Play video from iPhone 6s to radio - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

3Likes
  • 2 Post By terryscott621
  • 1 Post By Amedrano

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Play video from iPhone 6s to radio

I bought a rear aux wires off eBay. I get audio on rear aux and no video. Im about to pull my hair out!! Somebody help! I read threads and still am confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:59 PM

Garage
Not entirely sure of your setup but there needs to be a converter box that changes the digital signal from your phone into an analog signal for the RCA cables on the radio, otherwise there will be no output. Try hooking up an old DVD player or something with native RCA output and see if that works at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BTR Stage 2 Kooks LTs SLP Powerflo 3.27 Rear
6/4-pot Brembos Tein/PPV BMR Bars/Arms TSW Nurburgrings
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I have a iPhone 6s. I have the rca from aux rear to converter box. Its a hdmi to rca. HDMI into Apple lightning to hdmi. Does the Apple lightning to hdmi need to be powered too?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:37 AM
CCG8 Member

If you can, try each component separately on a TV. Make sure the lightening to hdmi works. If it's got a power plug, it probably needs to be powered.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Ill try that in the am. Just need to step back from it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
If you can, try each component separately on a TV. Make sure the lightening to hdmi works. If it's got a power plug, it probably needs to be powered.
Definitely try each piece separately to make sure that you can get each piece in the chain to function. I know some of the HDMI to RCA converter boxes can be pretty finicky. There's a million different ones to choose from. I'm using the one below and I've never had a problem with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
Definitely try each piece separately to make sure that you can get each piece in the chain to function. I know some of the HDMI to RCA converter boxes can be pretty finicky. There's a million different ones to choose from. I'm using the one below and I've never had a problem with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So question in order to get my iPhone to play I just need to the converter box with rca adapter and run it to my phone? Im just now seeing these post but I would like to connect my iPhone as well also does anybody on the link for how to remove the radio I know the unit is all one big piece but Idk where to begin as far as taking it out.

ApacheG8
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

What setting do I need to do to mirror my iPhone 6s on the radio screen?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedrano View Post
What setting do I need to do to mirror my iPhone 6s on the radio screen?
I'm not sure there is a specific setting. I would assume if you have the HDMI to lighning adapter and all pieces in the chain are working correctly that it would show your phone screen on the radio screen without changing any setting on the phone. There is a rear aux option in the radio menu that you have to turn to ON. I believe it's set to OFF by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY-YOhio View Post
So question in order to get my iPhone to play I just need to the converter box with rca adapter and run it to my phone? I’m just now seeing these post but I would like to connect my iPhone as well also does anybody on the link for how to remove the radio I know the unit is all one big piece but Idk where to begin as far as taking it out.
1) First thing you'll have to do in order to see any video above 2mph is enable Video In Motion (VIM). Follow the guide below to enable VIM for (almost) free. You'll need to buy about $25 worth of parts from Amazon. This is what I did and It's pretty easy. Just read the guide thoroughly and take your time.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy...B5bzl1S2s/view

2) You'll need these cables to connect to the passengers side of the radio:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-G8-...-/201485117222

3) You'll then need an HDMI to RCA converter box to connect to the cables linked above:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) You'll need an HDMI cable

5) With the HDMI cable from step 4 you can connect any device that outputs through HDMI (computer, apple tv, dvd player, gaming system . . .etc.) Phones may require an additional converter box based on what type of charging port your phone has.

This is video proof that the guide works. For this demo I just had a regular blu ray player hooked up in my car to test.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
mjones73 and jasaynebg8 like this.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Im just waiting on parts to come in. I already ordered VIM programming. Should have a result posted by Friday.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Success!!! I have video and sound on my G8 GT screen! Thanks everybody for all the help. Just waiting on the VIM rental. The stereo sounds good after turning up the factory sub amp.
terryscott621 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the information. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page