Pontiac G8 Forum banner

I like this car.

7K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Aaron407 
#1 ·
Hello. I posted in the Newbie forum, but wanted to add a little more here. Indulge me; I'm a new owner. You remember how it is.

I've been a car guy for my whole life, and I've owned a variety: Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Jeep, etc. and enjoyed them all. I was fully aware of the G8 when it came out, but wasn't in a position financially to buy a new car at that point. So I kept it in the back of my mind for the right time. Now, about to pass a car down to one of my kids who's getting a license, it seemed like the right time. Enter the G8: Panther Black, 2009 GT with both option packages, 79k miles. Very well-maintained car.

I picked this up five days ago, and am really loving it so far. The car is basically stock, but has a cold air intake and axle-back exhaust. I plan to use it as an (almost) daily driver, so I'm probably not looking at any major mods right now. It's got the Camaro 20's, which I'm not that crazy about but they'll do for a while. Might trade them for something down the road. Right now I'm focused on getting a set of winter wheels and snow tires, since I'm in the Midwest.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share how happy I am to be part of this community finally. What a fun car, and it's actually practical for a guy with a family and lots of stuff to carry around too. Here's a pic or two; enjoy!

See less See more
Reactions: ekt8750
#2 ·
Welcome to the family! I have to say I like that stance the 20s give it. Pretty aggressive looking.

#3 ·
Thanks! I definitely have mixed feelings on the wheels...they are aggressive, in a good way. It might just be the tires that seem to look almost stretched. I wouldn't mind having a bit more tire on there.

#5 ·
Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. The tires on it are 255/35/20 all around.

#11 ·
Welcome from a fellow newbie. Nice ride!

#12 ·
Great looking find!

Although very aggressive looking with 20s, the crap roads here make me cringe seeing your picts. The roads here are already breaking up again and all the patch jobs from previous years just keep building up. So consider the real road conditions in your area when thinking about new wheels. (I stayed with 18s)

#13 ·
Yes, that's one of my concerns too. Midwest roads are problematic also. If I had my choice I would maybe compromise and go 19", but these were on the car when I bought. I'll get some snows on 18's and get through the winter, then see what I want to do.

#14 ·
Welcome! I've driven mine daily for nearly 8 years now. I love it. The winter tires work wonders on this car, I've never gotten stuck or lost confidence.

While I do like the look of the Camaro 20s, I ended up staying with 18s so I could have a little bit more sidewall.

#16 ·
Update after a week and a half of ownership: yep, still love it.

Got snow tires mounted on an extra set of rims yesterday. I'll add a pic when I put them on the car.

#18 ·
Got my winter tires on today. I know, it's a little late in the season, but I just bought the car in December. Also, as luck would have it, there hasn't been much need for snow tires here yet.

#20 ·
Hey welcome! I to have the Camaro 20's sitting on H&R coil overs. Also in the midwest. Roads not the best and this car is not exactly light. But I rolled the fenders and dont really drive it in winter. But if the roads are totally dry I admit I can't help but drive it. Other wise my truck is used in inclement weather. I'm torn between enjoying and prolonging the inevitable.

#29 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm in the market for a 2009 G8 GT - I've always wanted a G8 but have never come close to owning one.
Lately I've been on the hunt but have been hesitant because I don't know enough about them. I work in the used car industry so I have access to Manheim wholesale inventory pricing so I can make sure dealerships aren't screwing me over, and I can run history reports on the VIN #s.
I was interested in getting a G8 GT with under 90k miles but I was wondering if there's any main issues I should expect at a certain amount of miles (60k, 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k, etc.)

Any information will help, thank you!

#30 ·
The main issues would be lifter tick, suspension parts(primarily lower control arms & bushings) and sagging headliners. These seem to be the most talked about.

#31 ·
I plan to use it as an (almost) daily driver, so I'm probably not looking at any major mods right now.
Bah, don't let the DD aspect stop you from modding how you want. I daily drive mine with a maggie, exhaust, etc. right through our ridiculous Saskatchewan winters with just a wheel/tire swap. -43C (-45F) a few weeks ago and it ran like a champ. I haven't even switched the small supercharger pulley for a bigger one for the last couple of winters :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.