Upper Radiator Hose - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Upper Radiator Hose

So last Friday my wife was driving to work in our 09 GT, itís a southern car with 88k miles, and she calls me cause itís over heated and she had to stop. Upon investigating I find that the upper radiator hose has popped off, losing all of the coolant, and that the flare at the end of the neck on the radiator has cracked off inside the hose.

I was able to repair it on the spot and refill it with dexcool later that day, so just two hours ago I get the same call from her. Hose popped off again, after running fine for 4 days. Iím headed to work now so I canít spend the day messing with it, but Iím wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the cause could be?

Simply a cracked hose, and without the flare the pressure is too great to keep the hose on? Or could it be something Iím not thinking off? Water pump sounded like it was squealing a little after the original incident, I donít drive it everyday so I donít know if maybe it started sooner.

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009 G8 GT - Panther Black Metallic - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 AM

Have read other threads by other owners who have experienced the same problem of the upper rad neck snapping off.
Looks like your in for a new radiator.
As you stated without that flare there the rad hose is just going to keep on popping off under pressure.
These cars are almost 10 years old now, plastic radiators get brittle over time leading to your problem.
hexagod likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Thatís about what I figured. I have an extended warranty that covers my radiator, but at the same time, I feel like just upgrading from stock to an aftermarket set up.

I was looking into Cold Case radiators and their silicone hoses. Compared to Delco parts itís cheaper to go aftermarket.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Yeah, the plastic hose retaining feature on the rad nozzle breaking off has been one of the typical G8 things to deal with.

Oh, right by the radiator cap, make sure the hood release cable is pulled back from the AC line and tied/secured from rubbing with the AC line. Its another G8 thing - the hood release cable rubbing/wearing through the AC line.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 AM

Learned from experience to replace the radiator cap along with the radiator. Just my $.02
hexagod likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Learned from experience to replace the radiator cap along with the radiator. Just my $.02

What did you replace yours with?

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Have yet to replace the radiator on the G8 and was speaking from instances on other vehicles. Pretty sure other members will chime in with some recommendations. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Same thing happened to me... the day after I bought mine LOL. was headed to work all the sudden I look my motor @ 260f ....I'm like NOEEESSSSS my all aluminum block baby =[[[[ .... pulled over immediately and had her towed back to the stealership. Luckily, they split the bill with me and replaced it with an all aluminum version. She's stayed cool ever since and luckily didn't warp the block. PLASTIC radiator.... WTF
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Iím gonna try and see what I can do, i doubt the dealer by me will be ok with installing something other than OEM parts. But you never know.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagod View Post
Same thing happened to me... the day after I bought mine LOL. was headed to work all the sudden I look my motor @ 260f ....I'm like NOEEESSSSS my all aluminum block baby =[[[[ .... pulled over immediately and had her towed back to the stealership. Luckily, they split the bill with me and replaced it with an all aluminum version. She's stayed cool ever since and luckily didn't warp the block. PLASTIC radiator.... WTF
I'm sure you didn't do any permanent damage to the engine, they're pretty tough! I don't know how many people remember it, but the brochure for the 1998 Camaro, when the LS1 first came out, actually said in it that the engine was designed to be driven up to 50 miles without a drop of coolant in it. I remember thinking that was crazy! I don't think they tout that fact any more, probably too much of a liability for them...
hexagod likes this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyGT View Post
Yeah Iím gonna try and see what I can do, i doubt the dealer by me will be ok with installing something other than OEM parts. But you never know.

You should demand they install an all aluminum radiator. The plastic WILL fail.

https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/po...ance-radiator/
DirtyGT likes this.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:

If the dealer only goes for an OEM rad and least you know you should get another 9 years out of it if history repeats itself....
DirtyGT likes this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM

Keep in mind that if the radiator hose blows off when you're on the freeway you get hot coolant all over the finish... so an extra 150$ for the best part could save you having to refinish the flimsy paint on these things. I was on my way to work and had to take my shirt off and gently remove the coolant. Needless to say, the motor wasn't the only thing HOT at that moment.... lololjkjk
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagod View Post
Keep in mind that if the radiator hose blows off when you're on the freeway you get hot coolant all over the finish... so an extra 150$ for the best part could save you having to refinish the flimsy paint on these things. I was on my way to work and had to take my shirt off and gently remove the coolant. Needless to say, the motor wasn't the only thing HOT at that moment.... lololjkjk

Oh trust me, a little coolant couldnít possibly make my paint look an worse than it currently does. My G8 to-do-list is long, but aside from the radiator issue, getting it repainted is on the top of the list.

hexagod likes this.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Exactly what happened to me. The flare keeps the hose on. While I was waiting for the new one to arrive, I shoved the hose back on as far as it would go. Then used two worm drive hose clamps to secure it. That kept the hose on for the 4-7 days it took for the new one to arrive.

Remember to make sure the new radiator has a new bottom connection piece. My RockAuto one did't have it and I had to use my old one.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
Exactly what happened to me. The flare keeps the hose on. While I was waiting for the new one to arrive, I shoved the hose back on as far as it would go. Then used two worm drive hose clamps to secure it. That kept the hose on for the 4-7 days it took for the new one to arrive.

Remember to make sure the new radiator has a new bottom connection piece. My RockAuto one did't have it and I had to use my old one.

I think Iím gonna try to get a Cold Case put in. Which connection piece are you referring too?

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Bottom outlet. Plastic units have an extra piece down there.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I think Iím gonna try to get a Cold Case put in. Which connection piece are you referring too?

probably this... also, if the dealer wants to play hardball... you should show them this thread... and then ask them if you can foot the difference in the cold case vs OEM. If you're going to do all that work to replace the RAD.. might as well get the best possible one for the job. OVerheating a motor is never a good thing. It can end up costing you 10x what the proper radiator costs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rad.jpg (16.5 KB, 14 views)
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Iíll definitely argue these points, seeing as itís an extended warranty through a 3rd party, if they pay for it I doubt GM will mind spending less on parts. Thanks for all the help, Iíll let yíall know how it goes tomorrow!

hexagod likes this.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:18 PM

BTW @DirtyGT ... any all aluminum radiator will work (as long as it's spec'd for the g8) ...you just don't want any part of it, especially the inlet and outlet to be plastic. However, cold case is a reputable brand and would be worth the wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in