Where should I go for cam/heads & other work? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Rocky Mountain CO, UT, WY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Where should I go for cam/heads & other work?

I'm starting to plan and save up for a cam swap (non dod), with some mild head work, header install & dyno tune. I do not have the tools or DIY skills to do myself so I will need to pay someone and I'd prefer a reputable shop because I want high quality work done and done right. I'd like a shop that I can continue to work with over the years to build my current and future beasts (future torque converter, suspension & brake upgrades).

I just moved to Longmont but will go anywhere from Ft Collins to Denver.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 AM

I imagine the trek is too far to use RMCR here in Colorado Springs,so maybe some of the guys further north can chime in? I think the Corvette Clinic might be an option for you.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Arrival

Check out Finish Line Automotive and Performance out by 64th and beach off of federal Blvd, Denver.

They seem to be pretty good. I am going to have them retune my car from what it was.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM

Clint at AIR in Arvada/Wheatridge...
Corvette Connection...
Colorado Performance Unlimited...

09 G8 GT in Stryker Blue Metallic
Mods
Go: Vararam CAI, SLP Headers, ATI 25% UDP, Magnaflow 12468 mid-muffler, PM-FL Axleback & FE3 Shocks N Struts.
Tuned by MAC Autosports of Parker, Colorado

Show: Little Trees US Flag Vanilla Scented Air Freshener; SLP Firehawk wheels...

The Track
Best 1/4: 13.969 @ 102.70mph @ Pueblo Motorsports Park
DA of 3921', with an actual elevation of 4662'
Pueblo, Colorado
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Garage
There is a place in Longmont called Corvette Spa Motorsports.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM

you can PM COG8Man
He is in the Berthoud area

Mods
Go: Vararam CAI, SLP Headers, ATI 25% UDP, Magnaflow 12468 mid-muffler, PM-FL Axleback & FE3 Shocks N Struts.

Show: Little Trees US Flag Vanilla Scented Air Freshener; SLP Firehawk wheels...

The Track
Pueblo, Colorado
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry, I've been missing in action for a few weeks cuz I got locked out of my acct but Zepcom helped me out and I'm back.....

So, I was worrying about my warranty (I'm at 73k miles) and the fact that a year from now I'll have to have my emissions test so I decided I'm going to wait until I'm out of warranty and passed emissions. I've also decided I'm going to pass on the Kooks mids and go full on with either ARH 1 7/8" LT's or Kooks 1 7/8" LT's and catted mid pipe. For the cam and tune I'm going to have Pat G spec me a cam and go with his tune since he seems to be the best G8 tuner out there. I will probably also go ahead with a torque converter and head/valve work because I've got a year to save up and I figure if I'm going to go I might as well go BIG!

So, in the meantime, I just ordered myself the Cortex since it has received rave reviews for a beginner tune and tranny tune. I've had my Rotofab for about 6 months and Solo Axle backs and I love the car now but I want to disable AFM and have a better shifting tranny so I figure this will hold me over for a year, at which time I'll sell the Cortex and Solo Axle backs and put $5-7K into building a BEAST.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Moving to Parker / Castle Rock at the begining of the year. Trying to decide if I want to install the cam and TC out there at a independent shop or go to Livernois in MI this fall and have them install the cam and dyno tune the car there. I understand the Livernois way will be more $$$ but would have a better peace of mind w/ their work.

Any thoughts?

2008 LR GT

Pat G tune, LS7 MAF, RCR P/P/Milled LS3 Heads & valve job, ported AirRam Intake / TB & Little Lunati cam, Pypes LT's, Solo CB, Spectre CAI, Powerbond UDP

BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR F&R Swaybars, Teins & FE3's
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I'd go to Livernois. I don't think it would be more expensive. I got some quotes out here and they are about the same as Livernois but I don't trust them as much as I would a well known G8 shop. Just my $.02.
I've been to Lombard a lot, you will like living out here MUCH more than that concrete jungle.
My folks and brother live in Michigan and I was thinking I may drive out there next year and have Livernois do my DOD delete/Cam swap, Heads, Long Tube install and TC work.

2009 G8 GT
Kooks LT's 1 7/8", catted X pipe to GXP mufflers
Rotofab intake, Avant Garde staggered summer wheels
Pat G tuned

2003 Corvette coupe
6spd Manual, lowered on C6 wheels
Long tube headers, Corsa catback
Heads/cam, Hurricane intake

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanx RockyMt, I would trust Livernois more also.

Why u been to Lombard?

That would be a nice road trip for you and even better on the way home.

We'll have to get together sometime in the spring after I get out there.

2008 LR GT

Pat G tune, LS7 MAF, RCR P/P/Milled LS3 Heads & valve job, ported AirRam Intake / TB & Little Lunati cam, Pypes LT's, Solo CB, Spectre CAI, Powerbond UDP

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

I met with Fruitful Yield stores and they are head quartered in Lombard (health food stores). I am familiar with the area having travelled for business visiting Whole Foods stores and regional office in Chicagoland.
I've got family there too, having grown up in Wisconsin.
Let me know when you get to Colorado! Unfortunately there is only 91 octane gas here..... ;-(

2009 G8 GT
Kooks LT's 1 7/8", catted X pipe to GXP mufflers
Rotofab intake, Avant Garde staggered summer wheels
Pat G tuned

2003 Corvette coupe
6spd Manual, lowered on C6 wheels
Long tube headers, Corsa catback
Heads/cam, Hurricane intake

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM

91, boo. Guess I'll have to get Livernois to switch it then, thanks for the heads up.

2008 LR GT

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Reviving an old thread.

Still here in IL but still plan on moving out to CO this year after GONE 2013. Looking into south of Denver (Parker/Castle Rock) all the way down to the Springs. Kinda depends on if my wife gets a job at a hospital in the Springs where her sister works.

Anyways, just wanted to double check two things...

1) 91 octane is the highest available out there? This is actually ok b/c I just filled up w/ 93 octane over the wknd at $4.999 a gallon. Is 91 readily available or are most running a lower octane?

2) How does emmissions go? Here in IL they just plug into the OBDII and read the codes. I have Kooks mids w/ HFC's but am considering switching to catless LT's and was wondering if they hook anything up to the exhaust or look under the car for cats.

Thanks and am looking forward to a new start in my life in what should be a beautiful part of this great country.

2008 LR GT

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM

1) 91 octane is the highest available out there? This is actually ok b/c I just filled up w/ 93 octane over the wknd at $4.999 a gallon. Is 91 readily available or are most running a lower octane?

The higher the altitude, the lower the octane requirements for gasoline engines. Hence the lack of 93 octane here. You can run 91 octane in Colorado with the same tune you would run with 93 octane at sea level. It's widely available (almost all gas stations), so you don't need to worry about finding it.

2) How does emmissions go? Here in IL they just plug into the OBDII and read the codes. I have Kooks mids w/ HFC's but am considering switching to catless LT's and was wondering if they hook anything up to the exhaust or look under the car for cats.

In Colorado it depends on the county. Some counties don't require emissions at all, but most do. There is generally a rolling dyno test in which a sampling hose is hooked to your exhaust and the car is run through a series of tests. Additionally, some techs will look for cats, while some won't. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

2009 SBM G8 GT - Sold
2005 IBM GTO - Bolt-ons - Sold
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Great, I'll just keep the 93 octane Livernois tune on the car and run 91 out there and shouldn't run into any problems.

Maybe I'll look into the OBX Long tube system which has a midpipe that looks like a cat but is just a bigger pipeing area

2008 LR GT

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Arrival

You can drive by mobile emissions testing stations on freeway on ramps. If you drive by those three times in a year and pass they should mail you stuff to register without having to go to the emissions testing facility.

2009 Black Diamond Metallic G8 GT.

Vararam intake, straight pipes, zex nitrous, tuned by Finish Line Performance, Beltronics Pro 500, Blinder HP-905, Casper's HSRK, Sickspeed oil catch can, Brakeperformance slotted and dimpled rotors/pads, Russell SS lines, black G2 painted calipers.

Wheels: Hustler 431's F:20x8.5 R:20x10 wrapped in Falken FK452's F:245/35ZR20 R:275/30ZR20.

Conservative: 444 RWHP/520RWTQ

Last edited by Dead0n; 06-12-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: phone keyboard is st3wp!d.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 PM

Parker/Castle Rock is Douglas County... hello emissions testing.

Mods

The Track
Pueblo, Colorado
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Garage
I would check out american intense racing. they are very good with ls cars
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM

If you are feeling froggy andhave deep pockets you can stop by Chief Petroleum in the Springs and get their 100 octane unleaded for like $7 a gallon. But only if you are feeling froggy. Thats too funny you guys are mentioning Lombard. I spent a handful of years there. Now im stationed in C. Springs at Fort Carson. You also mentioned your wife getting a job at a hospital in the Springs, Do you know which hospital?

@Dead0n, I see your sig says Zex Nitrous, What kit do you run and what HP Shot do you use?

Project Midnight
Just your typical family 4 door.
GXP Rear Defuser, Concept Darts and MM Fender and Headlight Hardware.
Intake, Exhaust, P&P TB, UDP, TStat, Heater Hose Relocation Kit, and a few other small things.
BMR SFC, TB, STB. UMI Toe Links and Trailing Arms.
VMR VB3 Staggared 19" w/ Conti DW Rubber
DBA T3 Slotted with Hawk HPS Pads.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM

I believe it's called Memorial, she's applying there and others in the south Denver area.

Anybody know of any resources for houses to rent? I'll look on Craigslist and some other websites but figured I'd ask. Also, jobs for me? I'm an accountant and will look into the same field but am open to a labor/outdoor job.

Thanks,
Dustin

2008 LR GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page