Battery dead, locked inside car question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Battery dead, locked inside car question

On an OBDII system can you power up the car enough to unlock the door through the accessory port using a battery "jumping" device that has a cigarette lighter power out? Or must you connect it through the OBDII port? I'm thinking of giving my daughters one of these for Christmas for this purpose. I am aware that you cannot actually jump the car with one. Just wanting everyone to be a little safer by having it in the glovebox for the dead battery/door lock eventuality. Trying to save a window too.

2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
Procharger D1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes, indeed it would be easier. Sadly though, it has been thirty years since I was small enough to get through a hole that size. So for the more dimensionally challenged among us, the question remains: OBDII or accessory port?

2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
Procharger D1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:49 PM

Is the folding center seat-back standard equipment on the G8? If so, wouldn't it be easier to pull the emergency trunk release handle and exit through the trunk? Of course, such would be more difficult to accomplish if the trunk were full and presume much is contingent on an individual's arm length/strength, girth, and a whole other slew of variables. Regarding the original question, have not even the slightest idea.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:18 PM
CCG8 Member

Are there that many cars these days you can't manually unlock from the inside?

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Are you sure the door won't unlock from the inside without power?

I thought it would!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post

I thought it would!
It does as every year a put my car in storage & can unlock from the inside with no battery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
On an OBDII system can you power up the car enough to unlock the door through the accessory port using a battery "jumping" device that has a cigarette lighter power out? Or must you connect it through the OBDII port? I'm thinking of giving my daughters one of these for Christmas for this purpose. I am aware that you cannot actually jump the car with one. Just wanting everyone to be a little safer by having it in the glovebox for the dead battery/door lock eventuality. Trying to save a window too.
Ok, I'm not sure what you're getting at? I almost feel as if this is a dumb blonde joke! If its in the glovebox, how does that save a window? You can always unlock the car with the key on the drivers side and then manually unlock all other doors. You probably could use one of those jump things to pop the trunk I suppose. I would use the cigarette lighter/12v accessory port (would have to have the key on to work) rather than the OBDII port though, but either one would work since all you're doing is back feeding power to the trunk release solenoid, but I have never seen anything that would plug in to that port to do so.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post

I thought it would!
Yes, absolutely, the doors can be unlocked from the inside with no power.... I thought the same thing when I read this. It's as simple as grabbing that lock latch at the door handle area.

Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:24 AM

Presumed such regarding the door locks, but have never tried to unlock one manually from the inside with a disconnected nor discharged battery. Would think the NTSB has some sort of provision requiring most vehicles to have a way for trapped passengers to "free" themselves. The lone exception would be if the child safety latches were engaged on either/both rear doors.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Site Sponsor

Garage
Most cars today will unlock automatically if you pull the handle. So you pull once to unlock and then again to open it. I can't remember if my G8 did buy I know my SS does

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Can you imagine the lawsuit when someone can't get out of the car after an accident that disables the battery?

Our door locks have a mechanical linkage and do not need power to unlock.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page