Front Bumper is Stuck On - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Front Bumper is Stuck On

Anyone else ever have a hell of time getting the front bumper off? Specifically the nuts connecting the bumper to fender. I know you have to loosen the bolts, then push up to get the nut out. Can't get the nut out to save my life. Am I missing something, or do I just need a bigger hammer?!

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 PM

Have only taken off the front bumper cover once to replace both headlamp assemblies and didn't have too big of a time removing it. However, won't be near the G8 for at least a few hours and if you're still stuck can look at it then, but hopefully someone else will chime pretty soon.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Have only taken off the front bumper cover once to replace both headlamp assemblies and didn't have too big of a time removing it. However, won't be near the G8 for at least a few hours and if you're still stuck can look at it then, but hopefully someone else will chime pretty soon.
Same reason I'm removing it. To replace headlights.

I've given up for today. Had other things to do. Really just looks like a rust issue, as in the nuts are seized in place. Before I go crazy on it, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Infantry Sniper

I pulled forward to a curb that was like a millimeter taller than my bumper clearance was and when I went to back up I ripped my bumper half off lol. I just kicked it back into place when I pulled away from the curb and then I drove home and took it off to look at the damage. A couple screws were ripped out but other than that you cant even tell. I didn't have any difficulty removing mine, but maybe it was because I had a little help

Just double check you got all the bolts out around the fenders and give it a good tug and it should pop right out.

Automatic 2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GXP with sunroof
Visible Mods: All around 30% tint and Shark Fin
Exhaust: XForce 1"3/4 to 3" headers, high flow cats, and entire VAREX 3" electronic variable catback exhaust system
Audio: Kicker ZX350.2 amp, ID8 V4 subs, Polk MM651 all doors
Tune: Livernois
Under Hood:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM

See if this helps
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke21 View Post
I pulled forward to a curb that was like a millimeter taller than my bumper clearance was and when I went to back up I ripped my bumper half off lol. I just kicked it back into place when I pulled away from the curb and then I drove home and took it off to look at the damage. A couple screws were ripped out but other than that you cant even tell. I didn't have any difficulty removing mine, but maybe it was because I had a little help

Just double check you got all the bolts out around the fenders and give it a good tug and it should pop right out.
Ha. That might be easier at this point. And it's an issue of the nuts not coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs_g8gt View Post
See if this helps ....
Yep, watched that video along with a few others. They all make sense, and I understand how it should all work, just can't get the nuts to pop up/out. The bolts came out easily. Might just need a bigger hammer.

I had limited time so was working with the car on the ground. I'm going to attempt again this weekend, and I'll jack it up, pull the wheels so I have more room, and go at it.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM

Went out to take a gander at the G8 and recall having a similar experience at the local junkyard while removing the bumper cover from a Chevrolet Impala. Eventually, discovered the bolt's mounting post came unseated and was turning with each rotation of the socket. Using both hands, one to hold the post and the other to turn the socket, was able to free the bumper cover from the fender. Also, it may help to spray a little oil or lubricant of some sort on the thread portion of the bolt to aid in its removal. Agree, it would be more advantageous if the vehicle was placed on jack-stands with the wheels removed. Good luck.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:42 PM

Trying to remember (having changed out the front fascia 8+ years ago). I'm thinking that the 2 nuts have extended threaded barrels as part of them, which extend down thru the double-er, fender, an fascia. This causes those removed bolts to draw everything together (with the hex nut seated in a matching hex slot designed into the removable double-er. Maybe you could buy an extended length bolt (with the correct mm dia an thread), thread it into the nut several revolutions, and then tap that bolt head upwards to force the nut/barrel out of the double-er then remove the over length bolt (if this makes sense an my thinking is correct).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:54 PM

Part number is 92159884 and from the diagram it looks correct. Those nuts should really just tap out, but may be "locked" in place due to foreign matter or corrosion so it wouldn't hurt to lubricate them as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G8.jpg (9.8 KB, 8 views)

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Yep, seems like a bad case of sticky nuts. :/ The bolts in the pic came out pretty easily, and can be turned by hand now thanks to some PB Blaster.

GOPHERIT, I was using a hammer and punch on the loosened bolts, in an attempt to get the nuts to unseat. After awhile, I figured I better make sure I didn't miss something. You do give me the idea to maybe put the bolt in from the top, to maybe be able to pull it out in some way. We'll see.

Hoping I can get it off on Friday, as the car is getting paint correction on Saturday, and I want to have the new headlights in beforehand.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:48 PM

The end of the bolt extends beyond the top of the mounting nut so try partially backing out or unscrewing the bolt, then push up on the bolt with the 10mm socket to unseat the nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt1.jpg (143.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg bolt2.jpg (145.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bolt3.jpg (145.7 KB, 9 views)

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Hoping I can get it off on Friday, as the car is getting paint correction on Saturday, and I want to have the new headlights in beforehand.
Who, what, where, when and how much? PM me if need be. I may be able to help you get more for less.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The end of the bolt extends beyond the top of the mounting nut so try partially backing out or unscrewing the bolt, then push up on the bolt with the 10mm socket to unseat the nut.
Yep. I backed out the bolt about half an inch, then went to hitting it with a hammer. No dice, and got me questioning my methods. Again, had limited room with the wheels on, so hopefully pulling the wheels gives me more options for percussive persuasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
Who, what, where, when and how much? PM me if need be. I may be able to help you get more for less.
Local, mobile detailer. Replied to your PM.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yep. I backed out the bolt about half an inch, then went to hitting it with a hammer. No dice, and got me questioning my methods. Again, had limited room with the wheels on, so hopefully pulling the wheels gives me more options for percussive persuasion.
Very well, was able to remove both the nut and bolt with relative ease with the wheels mounted. At this point, don't have any additional suggestions and hopefully the images are beneficial.
ebg8gt likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Very well, was able to remove both the nut and bolt with relative ease with the wheels mounted. At this point, don't have any additional suggestions and hopefully the images are beneficial.
Yes, they are helpful. Confirms that I was going about it correctly. Thanks.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, they are helpful. Confirms that I was going about it correctly. Thanks.
You're welcome

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page