power mirror motor - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

2Likes
  • 1 Post By smwalker
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

power mirror motor

My driver side power mirror motor is shot....seems like a stripped gear maybe. It'll move up/down and to the right but just bounces trying to move it left. Are these things serviceable or am I in for a whole new mirror assembly and have to get it painted?

2009 SBM GT: all stock for now!

1998 Z28: 370ci twin turbo, faceplated t56, 900+rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Your problem is the exact same one I found when I was buying the car (brand new) from the dealer. I told them, it needs a new assembly. He said they have some very good mechanics, an he was sure they could correct the problem. I told him not a chance, but have at it. He called a few days later an said *they had* to replace the mirror assembly for the fix. You can still buy a new OEM unit from GM sources for about $144, or you can buy an exact match from an outside vendor thru Amazon (as an example) for $44. Or both side as a pair for $76 Drivers side P/N to use is 92194948. I know 1 member bought a pair this way, an said they worked just fine. I'm pretty sure these outside vendor units also have a removable top cap, so you should be able to transfer your exiting painted cap over to them.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:31 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the gear assembly is not serviceable and the entire mirror has to be replaced. Regarding painting, you should be able to put your old outer cover on a new or used factory mirror after removing its cover. However, am unsure if the same applies to aftermarket mirror assemblies as well.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Pretty simple gear drives inside. Probably got some broken gears and a flat spot. Finding replacement gears would be the hard part. Would be neat if we could put together a little rebuild kit though.

GXP25 likes this.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
2011 Caprice PPV
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 PM

A few days ago, swapped out the passenger side-view mirror assembly for the paltry amount of $24. Needless to say, it's not a genuine General Motors unit, but believe it is a suitable replacement. The driver's side-view mirror assembly is nearly identical in price and will most likely be replaced in the near future. Also, this particular manufacture ships the mirror cap cover in a separate bag i.e. not attached to the mirror assembly.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:08 PM

The only disadvantages to aftermarket mirrors (in general) that I have seen is they seem to be made lighter. This translates into any vibration at idle being transmitted into the glass and you get a shaking witch can be annoying. Too late in your case but it would be interested to know if you could take out the motor assembly on the aftermarket one and transfer it over to the factory unit and have everything mount up correctly. Not sure how much they copy over when they make one. BUt keep the old one for spare parts if you ever get it smacked.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
2011 Caprice PPV
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:32 PM

The original mirror was replaced awhile ago with an aftermarket unit after side-swiping a vehicle. The most recent unit was replaced due to color fading caused by an over spray of multi-use silicone lubricant... Will use the performance of the current one to decide whether to replace the driver's side-view mirror or not. A severe disdain for clutter coupled with a surplus inventory of various vehicle spare items will mostly likely result in the old mirror assembly being thrown in the garbage bin.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

How is the body color cap attached to the mirror assembly? Don't want to damage it removing from my factory mirror if possible.

2009 SBM GT: all stock for now!

1998 Z28: 370ci twin turbo, faceplated t56, 900+rwhp
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM

It says the latching grips are part of the *lower edge* of the cap. They say to grasp the cover with your fingers at the top an bottom edges of the cover, an lift the bottom edge upward an then back out from the mirror. If that action feels uncomfortable, perhaps a small inward press of the bottom edge may be required prior to lifting upwards (even thou the manual doesn't say that is part of the procedure).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM

Here are a few pictures of the aftermarket passenger side-view mirror with the cap cover removed. Am uncertain if the factory cap covers are configured likewise, but would assume the difference is negligible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (142.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg mirror1.jpg (142.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg mirror2.jpg (142.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg mirror3.jpg (143.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg mirror4.jpg (140.7 KB, 16 views)

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
Pretty simple gear drives inside. Probably got some broken gears and a flat spot. Finding replacement gears would be the hard part. Would be neat if we could put together a little rebuild kit though.

How hard is it to work on these mirrors and make changes such as motors, wiring, and the glass?

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
How hard is it to work on these mirrors and make changes such as motors, wiring, and the glass?
As far as I can tell they are pretty modular and common throughout all the VE and VF years except for the plugs. As more options got added for the SS the plug got more cavities of course. Member of the FB Caprice Group got some China PArk Avenue Mirrors and those have puddles and turn signals along with all the other stuff so those had the largest plugs I have seen yet. 14 cavity I think.

Hardest part is getting the mirror motor connectors into the mirror if you have to take them out or any reason. There is a channel they fit through but only one at at a time. I made it work with some string leads in this post:

New Caprice - Discussion forums ? View topic - How To: 11-13 Mirror Puddle Lamps

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
2011 Caprice PPV
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
As far as I can tell they are pretty modular and common throughout all the VE and VF years except for the plugs. As more options got added for the SS the plug got more cavities of course. Member of the FB Caprice Group got some China PArk Avenue Mirrors and those have puddles and turn signals along with all the other stuff so those had the largest plugs I have seen yet. 14 cavity I think.
Thanks for the information.

Wow I'm shocked someone managed to source that mirror from the Park Avenue. It's the only one, that I can tell, out of the high end WM vehicles that has that feature. The Daewoo Veritas doesn't have them and neither does the Bitter Vero or Chevrolet Caprice Royale. Or even an optioned out Holden Caprice.

Funny enough, Bitter installed separate heated seat buttons in the center console by AC controls because their center section contains the parking aid, traction control, and sport shift button. If they had just changed their shifter console to that of the LHD Caprice or G8 or Veritas, the sport shift button would no longer be needed. Then they could have sourced the center section from the Veritas that came with heated seat buttons (like in the G8) along with the parking aid and traction control. I was looking to source the heated seats, parking aid, and traction control switch but my project has moved into a different direction (a better upgrade).

Daewoo Veritas:

Quote:
Hardest part is getting the mirror motor connectors into the mirror if you have to take them out or any reason. There is a channel they fit through but only one at at a time. I made it work with some string leads in this post:

New Caprice - Discussion forums ? View topic - How To: 11-13 Mirror Puddle Lamps
Good information. What are you views on the Kool Vue brand of mirrors for the Caprice? I guess I'd only get them for the mirrors (the glass) since the Australian mirrors are RHD-oriented.

Also, I noticed that the Chevy SS mirrors don't have the heated mirror engraving but the owners claim they're heated. They obviously have the blind sport engraving. The VF Commodores have the heated mirror engraving along with the blind spot engraving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bitter-Vero_11.jpg (94.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Die-Autos-des-Erich-Bitter-729x486-ca033d083108459e.jpg (103.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg veritas_l4xx-083.jpg (147.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by GXP25; 07-31-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Fixed the missing images.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM

UPDATE: Drove over 200 miles down the highway and didn't notice much difference in vibration between the driver (stock) and passenger (aftermarket) side-view mirror assembly's. Ordered the driver's side-view mirror today bringing the cost of both to less than $50 delivered to the the front door.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
UPDATE: Drove over 200 miles down the highway and didn't notice much difference in vibration between the driver (stock) and passenger (aftermarket) side-view mirror assembly's. Ordered the driver's side-view mirror today bringing the cost of both to less than $50 delivered to the the front door.
How's the quality of the aftermarket mirror?

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
How's the quality of the aftermarket mirror?
Considering both replacement mirrors cost a fraction of genuine units, overall quality is pretty good. Honestly, didn't pay much attention to looks nor noticed an obvious problem. Installation was pretty straightforward, however, it took a few minutes to get the housing seal to seat properly. Overall, am satisfied with the outcome and hopefully these will last a number few years.
GXP25 likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page