Rather than post on threads from seven years ago, I thought I'd start a new thread with a fix.
A couple weeks ago my daughter and her friend were roughhousing in my car, and ended up breaking off the remaining one or both of the limiting tabs in my glove box, allowing it to drop beyond its intended opening.
After seeing how much a glove box costs online (with no guarantee that the tabs aren't broken) I did a little research and came up with what I think is a good solution.
(4) Black Oxide Alloy Steel Flanged Button Head Screws, 10-32 Thread, 1/2" Long
(2) Nylon 6/6 Female Threaded Round Standoffs, 1/4" OD, 7/8" Length 10-32 Thread
3/16" Drill Bit
Hardware came from McMaster-Carr, tools I had on hand.
After following directions found elsewhere to get the glove box out of the car and get the door off the rest of the glove box, I cleaned up where the old stops broke off with the slide knife, and drilled through the center of the lugs and through the side of the glove box.
For an extra bit of security, I tapped the holes.
I then ran two of the screws into the holes from the inside of the glove box. I chose these because they sort of look factory, and at the very least they don't stick out. I then threaded the two nylon standoffs onto those screws, then screwed the remaining two screws into the other end of the standoffs.
Before reinstalling the glove box assembly into the dash, I reconnected the soft touch assist cylinder.
I'm happy with the end result. The soft touch open works (I didn't realize the car even had that feature) and you really can't see the pieces I installed.