Weird Electrical Issue - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Weird Electrical Issue

Weird intermittent issue that happens.

Once in a blue moon my key wont come out of the ignition, as the cylinder wont shut past ACC when shutting the car. I noticed that this coincides with my side mirror controls being unresponsive to the adjustment controls. I have never had one happen without the other, so at times when lets say i try to adjust my mirror down to park near a curb, and it doesnt work, I already know that when I shut the car, the key wont come out. The weird part is, that the mirrors are the only adjustment that this is the case. The windows, locks, etc have never ceased to work, even in the condition described above.

• The window/lock/mirror controls have been replaced so I can rule that out.
  • I have tried removing the console trim and played around with jiggling different wires in there while holding down one of the buttons to see what worked, and nothing was apparent
  • Shift lock works exactly like it should
  • Doors lock and unlock correctly when going into and out of park

My gut is that there is some random wire, maybe a ground, that is shared between the shift lock and the mirror controls, that may be loose somewhere. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Also, does anyone have the wiring schematics of these areas they can scan or take a photo of so I can try to troubleshoot this? It gets quite annoying having to sit in the car trying to bang different things and take apart the console to wiggle wires trying to make it work for a half hour when I park somewhere I need to be !

edit: think I found the answer here:
https://www.g8board.com/forums/808131-post73.html

Going to give that a shot

Last edited by BronxxBombers213; 02-11-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 PM

^^^^^ I like the way you are thinking. It sure does read like the R8 relay is intermittent. If that's the way I'm reading your post (an you choose to reverse it with a matching relay for verification), be prepared for the other circuit to now possibly have intermittent failure/dropout conditions. I'm thinking there's a chance, that just the action of removing an installing relays, might eliminate the intermittent condition. That would then mess up your mind as to what the heck was happening here. I've read that these relays are very low priced if needed. Hope you post back with the results, if solved.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
^^^^^ I like the way you are thinking. It sure does read like the R8 relay is intermittent. If that's the way I'm reading your post (an you choose to reverse it with a matching relay for verification), be prepared for the other circuit to now possibly have intermittent failure/dropout conditions. I'm thinking there's a chance, that just the action of removing an installing relays, might eliminate the intermittent condition. That would then mess up your mind as to what the heck was happening here. I've read that these relays are very low priced if needed. Hope you post back with the results, if solved.

I put a new one in today... since this would happen very on and off sometimes weeks in between, only time will tell if this fixed it. Hopefully in a few months I will have forgotten about it completely, because that will mean it was as simple as the relay! Thank you so much for your work and time you put into helping others out here Gopherit!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Alternatively, could have swapped relays from another item with no known issues to test the R8 relay in a different location. However, given the cost of a new relay probably not worth the additional hassle. Hopefully a new relay resolves the problem and it would be nice if General Motors installed an extra relay or two just like they do the fuses.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:24 AM

Nice information. . .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:19 AM

Thanks for sharing . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page