Overheating on track day. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Overheating on track day.

Did a TNIA at pocono raceway. I lasted 15 minutes at pretty much full stop before I hit limp mode. Coolant was 260, oil was 240. Car is 150000 miles, boosted. I have future plans for track days and would like to see what I can do to limit overheating. First step is flush the old coolant and oil. I'd like to install an oil cooler radiator but I'm not sure what lines to tap into or where. Next step as I was suggested by other LS guys was some air ducting to the radiator. If anyone cares to shed some light on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

100 Shot, Pacesetter Longtubes, no cats, no resonators, x-pipe, stock mufflers.
Need help installing control arms, rear cradle bushings, nitrous, headers, exhaust, intake? PM ME!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:52 PM

To the top for an answer(s) to this man's problem.
hexagod likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
The stock oil pan has a block-off plate for the oil cooler lines that would have been installed for such heavy duty usage.

I also took the liberty of finding a low profile cooler manifold for that location. It says it would fit the G8.

Edit: I had to go back and edit because I realized I overlooked an important question.

Are you on DOD? Or did you do a DOD Delete while blocking off the relief valve port in the oil pan? It is important, as higher viscosity oil may just end up discharging through the relief valve, which may cause problems with higher viscosity at operating temperature.

It's more of a disclaimer for me, because while the oil will be thinner at operating temps, pressure will want to increase. Having a plug in there will allow for the increase without sacrificing flow.

If you are DOD Deleted and plugged the relief port, then you should consider something other than 5W30 Oil. Try stepping up your oil viscosity to a 5W40, or even 5W50 for racing applications.

It will handle shearing forces better than 5W30, and you won't have any problems at startup getting oil where it needs to go as the viscosity will remain the same as any other oil rated SAE 5 at startup temperature.

That alone should kick your oil temps down some. The oil film thins out at high RPMs due to the aforementioned shearing forces, and the SAE 40 or 50 rating at operating temp will help alleviate some of that. (BITOG has good reading on this subject).

Installing a cooler may hurt your ability to get up to temp during normal driving, though.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your coolant loop. Assuming everything is in order, your Radiator needs to be able to handle more heat. I wonder, though, if something is wrong. That, I cannot say....

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jova007200; 09-05-2018 at 02:52 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks jova!

Need help installing control arms, rear cradle bushings, nitrous, headers, exhaust, intake? PM ME!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Site Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
Did a TNIA at pocono raceway. I lasted 15 minutes at pretty much full stop before I hit limp mode. Coolant was 260, oil was 240. Car is 150000 miles, boosted. I have future plans for track days and would like to see what I can do to limit overheating. First step is flush the old coolant and oil. I'd like to install an oil cooler radiator but I'm not sure what lines to tap into or where. Next step as I was suggested by other LS guys was some air ducting to the radiator. If anyone cares to shed some light on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

An oil cooler is a great option but your coolant temps might be the main issue. First I'd make sure your thermostat is working fine and check your tune to ensure your fans are coming on quick enough. If you are going to be running at the track with a forced induction car you are going to want those babies running full throttle all day.

The next question is what type of boost are you running? The problems could be stemming from your intake temps.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 PM

First trackday ? Intercooler in front of radiator?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

what kind of boost? 6 psi. This was my 4th track day this year. First time overheating.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM

Check your belts, if they're worn, you won't get traction on the water pump pulley... that can cause overheating

Replace Tstat with 160 or just remove it (will need re-tune)

Replace the radiator with all aluminum as the stock plastic one is prone to failure (like mine did)

Perhaps make the hood scoops functional if it's a track only dry car... more airflow over the motor can help cool it down.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

done all that haxagod, minus an aluminum radiator.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 PM

Garage
Not to complicate things further, but just because I had it happen to me during a track day I thought I'd mention that the 6L80 will generate a fair bit of heat during hot laps. I watched my coolant temps throughout my first few laps and never saw much over 220 and didn't bother thinking about the trans until 30 minutes in and the car goes in limp mode. Granted I've got an aftermarket converter, but also a decent size auxiliary cooler too.

After coasting back to the pits I checked the engineering mode to see a sump temp of 158 degrees......celsius. So yeah, if you haven't make sure to keep an eye on that if you haven't already.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BTR Stage 2 Kooks LTs SLP Powerflo 3.27 Rear
6/4-pot Brembos Tein/PPV BMR Bars/Arms TSW Nurburgrings
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

I'd never checked the trans temp.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:27 AM

With both coolers, any pics of folks with both the trans cooler and the engine oil cooler? TIA
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I'll be doing an install video of them shortly. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpn...rXJ5MJ_iNYXTlA subscribe to them and you'll see it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page