Tsb wanted ac belt- p/s leak. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
FBM

Tsb wanted ac belt- p/s leak.

I am having some issues with my dealer and extended warranty my complaints are
a/c belt popping off they claim it's oil from power steering I found a chunk of tensioner missing and no oil near it
Power steering leak at condenser they claim it's the hoses need replacing I have tightened them and I have cleaned it in the past and found the condenser leaking near the fittings

I am looking for any tsb that relates to my issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:35 AM
The Mustang dude

There is no tsb for either.
The belt is because the stock belt is junk or maybe the balancer is out of wack and throwing the belt. Replacing either of them is on you.
PS leak at condenser is common. Never found why it did it, but many cars had the problem. Tightening the clamps wont help. Get on RockAuto or one of the GM parts sites and buy a new condenser. I replaced mine myself. ONly thing I had to do was have a local shop open the AC system, evacuate the refrigerant and then replace it 2 hrs later when I brought the car back.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:24 AM

Far too many exceptions when it comes to most extended warranties so never bothered to purchase one on anything.
Air conditioner belt... https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ain-again.html
Power steering fluid leak.. https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tec...ak-cooler.html

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
FBM

I appreciate all your input but I did find the ac belt tsb that says check and replace the harmonic balancer and replace ac bracket with idler pulley as for the power steering leak I am gonna need to wash it all down and have them look at it again this specific dealer always gives me a hassle but it's right down the street so its convenient and my warranty company has never said no but thanks again
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5litrarag View Post
There is no tsb for either.
The belt is because the stock belt is junk or maybe the balancer is out of wack and throwing the belt. Replacing either of them is on you.
It's the AC bracket. The updated bracket is required. They came standard on the Caprices so the part is readily available stateside.

Quote:
PS leak at condenser is common. Never found why it did it, but many cars had the problem. Tightening the clamps wont help. Get on RockAuto or one of the GM parts sites and buy a new condenser. I replaced mine myself. ONly thing I had to do was have a local shop open the AC system, evacuate the refrigerant and then replace it 2 hrs later when I brought the car back.
I couldn't find out exactly where mine was leaking from on the condenser either. I just hope that the new OEM part I bought was redesigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM View Post
I appreciate all your input but I did find the ac belt tsb that says check and replace the harmonic balancer and replace ac bracket with idler pulley
Yes, get the revised bracket and new [longer] belt for the revised bracket.

Information on both: https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ml#post3415586

Quote:
as for the power steering leak I am gonna need to wash it all down and have them look at it again this specific dealer always gives me a hassle but it's right down the street so its convenient and my warranty company has never said no but thanks again
You will need a new condenser. Go with the OEM condenser and not the aftermarket ones you find online or on eBay. Trust me. I've tried the aftermarket ones and it's not a direct fix. Spend the money and go OEM (it doesn't have to be purchased at a dealership; new OEM parts can be found online as well).

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 AM
The Mustang dude

Maybe the bracket is part of it... but Id tend to think a balancer with a slight wobble in it would be enough to toss the belt. I bought a new belt and that did it for mine 3+ yrs ago.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5litrarag View Post
Maybe the bracket is part of it... but Id tend to think a balancer with a slight wobble in it would be enough to toss the belt. I bought a new belt and that did it for mine 3+ yrs ago.
I understand. But even with the balancer being good, the harmonics in the belt attached to the original bracket allow for the belt to jump. You can risk damaging the compressor, among other things.

JCMG8 said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMG8 View Post
This. Root cause has been documented.

I'd wager that when the belt jumps again, takes out the AC pulley, Cam sensor (and harness) resulting in a flatbed ride -no one will come back in the thread and admit it.

It's not a question of if, it's when.

But hey, what does GM know? They were wasting money to design and manufacture a solution (bracket) when a simple belt size change is the fix. Internal statistics of failure was so low, they decided to document it with a malarkey TSB. Geesh.
https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ml#post3651333

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 AM

More information about various belts (https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...l#post3424226):
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
That Gatorback belt you list, is that the size needed for a SLP/Powerbond balancer.
From Paul on the other forum:

Quote:
V8 with stock GM crank balancer:

Main Belt -
Gates KO60763, Dayco 5060763, ACdelco 6k763, Goodyear gatorback 4060763, GM 92067442.
- with or without Holden A/C Bracket fix

AC Belt - Gates KO40430, Dayco 5040430, ACdelco 4k430, Goodyear gatorback 4040433, GM92068285 (4PK1101).
- without Holden A/C Bracket fix

AC Belt - Gates 4PK1108, (40438 should also work or 4040438 gatorback), GM 92244381 (4PK1108).
- with Holden A/C Bracket fix
Quote:
V8 with Powerbond Black Series 25% U/D crank balancer:

Main Belt -
Goodyear Gatorback 6PK1905
- with or without Holden A/C Bracket fix

AC Belt - Goodyear Gatorback 4PK1040
- without Holden A/C Bracket fix

AC Belt -Goodyear Gatorback 4PK1065
- with Holden A/C Bracket fix
UDP Belts - Page 3

Check to see which version of the Powerbond UDP you have. The first design only underdrove the main belt. The second design, "Powerbond Black Series," underdrove both the main and the A/C belt.

So if you have the first design, then you would order the A/C belt I listed (Gatorback 4040438) for the Holden A/C fix. If you have the black series second design, then you would order Gatorback 4PK1065 since the second design/Powerbond Black Series underdrives the A/C belt as well as the main belt and the fact that you'll be using the newer bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page