• 2 Post By davidfoster
  • 1 Post By G8One2
  • 1 Post By davidfoster
  • 1 Post By Jova007200
  • 1 Post By mjones73

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy harmonic balancer

so last night i was driving did a little pull first and second gear let off and the harmonic balancer fell off lost power steering and started to over heat in the matter of seconds... well my question is what are the steps in fixing this what should i check ? i did get a slp harmonic balancer. should i check timing or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Did the balancer bolt break off in the crank? What made the balancer come off? The balancer is not keyed to the crankshaft. There is a friction washer and a torque to yield bolt that holds it all together. If the balancer came off, the timing could be off. If that happened you could have had piston kissing valves. I would do a thorough diagnostic before making any repairs. Depending how bad the overtemp condition was, you could have other issues...
g8isstock likes this.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

i didnt let it get to hot i parked and turned the car off and the bolt came out aswell

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:53 PM

I'm assuming the balancer bolt started backing off, eventually fell off and then the balancer came off? If so did the bolt, balancer or belts cause any damage to radiator/condenser, sensors or other pulleys?
As long as the car was shut off immediately the overheating should not of caused damage. Get an ARP balancer bolt and install per ARP instructions. You will also need a Flywheel locking tool so the engine doesn't spin(requires removal of starter which is sometimes a pain)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
g8isstock likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:01 PM

I agree, if it was shut off immediately it likely didn't overheat enough to do any damage. I would definatly check the stuff around the front of the engine from parts that flew off. If everything look ok, put the new balancer on with a new bolt.... see what happens.
g8isstock likes this.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

ill keep you guys updated just ordered the SLP Harmonic Balancer/Underdrive Pulley - 2008+ G8 GT and the arp bolt ill probably check timing just to make sure nothing was harmed good way to do a tune up . thanks again guys
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM

Garage
I really doubt the timing would have changed. That would have required your timing chain break free behind the timing cover. Having the balancer come off sure is scary though! I bet that made one hell of a racket!
g8isstock likes this.

[SIGPIC]https://www.g8board.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic85730_2.gif[/SIGPIC]

Comp Cams 222/234 113 lsa, 1.8 roller rockers, 2800 stall, Kooks Mids, Borla Catback, Brembos, VMR V710's, Pedders XA Coilovers, Tuned it myself with HP Tuners
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8isstock View Post
ill keep you guys updated just ordered the SLP Harmonic Balancer/Underdrive Pulley - 2008+ G8 GT and the arp bolt ill probably check timing just to make sure nothing was harmed good way to do a tune up . thanks again guys
There's no timing associated with the balancer...
g8isstock likes this.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM

If the damper has been shuffling around on the nose of the crank, there may be some wear.
If the press between the crank and new damper is not good, you may be starting down the road on "my damper fell off again" posts.

You might what to research crank and damper pinning kits.

Since you have already ordered a non keyway damper, the front pinning method may be for you

like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS3....c100009.m1982

edit , you already bought the ARP bolt
G8One2 and g8isstock like this.

Black M6 GXP
Black '09 GT
LS7 T56 Chev Wagon
'70 W31 Cutlass
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM

There may or may not be an issue with the timing. But think about this, the damper and bolt is what press fits the timing gear to the crank. There is a key way for the crank gear, but without that press fit of the damper and bolt. That crank gear is free to move wherever it want. It "could" walk off the key way causing the timing to jump. Now the question is, did this happen? Maybe not. Is it possible? Yes it is. Did it happen? Maybe not, but you wont know unless you inspect. What adds to this is crank endplay, cam endplay and timing chain slack. Also, depending on if he was on or off the throttle when it came off, the engine will be loaded forward on the throttle and loaded backward on decell. This alone could push the crank gear off the keyway. Having said all this, what would you do if it was your engine? I know what i would do, I'd check over some things.....
g8isstock likes this.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Garage
Actually, no, the crank sprocket is not secured on by the balancer and balancer bolt. It's tucked away behind the oil pump, as seen in this image of my engine taken this past week.

g8isstock likes this.

Comp Cams 222/234 113 lsa, 1.8 roller rockers, 2800 stall, Kooks Mids, Borla Catback, Brembos, VMR V710's, Pedders XA Coilovers, Tuned it myself with HP Tuners
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfoster View Post
Actually, no, the crank pulley is not secured on by the balancer and balancer bolt. It's tucked away behind the oil pump, as seen in this image of my engine taken this past week.

I stand corrected! My apologies, i work on too many damn Fords. I even did the cam install on my car and completely forgot how that went together.... Thanks for pointing that out and correcting me on that. Epic fail on my part! Even so, if it were my car, I'd still want to inspect things to make sure. I've seen cracked crank gears from dampers falling off of dyno engines.
g8isstock likes this.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
I stand corrected! My apologies, i work on too many damn Fords. I even did the cam install on my car and completely forgot how that went together.... Thanks for pointing that out and correcting me on that. Epic fail on my part! Even so, if it were my car, I'd still want to inspect things to make sure. I've seen cracked crank gears from dampers falling off of dyno engines.
No biggie, there's no harm in checking that's for sure!
G8One2 and g8isstock like this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfoster View Post
No biggie, there's no harm in checking that's for sure!
I build Ford engines on a daily basis, I for some reason had that pictured in my head when i was thinking about that lol
g8isstock likes this.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
I build Ford engines on a daily basis, I for some reason had that pictured in my head when i was thinking about that lol
Older chevy blocks used to be more that way if I remember correctly. I don't have a photo of the actual gear, without the oil pump on, but the gear would have to completely slide off of the crank to jump timing.
g8isstock likes this.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Garage
I was scratching my head over the timing thing...

You see, this particular Torque to Yield bolt requires A LOT of torque on the final pass. The fourth pass is 230 degrees. Some folks will turn it with a heavy duty impact wrench and move on. 230 degrees, maybe 70-90 at a time. Doing it by hand requires a lot of muscle and some will say "I think that's enough" before getting there....

1. Did you buy the car brand new?
2. If you did, have you ever touched the balancer?

It's possible that it just came out, but these bolts generally don't back out from the factory. Just curious, really.
g8isstock likes this.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:20 AM
CCG8 Member

Question is did it come off the crank completely or separate, they are known to do that too.
g8isstock likes this.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

update on the car, havent got the dampener yet. i didnt see or feel any damage on the crank i will most likely go with the pin set up that way this doesnt happen again. to answer the questions i think it came off on decel, it fully came off didnt separate( mods: cam lt headers dod delete solomach exhaust vararam intake. meaning the dampener was taken off before.) im sure we may have just torqued it wrong but this time we are going to use the arp bolt. once everything goes back together ill give you guys a update i cant thank you guys enough for all the advice the wife would have killed me if i needed a new motor or messed something up.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 PM

There's a friction washer that's supposed to be there. I would absolutely make sure it's there prior to reassembly. Unless it's not needed with pinning and an ARP fastener..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page