 85 is okay to run and I really dont have a clue. I am sure the higher elevation plays a factor like you say and as long as she is not beating on the car while out there then I would think 85 would be okay but I dont want to take a chance unless people who have G8 GT's have run that octane without issues..

2009 G8 GT
2002 WS6 T/A
1998 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page