Key Recall - Turn In 1 Key, Get 2 Back? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Key Recall - Turn In 1 Key, Get 2 Back?

When I bought my car I only received 2 keys, both flip keys, not the fixed ignition key or the glovebox key (but that's for another time). On the key I use everyday the rubber buttons are completely shot.

If I were to bring the car to the dealership to have the key recall done would they provide me with 2 new keys despite the fact I only brought them 1? From reading the recall it does appear the dealer is supposed to provide you with 2 new keys but it doesn't say you have to turn in 2 keys.

Has anybody done that before?

If that's not the case I'm thinking of separating the key portion from the fob and just providing them with that, then I'll just buy a new key portion online and have it cut.

2004 GTO - PBM - A4

LPE - Kooks - GHL - '05 Rear Bumper - De-Winged - HSV Brakes - HP Tuners - BC Racing - Lovells - Moda

2009.5 G8 GXP - PBM - A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madison
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:27 AM

Garage
I would say that if you only bring one key, you are only getting that one back. I am pretty sure that if you have flip fobs, then you will lose that and only receive stationary ones back....this was the reason I haven't done the recall yet.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI, LS7/LS3 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, 19" Sport Package Wheels, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads), Hood-Vent Mod, Lower Grille Mod

Next: RCR Modified Intake Manifold, RCR Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Suspension Upgrades

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT086 View Post
When I bought my car I only received 2 keys, both flip keys, not the fixed ignition key or the glovebox key (but that's for another time). On the key I use everyday the rubber buttons are completely shot.

If I were to bring the car to the dealership to have the key recall done would they provide me with 2 new keys despite the fact I only brought them 1? From reading the recall it does appear the dealer is supposed to provide you with 2 new keys but it doesn't say you have to turn in 2 keys.

Has anybody done that before?

If that's not the case I'm thinking of separating the key portion from the fob and just providing them with that, then I'll just buy a new key portion online and have it cut.
Do you just have one of the two flip (switchblade) key-fobs in your possession? Or, are you simply wanting to only have the recall performed on the fob you use every day? If wanting to do the recall is merely for button replacement then it's a simple do-it-yourself fix. From memory, the upper portion isn't interchangeable, but believe the lower portion is an easy swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBlGT View Post
I would say that if you only bring one key, you are only getting that one back. I am pretty sure that if you have flip fobs, then you will lose that and only receive stationary ones back.....
The recall provides the consumer an incentive to help General Motors eliminate the vast majority (ideally all) of switchblade key-fobs. Therefore, it would most probably be an even fob swap versus a two-for-one "breakfast" special. However, calling the dealership beforehand would confirm or deny the notion. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Last edited by PONY MAN; 04-18-2018 at 03:13 AM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT086 View Post
On the key I use everyday the rubber buttons are completely shot.
Replacement button cover info:
https://www.g8board.com/forums/3606050-post2.html

As for the replacement fixed keys, the dealer would take your flip key(s) and just transfer the transmitter portion (the part with push buttons) to the new fixed keys. They need to order the replacement keys--they won't take away any flip key until the new keys are received...but to start the process a dealer visit is neceessary.

As mentioned, the objective of the recall is to take as many flip keys out of circulation as possible.

If you want to keep flip keys, I suggest you offer to buy new transmitters (4-button, assuming you have remote start) and have them do the recall...don't acknowledge having the second flip key. You should end up with 2 complete new fixed keys--the transmitters are the same, fixed or flip key. The fixed replacement keys come pre-cut via the recall (VIN specific) to fit your lock cylinder. The dealer should re-set the new transmitters to work with your RKE/RCDLR system as part of the recall, so hopefully no programming charge would be involved.

Transmitter PN - 4-button

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/vie...p=13883#p13879

New Caprice - Discussion forums ? View topic - Programming a new key

I do think you'll still be able to find blank flip keys, whether GM or aftermarket, but I doubt a dealer would cut a new flip key for you--it does take specific cutting equipment, but that equipment has become more common in recent years outside of dealers.

Bill Harper
[email protected]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 AM

The recall changes the blades on both the flip key and the fixed key. That may be where you saw 2 keys. When I took mine in the service writer made a note that I only had one key, they "fixed" the fixed key and I kept my flip key. Only gave them 1 key only got 1 in return.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM

I'd try this...separate one of the flip keys from the transmitter (push buttons), go to dealer with one complete flip key and the other transmitter, and tell them the one (flip) key broke while you were separating the key to change the battery or replace the rubber key pad you mentioned above--and ask them to do the recall for both keys. If someone asks to see the other (flip) key, just say you threw it away since it was broken, knew about the recall, and just finally decided to give in and get it done, so you'd have 2 keys.

They're getting paid, whether it's one or two keys, really shouldn't be an issue.

Make sure you keep the better of the 2 flip keys, and keep a straight face if you can! You can swap the flip key back (the one you kept) once the recall is done, not sure if you will need to re-program the key so the car recognizes it, but if it's been used with the car before, it should be OK.

Bill Harper
[email protected]
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Garage
Here's another solution if you want to just avoid the dealership all together, because that darn straight blade key is a thigh killer in the old pants pocket.... ask me how I know? hahaha

Anyways.... Dorman makes a replacement fob face with the new rubber pad that you can easily purchase from most parts stores who carry Dorman products.

Dorman # 13682

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...emote%2520Case

Hope it helps.

"Do or do not, There is no try!"

2009 G8 GT
2004 Grand Prix GT2
2014 Cruze LT RS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM
every village has one

Ignore them

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM

When I bought my car per-owned, the previous owner only had 1 key. I am likely screwed.
Anyway last year I did go to the dealer and signed a waiver where I acknowledged that I did not need the non foldable key.
Yet I still get the notices for a new key and seat belt cable none of which are necessary for me.
The new key that prevents the key from inadvertently turning the ignition off will likely happen if your knees hit the key in steering column. This may happen if you are tall person and have long legs. And the seat belt cable bending repeatedly if you sit on the seat belt cable.
Aren't these the main reasons for these 2 recalls?
Besides, what kind of recall involves a tech trying to dremel a hole on a plastic trim to replace a seat belt cable.
Why not just replace the trim and replace the cable? Main reason why this is not happening on my car.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs_g8gt View Post
....Why not just replace the trim and replace the cable?...
Doing so would be both too expensive and logical since General Motors wants to invest as least money as possible in a brand that was axed almost 10 years ago. By the way, a service advisor at the local dealership suggested to not keep a lot of extra keys attached to the keyfob. Over a period of time, it might ruin the pins in the ignition switch/lock cylinder.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
...By the way, a service advisor at the local dealership suggested to not keep a lot of extra keys attached to the keyfob. Over a period of time, it might ruin the pins in the ignition switch/lock cylinder.
Exactly why the only keys on the ring that starts any of my vehicles is my house key and ignition key. Have another key ring for all the other keys and those annoying "cards" the stores use to track what you buy.... it's a conspiracy I tell ya' !

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post
.. annoying "cards" the stores use to track what you buy.... it's a conspiracy I tell ya' !
Absolutely. Unfortunately, people don't realize how much of their personal information is being tracked via smart phones, the Internet, grocery shopping and etc. Once upon a time, organization's had to spend large amounts of money to acquire such data, now we voluntarily give it to them free of charge. Don't get me started on the whole Amazon Alexa idea of put a woman in the room and she is only listening when you say her name...sheer rubbish. Sadly, many people were surprised and shocked when the whole Facebook conundrum surfaced and I was shocked it took this long for the proverbial "bubble to burst".
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Doing so would be both too expensive and logical since General Motors wants to invest as least money as possible in a brand that was axed almost 10 years ago. By the way, a service advisor at the local dealership suggested to not keep a lot of extra keys attached to the keyfob. Over a period of time, it might ruin the pins in the ignition switch/lock cylinder.
I just use the key with nothing else attached.
tchr49 and wolfman1192 like this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 PM
every village has one

Quote:
Yup...

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:05 PM

I hated to give up the flip key, I wish I would have kept it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
Previous owner had recall done on mine -- so i got 2 fixed keys when i bought the car. I bought a new switchblade fob (shell only) on ebay, moved over the chip and circuit board, and move the actual key blade into the new one. It's a little effort, but it's not hard.

So technically, i don't have an open recall, but i have a flip key . Instructions can be found on the forum/google.

The china-made flip fob works well -- but, the button cover was really hard (plastic not rubber) so i ended up getting a dorman replacement fob base and using the rubber button cover off that.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Slowly gaining acceptance

When I bought my car it came with no fewer than three fixed keys and fobs (it might have been four, I can't remember at this point), so I bought a switchblade off from one of the vendors here, broke up one of the fixed fobs to get the key blade out, filed a slot into the key blade, installed it into the switchblade in place of the blank it came with, programmed the key, and voila! Switchblade.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
I have not had either recall done since I see no need for them based on my observations of the perceived problems. Having said that it is my understanding that the key 'fix' involves not only losing the flip key but the new 'fixed' key is rotated 90 degrees relative to the key body. I can see no way the rotated key blade could be moved to the flip key body and function much less lie flush to the body when in the folded position. What am I missing? You mention instructions can be found in the forum/google. Can you please provide a link so I can try to get this straight in my head before I decide to have this done.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2009 G8 GXP #808 of 1829, #30 of 61 in this configuration: SRM, 6MT, Roof

Rotofab CAI, Solo HFC, Borla Catback, Livernois ECM tune, Holley Coil Covers, Heater Hose Relocation, rear Brembos.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 PM
Slowly gaining acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM6 View Post
I have not had either recall done since I see no need for them based on my observations of the perceived problems. Having said that it is my understanding that the key 'fix' involves not only losing the flip key but the new 'fixed' key is rotated 90 degrees relative to the key body. I can see no way the rotated key blade could be moved to the flip key body and function much less lie flush to the body when in the folded position. What am I missing? You mention instructions can be found in the forum/google. Can you please provide a link so I can try to get this straight in my head before I decide to have this done.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Once you extract the blade from the fixed key housing, you can orient it any way you want. With the switchblade, the key blade is held in with a small roll pin. Tap that pin out, remove the blank blade, and use it as a template to know how to alter your key blade so that it fits into the hole on the switchblade mechanism and held tightly by the roll pin. It is pretty simple once you look at it, but digging your key blade out of the housing takes a bit of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page