16-17 SS bi modal mufflers controller - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slizzo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

16-17 SS bi modal mufflers controller

I am looking for some impute or suggestion on how to make a 16-17 SS bi modal mufflers work I know DSX tuning used to sell the controller now they don't
Has anyone else had successfully made the mufflers work?
Amy advise would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy View Post
I am looking for some impute or suggestion on how to make a 16-17 SS bi modal mufflers work I know DSX tuning used to sell the controller now they don't
Has anyone else had successfully made the mufflers work?
[FONT=Calibri]Amy advise would be greatly appreciated [/FONT]
Last time I asked Amy for advice, I ended up with two kids and $800 a month worth of child care expenses...just saying.
Don't think anyone has even tried to get these mufflers to work on a G8. Try a company called Varrex exhaust. They have a nice bi-modal setup for our cars.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDBPR View Post
Try a company called Varrex exhaust. They have a nice bi-modal setup for our cars.
Do you happen to have a part number for the muffler? I checked out their website and only saw universal fit mufflers. Looks like you would have to piece together a set. Would be nice if they already had a muffler fit the G8 with the quad tips and stock connector already welded.

1978 Trans AM
2009 G8 GT
2010 Genesis Track Edition
2005 GTO (Sold but not forgotten)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
Do you happen to have a part number for the muffler? I checked out their website and only saw universal fit mufflers. Looks like you would have to piece together a set. Would be nice if they already had a muffler fit the G8 with the quad tips and stock connector already welded.
XForce makes a Varex catback (ES-VF73-VMK-CBS) and long tubes (XF-HS-VE78-KITB).

There have been past threads about getting just the Varex axlebacks, but they're not available.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
There have been past threads about getting just the Varex axlebacks, but they're not available.
Yeah this is what I was looking for. Just the axle backs.

Thanks

1978 Trans AM
2009 G8 GT
2010 Genesis Track Edition
2005 GTO (Sold but not forgotten)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:10 PM

Anyone know the details of the electric solenoid/motor on the mufflers? PWM controlled? Or is it a simple 12VDC on/off?

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

its def not simple 12 v v on and off there is also controller involved to regulate the valves
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
its def not simple 12 v v on and off there is also controller involved to regulate the valves

So it's a variable position valve? On a stock SS, do you know the behavior of the valve?

I know it is a three terminal connector. I know it defaults to the open position when no power/signal present. Does it close during regular driving and then open during more aggressive throttle? Does it just open fully, or does it have a linear behavior based on throttle position?

I work in the marine industry and have some basic experience with controls and automation. Many actuators and controllers use a 0-10V or a 4-20mA reference. If someone had a wiring schematic for the stock 16/17 SS I might be able to work backward. Lots of little aftermarket control boards are available and can be adapted for lots of things.

Without knowing anything more about the muffler valve actuator, I might guess that two pins are constant power (+12VDC, 0V) and the third pin is a positional reference controlled by some onboard module.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

I have them set up on my 2014 SS with a controller it works flawlessly. The guy who was making controllers stopped making them because he ran in to some issues. Basically they are not controlled by throttle they are either open or closed. when the power is not supplied to them they default to open. buzzard302 I think you are right about the pin on the connector functionallety but its hard to tell. IF there is anythig i can help ypu with let me know. Maybe i can get you one valve that you can play with ?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I have them set up on my 2014 SS with a controller it works flawlessly. The guy who was making controllers stopped making them because he ran in to some issues. Basically they are not controlled by throttle they are either open or closed. when the power is not supplied to them they default to open. buzzard302 I think you are right about the pin on the connector functionallety but its hard to tell. IF there is anythig i can help ypu with let me know. Maybe i can get you one valve that you can play with ?

If I just had a spec sheet for the valve, I might be able to figure it out. I don't necessarily have the time to play around with a real actuator right now to be honest (baby on the way, crunching house projects). I was just hoping to be helpful and maybe speculate on how it could be done. If you have an actual valve, can you see if there are any markings on it? Maybe a part number, manufacturer name, etc. Might be able to find a spec sheet to see how the motor works.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

i will try to find out
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
Yeah this is what I was looking for. Just the axle backs.

Thanks
You and me both.

There is another part number for the XForce catback on Summit: ES-VF73-CBS. Haven't called them, but for some reason it's $360 cheaper than ES-VF73-VMK-CBS. \_(ツ)_/

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

found this thread on corvette forum maybe this might help

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-retrofit.html
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Muffler actuation is tied to the drive mode selected by the knob in the center of the console on the SS. Tour mode is quiet, Sport or Performance (or Track) is loud mode.
GXP25 likes this.

2018 Red Quartz Tintcoat GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate
2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/3/18*
2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Sold 7/7/16*
2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT *Sold 6/11/14*
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 AM

Thanks for sharing the information. . .
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 AM

Great information shared.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page