First mods. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

First mods.

Searched around .
I own a 2008 G8 GT.
Wondering what everyone did for there first set of mods or must do mods as soon as you get it.

Next year I'll be buying the brembo brake kits from ZZP

I use to own a mustang [ actually still do till I sell it next year]

SO I'll have some money to do some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 PM

Can go wrong with a good CAI. relatively cheep and no tune needed.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 PM

C.a.i. , exhaust , tune. I always assumed that's universal in the sports car world lol. Happy modding!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM

Cam & DOD elimination.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 PM

I'm in a similar boat, starting out with mods. My first was a Roto-Fab intake. Next, was Solo axle-backs to quickly give it sound, stock was annoyingly quiet. The best, quick thing I did was to get a Cortex tuner. For around $200 for a used one, it's well worth it. And assuming you get a cam, headers, etc (which will require more tuning than a Cortex can do), you can get your money back out of the Cortex when you're done with it.

I'm starting to compile my list and pick parts for DOD-delete and cam. BTR is probably the direction I'll go.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Garage
My first mod was a cai. I have a VCM, It's a little more money than most, but it is worth it I my opinion. I got it with the side panels and it looks really nice and does a great job in performance!

09, G8 GT
Premium and Sport Pkgs

VCM cai, BMR front & rear swaybars, front BMR swaybar end links. Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers & Kooks 3" catted X-pipes, with Magnaflow Axle Backs 16883. 160 degree thermostat. NGK TR6IX spark plugs. Full Dyno Tune 372 rwhp. SuperPro SPF-TRC2000 motor mounts. PowerBond Race Performance Harmonic Balancer. Holden V8/6.0 quarter panel badge, Pontiac front & rear arrows with Holden lion insert (black & chrome), drilled/slotted rotors.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:33 AM

I went with a Spectre C.A.I. as my first mod (so far) as it is easy to do in about an hour. You don't have to have crazy mechanical skills to do it or lots of tools. It's one of the least expensive and easily reversible mods to do. Looks cool as all get out and sounds good under throttle.
Start out with small steps and build as your budget allows.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 AM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhardt View Post
Searched around .
I own a 2008 G8 GT.
Wondering what everyone did for there first set of mods or must do mods as soon as you get it.

Next year I'll be buying the brembo brake kits from ZZP

I use to own a mustang [ actually still do till I sell it next year]

SO I'll have some money to do some stuff
Brembo's are a great upgrade, just keep in mind they won't fit under the stock wheels.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:13 PM

I have the brembo brake kit from ZZP on my G8 GXP a little priceyer than piecing it together but it was worth it to me for the turn key factor. I cant speak to G8 GT rim fitment
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 05:22 PM

I started out with CAI, headers, HFC's & tune then went with fe3's shocks & struts, rear cradle inserts & Moog end links. Next mod was LL cam DOD with all the supporting hardware & re tune. I put solo axle backs next as I won these at Lakeview.Next will be rotors & pads which I might be putting on next year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Replaced the collapsing strut bushings at 8k miles and then the crappy Fe2 dampers at 21k miles.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Save you money on all the little stuff. It's much better to start with a real CAI, aka LSA. Then you will get the right mods afterwords to support. None of the small talk stuff. Been there, done that, never again.

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 10:31 AM

First Question you need to ask yourself is how much money are you willing to spend. Are you thinking 1-2k, or 8-9k. And what do you want out of it, do you not like the wheels on it, do you want to lower it, does it need tires. Alot of those things add up in a hurry. Also are you doing the work yourself, or paying a shop. I spent over $7000 on a cam(no DOD delete for my LS3), headers, intake, exhaust, stall converter, tune, and wheels and tires. But i also did all the work myself, and hit the black friday sales pretty good.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 AM

I did a roto-fab CAI, then a botched DOD delete after the original DOD lifters failed after the warranty ran out. Then I dropped 9k into a crate LS3 when the original motor failed from the bad DOD delete. Now I'm moving to California so I have to get rid of the roto-fab and buy yet another tune.

The point being that even trying to do conservative mods can be expensive. I'm driving a G8 GT with an LS3 for right around what it would have cost to just buy a GXP to begin with.

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Premium
CPP LS3 Crate Motor, stock except for Custom Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune due to California emissions
Gone: Roto-fab CAI, LS7 MAF w/ 100mm 1:4 honeycomb, Catch Can
FE3 struts/shocks, BMR poly strut bushings
Subwoofer polarity mod and sub amp gain
My other rides: F-15E, A320, B737
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Garage
Agreed! I?m newer to the g8 world and it all depends on goals. I personally did VCM, exhaust and will get a proper tune in the spring when I get it back out

95' Z-28 - sold
02' Wrx - sold for...
04' STi - sold
07' Wrx TR - sold
03' Lightning - sold
08' IOM G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page