X Contact Dealer woes and BCM removal instructions needed - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

X Contact Dealer woes and BCM removal instructions needed

This is a long story, so I appologize, but I hope it helps others
Since about August my wifes 2009 G8 GT has been having intermittent issues, the X Contact dealer appears first, shortly followed by abs, traction control, air bar, etc. failures in the info display, check engine light comes on, speedo wacks out, gas gauge goes to zero, and the car goes into limp mode. On occasion, if turning ignition of when this happens, car will not restart. If the car sits for a bit, everythings gone and its back to normal, till the next few miles you drive it then the cycle usually starts again. It only did every few times the car was driven at first, but as of last month, it was doing it every time.
I have and icarscan, so I have been scanning and keeping track of the codes, I will get 10 or more at a time, usually centering around "lost communication" for all the control modules, plus some others.
Ive gone to the dealer 3 times. Yes I know, I should have tackled this job myself, and I am kicking myself for it now. I have read some of the discussions on this topic, checked the comm wake fuse and relays under the hood, and started checking wheel sensor connectors and some of the module harness connectors I could get to under the hood. Nothing worked, and this is my wifes car which she needs all the time for our 2 todlers, and its was 0-10 degrees in Ohio at the time, so I took it in.
First visit to the steeler said they couldnt find anything, checked a few things, read all the same codes I was getting, but it wasnt acting up at the time, and that this might go on for weeks to find the problem, so how much do you want to spend they ask? they were clueless, I even asked to get GM tech help, and they said the car is too old, usually only send a tech to help if within 5 years. I left and continued to monitor codes to see if I could narrow it down to something.
Went back a 2nd time since getting no better, they found a loose ground, seem ok, but after getting it back and driving, same problems. They suggested on next visit maybe reprogramming the BCM.
3rd visit, the said the BCM was continuing to reboot, connections ok, checked some other grounds but a TSB led them to test the BCM and determined it was a bad relay in the BCM (are there relays int he BCM???). I offered to supply a new ACdelco BCM for hal the cost of theirs, but they refused, so I shelled out $800 for this job (parts and labor). However, problem returned the next day.
I check codes, same codes as before.
4th visit, they found another TSB (even after I told them to exhaust all TSB's the previous time, ones that dont involve replacing anything), that suggested inspecting all harness connectors to modules (engine, trans) grounds at the block, etc. and clean add dielectric grease, and this seems to have solved the problems, several days now without issue. but another $400 later.
So Im pissed they didnt try this first, and feel I paid for a BCM that wasnt trully bad. Contacted GM customer service, but they did nothing, acted as a middle man telling me only what the dealer was doing repair wise. Dealer would not budge, said they tested BCM and it was bad, so it had to be replaced in addition to fixing/cleaning the harness connections.

So, I have the original BCM, and want to swap it back in to see if harness cleaning was the real culprit, then go back to the dealer and call them out and what I feel is a misdiagnosis.
Does anyone have R&R procedure for the BCM, Im pretty good with cars. Seeing as the labor was like $400 when they replaced the BCM, im thinking it might take some work to get it out, but then again, its the steeler.

My other thought has been to send the BCM to one of the several repair places online, to have them check it and see if it is indeed bad.

Thoughts, suggestions???

And please, if you have similar issues to mine, check and clean all the major harness and grounds first!!!
And dont go to the steeler.

Mike

Cars - 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2005, 1988, 1969 Corvette Coupes - SOLD 2005
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Bikes - 2002 BMW R1100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, initially the dealer never heard of the "X Contact dealer" issue on the central display, but later said it was because I had an open recall on teh seat belt anchors. Got those replaced on the 2nd visit, and guess what, still had X contact dealer the 3rd and 4th visits, so Im still having a hard time believing that was related, rather its was because of my intermiitent harness contact in the canbus high speed wiring.
They then said it was because the recall didnt go through in the system yet, eventhough the work was done.....unbelievable.

Unfortunately after all this, my wife wants the G8 gone. Im sad, but considering the lack of dealer support, when we really needed it, I will have to agree with her.
Other makes of cars, I have not had to pay if the problem wasnt solved, or at least the payment went towards the future repairs, not with GM. And I could provide the new parts since you can usually get them cheaper, not with GM.

Sad, but this might be my last post, thanks for all the great help over the last 9 years!

Mike

Cars - 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2005, 1988, 1969 Corvette Coupes - SOLD 2005
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Bikes - 2002 BMW R1100S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 PM

The way I see the various W/D's of the BCM, it looks like "it" is protected under the proprietary information format. The only things that I see are these fancy things called I/O pull up, pull down resistors. I/O high or low drive switches, or I/O bio-directional switches. I personalty doubt that there are any actual relays installed within the BCM. Since your original BCM is (an always was) VIN matched to your car (so to speak), it sounds like it would work correctly based on the info you posted above. It does not look to be a hard item to R&R, if you wanted to do same. Since the seat belt TSB refers to the problem of possible anchor cable fraying damage on the outside edge of your front seats, I feel bad for you. For them to even think that those seat belts could have anything to due with the BCM is a farce. I do not have any damage on either of my seat belt anchor cables, an if I did, I would NEVER let ANY dealer touch those belts considering what they are told to due for a fix.

>>>>>> Course, if that ends up being your last post, these thoughts would be moot

Last edited by GOPHERIT; 01-31-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: late thought

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:15 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I pay everything with a credit card and in over 20 years with Amex I have never had to file a charge back. But I would have been tempted in a case like this. It is a significant amount of money to spend for a result that was no different than researching and guessing yourself. Your dealer obviously lacks the knowledge to fix this issue. Is there another dealer in your area to consider in the future?

I have read other threads on here about the X Contact Dealer message. Seems some have solved it on their own. I would not give up on the car just yet, you may just find a solution. Just a random thought, but I would be looking for an intermittent grounding issue or a rubbing wire/harness somewhere. Hopefully the dealer resolved it on your last visit though.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Looking for the procedure on how to remove and replace the BCM, I am definitely game to try my old one and prove to myself it is indeed bad, and then I can sleep again, or prove the dealer wrong and fight to get my money back.

I didnt mention all the other issues I've had, start left stranded at 1500 miles, new short block at 10,000 miles, new airbag module around 12,000, new cam and lifters at 32,000, and now this. Everything to this point has been covered under warranty, but the numerous major issues combined with a dealer network that is incompetant, is the reason we are finally fed up. The reason we have kept the car this long is its a wonderful car, just not executed/manufactured to the quality I have come to expect in cars. Maybe we just got a bad one, starting to think thats the case.

Ill keep everyone updated on what I find out, if I R&R the BCM, or send it out to be tested.

But the new car shopping has begun.

Trust me, my seat belt anchors where perfectly fine, and had no intention of replacing them with the recall, but I had to to prove the dealer wrong and shut them up, but of course that didnt work.
This dealer also told me 2 years ago I needed new front struts, and LCA's when I brought it in for a noise (I've was trying to get them to replace my LCA's, the boot upgrade was done, but I feel they need replaced), and when I brought it in with the issues noted here, I asked them to re-check the front end, and that there is now a GM letter to cover the LCA replacement, they said they LCA's are fine, go figure!

Other dealers around, so I will definitiely never go back to Spitzer Chevrolet in North Canton Ohio again, and advise others to stay away. It was simply convenience and the ability to get in that I went to them.

Not my last post......yet : )
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Sad commentary on the fact that nowadays some techs, NOT ALL, do not diagnose problems any more but simply throw parts at the car hoping it solves the problem.
Adding to the problem is the vast majority of dealers have the techs on a flat rate pay scale, again in some cases, NOT ALL, management is pushing techs to push the envelope and replace for the sake of replacing.
Poor SOB has no choice if he doesn't want to see peanuts for a pay check and the dealer loves the profits.
My son went thru this as a GM tech, has since moved on to heavy truck tech....paid hourly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
Sad commentary on the fact that nowadays some techs, NOT ALL, do not diagnose problems any more but simply throw parts at the car hoping it solves the problem.
Adding to the problem is the vast majority of dealers have the techs on a flat rate pay scale, again in some cases, NOT ALL, management is pushing techs to push the envelope and replace for the sake of replacing.
Poor SOB has no choice if he doesn't want to see peanuts for a pay check and the dealer loves the profits.
My son went thru this as a GM tech, has since moved on to heavy truck tech....paid hourly.
I worked as a dealer service writer for a short period. I had too much knowledge to feel comfortable with what we were quoting and selling to customers. Useless over priced services and "best guess" type diagnosis as you just described. And there were only a handful of good techs. The rest were a crap shoot on whether they would get the job done correctly the first time.

Not a great job to be a service writer. The techs never thought you were selling enough hours. The customers always thought you were ripping them off. Can't win.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM

That BCM is located (an is oriented in a forward to aft direction) just to the left of the brake pedal. Removing just the forward closeout panel (surrounding the brake pedal shaft), might allow you to see if it could be R&R without additional things being removed. Once you know that you could remove the BCM, down power, disconnect the 7 small color coded connectors, and un-clip it from its mount. Then reverse the tear-down procedure. Having a BCM in your hand, can only help in understanding how things would be disconnected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page