Speed Week Bonneville Aug 10, 2013 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Rocky Mountain CO, UT, WY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Speed Week Bonneville Aug 10, 2013

Anyone ever do the speed week racing at Bonneville? I would love too since I'll be living in Colorado now but I'm not sure how to go about registering for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Garage
Nope, but I've been out on the salt flats. You should probably check out the SCTA page for the rules/regs and costs for Speed Week. Also checkout the USFRA page. They actually run on the salt a few times of the year, but it's very dependent on the weather (and the effects on the track surface). I got lucky when I was driving by last year, they just finished running the “World Finals" ... Blog Entry.

There are a couple different way to do it "officially", but it's been a while since I read the rules. I'd probably start with the shorter tracks (standing mile) in the "club" type things (130mph and 150mph club, etc.) and not 3/5/>7 mile top-speed runs.

-Todd...

PS - You're going to want to setup your car for running on the salt... wide tires don't work well (increased rolling resistance, more prone to spinning, etc.). It's a different game than drag racing that's for sure!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

So are you allowed to drive on the salt flats on your own or is it closed off to the public?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
So are you allowed to drive on the salt flats on your own or is it closed off to the public?
It's a public area... the paved road just stops and the salt begins. There's nothing there to "keep you out" and nowhere have I seen anything saying you can't. I would avoid the area if it has rained recently, as the place becomes a nasty mess (from what I've heard getting stuck is a $500 minimum for a tow).

The first time I went there (two years ago) it was early in the day and the place was completely dead. I didn't go onto the salt, since I didn't know if I could or not. Last year they were racing, so there were quite a few cars/trucks on the paved road and at the gas station, and everyone I spoke with said "yeah, you can go out there".

Based on the Utah.com website:
Quote:
The Bonneville Salt Flats is administered by the Bureau of Land Management for public use and enjoyment.

Help preserve the Bonneville Salt Flats!
  • Stay on existing roads or areas designated for vehicles. Despite the appearance of a hard surface, much of the area is a thin salt crust over soft mud. It easily breaks under the weight of a vehicle.
  • Stay off the salt surface when it is covered by water. When wet, the salt surface is soft and easily damaged by vehicles. Furthermore, the salt water is highly corrosive and can "short-out" the electrical system in your vehicle.
  • Be prepared for desert conditions. Temperatures can exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and drop well below 0 in the winter.
  • There are no facilities or services on the salt flats. Temporary facilities are available during racing events.
  • Overnight stays are prohibited on the salt flats. Camping is encouraged on surrounding public lands. Private campgrounds and hookups are available in nearby Wendover, ten miles west of the Bonneville Salt Flats. Other accommodations and services are also available in Wendover. Call 1-866-299-2489 for more information.
To be honest, I would not have driven as fast as I did if it hadn't been a race weekend. Knowing the stretch I was driving on was dry/solid (and had been driven on by hundreds of other cars/trucks) made a big difference. In hindsight what I did probably wasn't the safest thing either... I wasn't even wearing a helmet... if I wanted to do it again I'd make it official and participate in either the 130mph or 150mph club events.

-Todd...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

So no speed restrictions on the public parts?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM

No cops out there....make sure someone knows where you're at in case you dont return on time

09 G8 GT in Stryker Blue Metallic
Mods
Go: Vararam CAI, SLP Headers, ATI 25% UDP, Magnaflow 12468 mid-muffler, PM-FL Axleback & FE3 Shocks N Struts.
Tuned by MAC Autosports of Parker, Colorado

Show: Little Trees US Flag Vanilla Scented Air Freshener; SLP Firehawk wheels...

The Track
Best 1/4: 13.969 @ 102.70mph @ Pueblo Motorsports Park
DA of 3921', with an actual elevation of 4662'
Pueblo, Colorado
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Sweetness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page