Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Fast G8 GT on the cheap.

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Podium 
#1 ·
You know I just wanted to share one of I hope of many mile stones with my G8. I installed a Ram Air and a True dual 3.5" exhaust with cut outs. No resonators, No Mufflers, cat back stock manifolds. And a tuner and just did 140 before a semi truck and some traffic showed on the horizon. Easily shifting almost 7K only three gears. Yeah it is a manual automatic 6 spd. I seen a stock GT barely due 150 in 6th on another sight? Anyway I guess I was excited mostly because the speed limiter was finally gone! I had been to 150 when I was much younger in a 72 road runner. I guess the next time some clear highway presents itself. Speedometer says 180 anyone seen it or buried it? I don't build cars for top end normally. Always 1/4 mile. Amazing how the tuner has woken up the engine. Not saying it wasn't fast stock but amazing. Very raspy idle. The transmission is shifting hard in one and two. Plenty of positive grip and chirp at shift points from the almost 12" wide tires. Raising the Rev limiters has helped also. Just FUN! So much FUN! So stable and glued to the pavement. Aero is amazing on these cars. Thank You Holden and GM. Anyone know the designers name. I've been building my G8 since 2009. A little money here and there. Birthday, Christmas gifts. I recently hit 100K. I drive it every day and it is a blast. Winter Spring Summer Fall. Just wanted to share. My wife would kill me if I told her!:grin2:

#4 ·
Awesome. I did my cut outs at the rear axles too. Sometimes I wonder if I would of been better off to put them up front.

#5 ·
Yeah I totally get that. But I am running 40 Series tires all around, It sets the stance low and they wouldn't fit. I have a 3rd gen Camaro I built a 3.5" exhaust. It came out just before the rear tire. I had to insulate the floor to protect the carpet from the heat. You know what I love the fact you can clearly see the cut out from the rear when following or loosing, depends how you see them. Many people have taken photos of them. I use the auto start, and walking out to the parking lot of work twice with teens and adults taking pictures of it from the back. They get startled when it roars to life with no one in it. Not to many people see a quad large pipe rear exit exhaust anymore especially with cut outs. Reminds me of the 50's hot rods that inspire me in my builds still today. Got to inspire the next generation some way. Loud and proud. I actually failed my state inspection because of the no mufflers. No problem, I am fabricating some muffler shells, drill one hole in the tail pipes to vent into the shells, slip them over the tail pipes, weld them up. They will look the part and it will pass. My state law only requires that it have them. By the way I noticed in your descript of your G8. You are going Holden style also. I have stripped mine of all G8 badges. I am going for the Holden version in Australia Commodore SS. I have the SS badges both front and rear lions heads, Lion graphics. Most of all I have with fiberglass removed the split grill and center pillar. Reshaped the hood front. Fabricated the grill surround. Purchased the grill material. I am ready for my respray. I planned to spray it in the spring but the wives car got a stuck lifter and I have been repairing it. Not quite a 6.0L but it is a 5.3L SS Impala. I can't afford the outrages prices to get the parts to do it, so I make them. I still can't believe GM shut down Holden! There would not be the Cadillac CTSV, the Camaro and the G8. What a shame.

#6 ·
When I got mine it was debadged already. I still have all my emblems but wanted to go with a different look. When I saw the Holden logo I got in touch with crazy Paul and had it shipped. Now I hear you can get em on Ebay. I dont plan on doing a whole Holden redo. But it's cool you are. I dig the look. Also cool you are handy capable : ) I do auto detailing but mechanics isn't my bag.

Yea I love when I fire up the g with cut outs open too. I also dig the options of being almost stock quiet or loud as hell . Sleeper car when I want her to be.

Agreed about the gm Holden thing. To bad.

Well safe driving!

#7 ·
Yeah I had a detail shop in the day. It's funny when I detail my G8 I have to remember what to use, on what and how often. I am on my second steering wheel dry rot cracking. I lost my passenger side lower seat cover to dry rot. Lucky on ebay for really cheap I was able to get both front and back original leather covers. I haven't installed them yet but am realy getting tired of looking at the tear. Steering wheel I am not sure about. Leather sew on covers are affordable but bulky and don't fit perfect? After market steering wheels don't fit all the switches and air bag. New stock high price. Any recommendation for the leather. I got this product Luxor for the leather?

#9 ·
Not familiar with the Luxor brand, but there is a lot of different companies. When it comes to leather you have to keep in mind that leather is porous. Our leather seats in particular are leather inserts. The whole seat isn't leather. I use hot but not burning hot water with my cleaner to help open the pours to keep the leather breathable. Another thing is to make sure the cleaner is ph balanced for leather. If the cleaner you use is to strong you can risk removing the dye. Conditioner will help keep her soft and keep from cracking. I use lexol for cleaner and just switched to Maguires leather balm for conditioner. Love the smell. Oh and tinting the windows will help keep the sun off the leather.

Best of luck getting her fixed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.