Does Starter #12617229 Supersede #92202964? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
09 G8 GT Owner

Does Starter #12617229 Supersede #92202964?

I'm in need of a new starter for my GT and see that there are 2 different part #'s. Does the later 2009.5 starter #12617229 supersede the earlier Mitsubishi unit #92202964 as a direct replacement or are they actually different? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

16 Torch Red 2LT 7-SPD Corvette
17 Silver Ice 6-SPD Camaro RS
14 Crystal Red Chevy Volt
10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP LS3 6SPD "MAIDEN"(totaled)
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT w/sport/prem/roof
02 Firebird Formula LS1 6SPD
http://realrockpro.com/

Last edited by tripowergto; 04-25-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM

I see some sources say either one will work, and others that say no. They show the #12617229 is for a lot of cars with the 6.0 an 6.2 an they sure do look the same. Some say its for those with the 09.5 break point cars. Seeing a $40 price difference in price, it may be worth going for the less expensive one. But then again, maybe there's one or more small details between the 2, that will mess things up. Could be that the solenoid wire connection is different. Not much positive help on this I guess
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 AM

Perchance calling AcDelco and posing the question to a technical support person would be a viable option. However, called last week and believe it is now a fee (not free) based service unless the operator transferred the line to the wrong number i.e. commercial support. Needless to say, was not going to pay a fee in order to get a relatively simple question answered.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
09 G8 GT Owner

I verified my VIN# with starter # thus I ordered the earlier AC Delco #92202964 starter from Rock Auto this morning. $148.79 + $7.99 shipping, total $156.78 delivered. Hopefully it cures my no crank issue.

Last edited by tripowergto; 04-25-2018 at 12:18 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripowergto View Post
I verified my VIN# with starter # thus I ordered the earlier #92202964 starter from Rock Auto this morning. $148.79 + $7.99 shipping, total $156.78 delivered. Hopefully it cures my no crank issue.
Did you remember to use the proverbial 5% off discount code (currently 7990038571746601)? Usually get one from retail me not.com. If not, you could always cancel the current order (if it hasn't already been shipped) and place a new order (paste the code in the how did you hear about box) if you think the cost difference of $7.44 is worth the extra effort. Hopefully, a new starter solves the problem.
GXP25 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
09 G8 GT Owner

I was not aware. I quickly checked couponcabin.com but there was no offers there so I went forward without one. I won't change it but will remember for future orders. Thanks for your input!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Did you remember to use the proverbial 5% off discount code (currently 7990038571746601)? Usually get one from retail me not.com. If not, you could always cancel the current order (if it hasn't already been shipped) and place a new order (paste the code in the how did you hear about box) if you think the cost difference of $7.44 is worth the extra effort. Hopefully, a new starter solves the problem.
Was just about to quote him and ask him about the 5%.

That 5% off is always there (the code changes) and offsets the price difference between RockAuto and other outlets. It makes me purchase from RockAuto if there isn't anything available on Amazon and/or either Amazon is much more expensive.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripowergto View Post
I was not aware. I quickly checked couponcabin.com but there was no offers there so I went forward without one. I won't change it but will remember for future orders. Thanks for your input!
No problem. You're welcome. Am always in the deal for bargains and people say I make one heck of a parts man...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
...It makes me purchase from RockAuto if there isn't anything available on Amazon and/or either Amazon is much more expensive.
Once upon a time, was a huge proponent of Amazon, however, these sentiments have drastically changed over the years. Oftentimes, even with free shipping their prices aren't too much less than say Wal-Mart or eBay. Had a Prime membership and prior to renewal, evaluated its cost-benefit before deciding never to pruchase one again. Amazon used to have free 3-5 day shipping on orders over $25. Then it changed to $35. Mind you, this was well before they purchased airplanes and trucking equipment to more efficiently move packages. Therefore, one can somewhat surmise their shipping cost then versus now was higher solely using UPS and USPS to both ship and deliver packages. Now, unless one has a Prime membership which costs roughly $100 per year, shipping fees are charged. Also, the thirty day return policy (unless it has changed) is barely enough to sufficiently test a part after installation, more so if the part is not installed immediately after delivery. Being both analytical and a business major view things differently than most and could not longer justify the yearly charge for a Prime membership. However, the fee based subscription bodes well with many people so one has to do what best suits their needs. Unfortunately, Rock Auto's customer service is now totally email based and one can no longer speak to a customer service representative which, at times, is rather frustrating. However, their warranty and return policy have come in handy over the years and the additional 5% discount on top of already low prices keeps me patronizing the company.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:36 PM

It looks like part number 92202964 is still available and has not been replaced by an updated part number. Here's a link to the genuine OEM GM part for reference. https://www.gmpartsprime.com/oem/gm-92202964-starter.html . The best way to verify part fitment is by your VIN.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 AM
CCG8 Member

The hook up for the solenoid power is different between the two. The newer needs the wire changed on the car to work.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page