Water leak through the air cabin filter - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MIEngineer2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Water leak through the air cabin filter

I recently had a bit of a leak through the air cabin filter. It ended up being a rubber stripping that came off on the left hand side of the air cabin filter box. Had it sealed with heavy duty silicone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 PM

Yet another thing to check as a precautionary measure and did the water leak destroy the cabin air filter?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 AM

While you have it apart make sure the drain at the bottom is clear,that can also clog up due to debries falling threw the upper cowl vents wear the fresh air come in,(pollen;leaves)

Year:2008
color:ignition orange;interior black leather
option:comfort and sound;premium package
new:august 2008 original owner
mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights,X-pipe,k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

No it did not destroy the air cabin filter but I will replace it anyways. There was no debrie in the air cabin filter housing. The G8 Gt & v6 have different drain hole locations for some reason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM

Good deal. Was unaware of the different drain locations between the two models and can't help but to wonder the reasoning.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 AM

Did not know that either,whenever I change the cabin filter I always blow out drain,especially here in New Jersey where I live i Have alot of trees in my area

Year:2008
color:ignition orange;interior black leather
option:comfort and sound;premium package
new:august 2008 original owner
mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights,X-pipe,k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:24 AM

+1. And vacuum the slot area where the filter sits. Awhile ago, noticed the "seal" and thought it looked a bit...unsure... for lack of a better term at the moment.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

The drain on the GT is on the left side not near the bottom, but on the base it is at the bottom on the right side. Both drains were okay. Having this small weather stripping coming off the GT I had to look at my base V6 not sure why they are different. Since the Air cabin filters are fairly inexpensive 7 or 8 dollars I will replace both.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Awhile ago, read some members were paying in excess of $25 per cabin air filter, but am always able to find an aftermarket deal on the rock that sell auto parts.com for significantly fewer coins.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

There is a an automotive place that sells a lot of ac delco parts near me. The cabin filters are called pronto & look almost identical to the OEM. I am sure at this point they have gone up in price but they are probably 10 or 11 dollars will see later this week. Both of my drains were free of debrie. The cabin filters do not look that bad but both of them have a slight water stain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (53.0 KB, 7 views)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 02:37 PM

There are TWO different filters from Delco also I'll find the OE # [it is more expensive]

Many of the aftermarket ones do not seal the opening nearly as well and that can cause other issues when trying to seat the filter FYI

Lower cost is not always worth the headache.
GXP25 likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEngineer2 View Post
There are TWO different filters from Delco also I'll find the OE # [it is more expensive]

Many of the aftermarket ones do not seal the opening nearly as well and that can cause other issues when trying to seat the filter FYI

Lower cost is not always worth the headache.
I agree but in my case that was not the issue. The filters are 9.64 ea.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

I found out the other day water was still leaking ended up being the gasket behind the air cabin filter box itself. Had to take off the windshield cowl & wipers to access this. Looking at the design I am surprised more people have not had this issue. Did a water test with the cowl off so water seeping into the air cabin filter box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page