Replacing Radio/climate control options? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Replacing Radio/climate control options?

My Climate control on my 09 g8 gt broke best case scenerio its going to cost $960 to fix, for that price id rather just buy a new head unit but the g8 designs climate control touch screen is out of stock is there any other options you guys know of to change out the radio and climate controls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
G8Designs is your only option for a full aftermarket double din unfortunately. A new kit just debuted down under but it is currently only for single zone HVAC cars.

Your other viable option would be a series 2 radio from Australia or a Caprice.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Dang im really going to have to pay this dealer $1000 to fix this nonsense so my heat/air works again, I figured for that much money i might as well just upgrade the system i cannot believe there is no other options out there this sucks.
thanks for your reply

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM

I've seen where you can get the IQ from people for $1000 (assuming you're willing to install it yourself). You might consider that if you feel capable of doing the install.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxHovaxx View Post
My Climate control on my 09 g8 gt broke best case scenerio its going to cost $960 to fix, for that price id rather just buy a new head unit but the g8 designs climate control touch screen is out of stock is there any other options you guys know of to change out the radio and climate controls?
Any idea what broke?

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Check eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/162711550227

It might just be your fascia if the other parts of the radio actually works. If you end up having the mismatch fascias and radios, then use HoLLo's guide (https://www.g8board.com/forums/9-ster...adio-twea.html) to match them.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Try the guy that is parting out his 09 Drag car in the for sale section. Or there are loads of G8s in salvage yards.

09 G8GT, LR,
70 Nova SS L78

"Knowledge Is Good"
Emil Fabor
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Before you go and buy one you need to get the vin on the head unit. Not all of them are compatable but all of them are Vin matched to the car. what this means is you need to buy a compatable unit and then have the dealer set it for you so that it will work in your car. Not all dealers will do it and the ones that will need the Vin number that the doner head unit is coming off of. Good luck, it's a PITA but can be done. I broke mine messing around with it and had to go through this getting replacement.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Before you go and buy one you need to get the vin on the head unit. Not all of them are compatable but all of them are Vin matched to the car. what this means is you need to buy a compatable unit and then have the dealer set it for you so that it will work in your car. Not all dealers will do it and the ones that will need the Vin number that the doner head unit is coming off of. Good luck, it's a PITA but can be done. I broke mine messing around with it and had to go through this getting replacement.
The dealer is going to charge an hour of labor for this ($100+). It would be cheaper to follow HoLLo's guide for changing the VIN oneself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page