5Likes
  • 1 Post By Markmsf3
  • 1 Post By jmorato427
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN
  • 2 Post By JAYDBPR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Newb question

So in the next 2 or 3 months I will be in the market for my first G8 GT. Im sure this has been addressed somewhere else but Ive been doing some searching around and havent really found much on things to look out for when purchasing a used G8 GT. My question is what should I search for (Mainily drivetrain) when I begin my search for the right G8. Do the trannys/rear end have issues? Motor wise is there any common issues on these cars?

Ive owned plenty of GMs but this will my first automatic car (My duramax is the only automatic GM ive owned)
so I just want to make sure Im looking for the right things when i purchase my G8. I am aware that when purchasing a used vehicle, especially with higher mileage, there will always be issues but what are the main common issues these cars have?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Really, the only thing that really sux on a G8 GT is the dod 6.0l engine. The dod valves are of a poor design and prone to fail. That being said, failure is not a guarantee. There are many with over 200k on the clock on stock valve trains. It kinda depends on how its treated and how often the oil was/is changed. The 6L80e transmission is pretty solid along with the rear end.
jmorato427 likes this.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:42 PM

Try and locate a GXP. Has the more bullet proof 6.2L engine.
A rarer G8 model with a price tag to match. Also can be had with a manual trans for those who like three pedals.
Good hunting.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:20 AM

Open the hood. Just because the emblem on the back says G8, that doesn't mean it has a V8 under the hood. Won't be making that mistake again.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Open the hood. Just because the emblem on the back says G8, that doesn't mean it has a V8 under the hood. Won't be making that mistake again.
You purchased a V6 thinking it was a V8?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Well, the emblem SAYS G8, and it's a muscular looking car. You would ASSUME it has a V8 engine, wouldn't you?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Site Sponsor

Garage
I think the only other main issue some of these cars had was the front control arm issue. It would clunk or squeak when hitting bumps. I'm sure most of the bad ones have been replaced by now though.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, the emblem SAYS G8, and it's a muscular looking car. You would ASSUME it has a V8 engine, wouldn't you?
No. You can hear and feel the difference but either way sorry you had to go through that. Lesson learned.
wolfman1192 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICED1 View Post
I think the only other main issue some of these cars had was the front control arm issue. It would clunk or squeak when hitting bumps. I'm sure most of the bad ones have been replaced by now though.
Thats not to big an issue. I have a lift so i could always just the buhings or the control arm it self. Seems like besides the DOD these cars are pretty solid.

This might seem like a stupid question but does the car need to be tuned after doing a DOD delete? I would suppose so but never done one.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Not really. Pontiac is the make. G8 is the model. GXP, GT, or base is the trim level. Would never purchase a vehicle before looking under the hood nor take the seller at their "word" unless it's one he(double hockey sticks) of a deal or a restoration project.
jmorato427 likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 AM

It was at an auction and didn't have time to check under the hood.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It was at an auction and didn't have time to check under the hood.
I hope you got a smoking good deal on it!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 AM

I would think that you will have to retune it if you did a dod delete

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 AM

Definitely some questionable responses in this thread....Anyway, strut bushings of the rubber variety get eaten by this hefty pig. When you pop the hood, look at the strut caps and see if they are popped up more than half an inch off the strut tower. Preferably, they should be sitting right on the strut tower. Easy part to change and lots of replacement options. Someone mentioned the control arms in the front, there are 4 and the bushing is not usually the part that fails, it's the ball joint. Go over some rough pavement during the test drive and listen for clanking/rattling (but can also be endinks). Watch the engine while it's running and check the crank pulley for wobble and listen for lifter tick/squeaking that speeds up with throttle. That is the main failure point of the DOD, not any kind of valves as previously stated. Once you get a cam in there, replace all 16 lifters, don't skimp on parts and yes you will absolutely need a tune once the cam is changed out or if you're staying stock and want to turn off the DOD(turning it off does not change anything mechanically and it is still the weak link). Also, during the test drive, take off from a dead stop with some authority. Listen for a clunking coming from under your seat. Could be the driveshaft center support bearing (2 piece shaft). A general "floatiness" will also be felt if the cars shocks and struts are on their way out. Other than those issues, mechanically there's not much else to really worry about.
Belo and jmorato427 like this.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:42 AM

Stock V6 exhaust has a single pipe on each side. V8ís have dual tips on each side. If itís modded, yer on yer own.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDBPR View Post
Definitely some questionable responses in this thread....Anyway, strut bushings of the rubber variety get eaten by this hefty pig. When you pop the hood, look at the strut caps and see if they are popped up more than half an inch off the strut tower. Preferably, they should be sitting right on the strut tower. Easy part to change and lots of replacement options. Someone mentioned the control arms in the front, there are 4 and the bushing is not usually the part that fails, it's the ball joint. Go over some rough pavement during the test drive and listen for clanking/rattling (but can also be endinks). Watch the engine while it's running and check the crank pulley for wobble and listen for lifter tick/squeaking that speeds up with throttle. That is the main failure point of the DOD, not any kind of valves as previously stated. Once you get a cam in there, replace all 16 lifters, don't skimp on parts and yes you will absolutely need a tune once the cam is changed out or if you're staying stock and want to turn off the DOD(turning it off does not change anything mechanically and it is still the weak link). Also, during the test drive, take off from a dead stop with some authority. Listen for a clunking coming from under your seat. Could be the driveshaft center support bearing (2 piece shaft). A general "floatiness" will also be felt if the cars shocks and struts are on their way out. Other than those issues, mechanically there's not much else to really worry about.
Thank you this is the type of response I was hoping to receive. I plan to keep the engine internals fairly stock. My first order of business is to address the DOD issue and since im in there replace all the lifters not just DOD and since im going to have to tune it afterwards figure I do headers, intake and crank pulley. Ill go ahead check and change all the bushings and ball joints if need be.

Thanks
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 AM

I understand your wanting to be pro-active and addressing the DOD issue but keep in mind there are a far greater percentage of 6.0L's out there that have not and will never have lifter problems.
Your call, your G8 but something to think about.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:51 AM

in addition to the dod (hasn't been a problem for me *knocks on wood*) check to see if the LCA recall has been done and just know the paint f'n sucks on this car. Like the worst, most rock chip paint ever known to the car world.

Most everything else is minor.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
I understand your wanting to be pro-active and addressing the DOD issue but keep in mind there are a far greater percentage of 6.0L's out there that have not and will never have lifter problems.
Your call, your G8 but something to think about.
This i agree with. Treat her well, change and check the oil and listen for the early warning signs.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Disable Dod and you will be happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page