Failing TPMS sensor causing non stop low tire pressure chimes. Any way to disable? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Failing TPMS sensor causing non stop low tire pressure chimes. Any way to disable?

Hello all, I have a failing TPMS sensor in my left front tire that is giving inconsistent readings. The problem is that the readings vary constantly between normal tire pressure and low tire pressure. I get readings between 1-84 PSI. This causes the low tire pressure chime to constantly go off as it goes back and forth, sometimes as often as every 10 seconds!!!!! It's driving me crazy!!!

Is there any way I can disable the system or make it fault? Like is there any fuse I can pull or something? I just want the chime to go away before I get time to take it to the shop to get this dealt with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:49 PM

Do you have a spare tire with a sensor in it? One of mine recently died, so I just did the relearn procedure using the spare instead. So i don't get all the warnings while I wait to get the bad sensor replaced.

I'm not aware of a way to disable the system.

Maybe you can do the same tire twice when doing the relearn?

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:57 PM
The Mustang dude

Nope. No way to disable.
Just buy a new sensor from Amazon for 25 bucks and take it over to the shop on a saturday morning and fix it.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 AM

Maybe I'm lucky, but I am just getting a "Tire Pressure System Fault" displayed during startup which can be minimized to something not distracting. Will leave it as the last time I had tpms sensors replaced on a truck, it ended up costing $50 per wheel (includes the sensor).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_G8 View Post
Hello all, I have a failing TPMS sensor in my left front tire that is giving inconsistent readings. The problem is that the readings vary constantly between normal tire pressure and low tire pressure. I get readings between 1-84 PSI. This causes the low tire pressure chime to constantly go off as it goes back and forth, sometimes as often as every 10 seconds...
If the tire pressure monitoring system sensors have not been replaced, then it's probably time to change all of them. Reason being, battery life is +/- nine years and since one is on its way out, the others will soon follow. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Maybe I'm lucky, but I am just getting a "Tire Pressure System Fault" displayed during startup which can be minimized to something not distracting...
When the tire pressure monitoring sensor fault appears, try scrolling to the tire pressure readout and see which sensor(s) have an inaccurate reading or show "--" for a numerical value. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm lucky, but I am just getting a "Tire Pressure System Fault" displayed during startup which can be minimized to something not distracting. Will leave it as the last time I had tpms sensors replaced on a truck, it ended up costing $50 per wheel (includes the sensor).
Tire Pressure System Fault is different than a sensor fault. I'm getting the System Fault message and need to find the problem.

09 G8GT, LR,
70 Nova SS L78

"Knowledge Is Good"
Emil Fabor
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
Tire Pressure System Fault is different than a sensor fault. I'm getting the System Fault message and need to find the problem.
OK, thanks. Will be looking for what you find out.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM

I see others have (what I also would call a system fault). Mine is for sure caused by a very strong transmitting signal (in a specific area) only during the dark hours of the work week. It causes all 4 positions to display --- on the PSI page (as well as when checking the engineering page information). It somehow has the power to override all 4 wheel transponder signals. Once those timed transmit signals disappear for a while, the RCDLR has no choice but to default to the failed mode display. This due to *it* no longer seeing any reliable psi signals being transmitted from the wheels. Once the car gets out of that bad area (an the car travels about 4 miles down the highway), the transmitter signals are again seen by the RCDLR, an the system reverts back to normal operation. It sure would be nice, if a logical cause/solution gets posted.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM

OK, just checked engineering mode and all 4 display ---. Just assumed the Tire Pressure System Fault was due to the 9 yr old sensors dying. Happens wherever/whenever I start the car. Curious as to the cause but not gonna spend the bucks to get new sensors when I can just minimize the fault display. Maybe the next time I get tires I'll get new sensors.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
OK, just checked engineering mode and all 4 display ---. Just assumed the Tire Pressure System Fault was due to the 9 yr old sensors dying. Happens wherever/whenever I start the car. Curious as to the cause but not gonna spend the bucks to get new sensors when I can just minimize the fault display. Maybe the next time I get tires I'll get new sensors.
What do you do to Minimize the fault display?

09 G8GT, LR,
70 Nova SS L78

"Knowledge Is Good"
Emil Fabor
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM

As soon as you hear the chime an see the flashing symbol (or maybe yours is just steady *whatever*) press the left scroll wheel. That tells the car that you are aware of the problem (an will deal with it later). The DIC will revert back to the speed display, an move the info to the bottom edge of the screen. But the symbol in the cluster just keeps on a glowing until it either self corrects, or the problem source is corrected..
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Thank you for that info.

09 G8GT, LR,
70 Nova SS L78

"Knowledge Is Good"
Emil Fabor
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Even thou I continue to get a TPMS system failure during work week nights only, at very specific locations, I can now see that the TPMS *actually* works very well. The car sat for 2 weeks in the garage. After starting it up, I got a TPMS warning. Well crap, now I'm getting the problem by just having the car sit for a couple of weeks. Figuring it was just another nuisance dropout, I minimized it while thinking *did I actually see different information displayed in the DIC. So after backing out of the garage I cycled the Trip button to the tire pressure display. I expected to find the usual ---- at all 4 positions. But NO, it showed the right rear tire was down to 25 psi. Had to leave for baby sitting duty, so off we went. The car seemed fine (so it must not really be a problem). The I was overridden by my wife to check that out, so back to the house we go. The tire looked like it could be a *little* low. Using my direct reading gauge, I find 25 psi in there. Brought the psi back up to 37 and the TPMS fault condition cleared. So the TPMS system in this car, does monitor an send out good info to the cluster. The bad, is that I have sense found a metal object stuck in that tire. It appears to loose about a half a pound each day. Soon I'll take the tire/wheel to Americas tire an have them fix same.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:30 PM

With our low profile tires, pressure can get pretty low before they look bad.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Currently my car is stuck on TPMS System Failure and I get the ----. It reset itself once after about 10 minutes.
The sensors are 10 years old now with the original tires as well but I doubt they all went dead at once.
Sure would like to know the source of the communication loss.

09 G8GT, LR,
70 Nova SS L78

"Knowledge Is Good"
Emil Fabor
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 PM

I am old school and have a tire pressure gage in every vehicle. These TPMS systems are a 'scratch your butt for you' tech but when they start acting up (like batteries dying) and to replace them could run $200. I replaced them on a 08 truck for $200 2 yrs ago and recently had a low pressure situation and got nothing from the TPMS system. I say f&##$ them.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:46 PM

"L78steve" I'm pretty sure the high end TPMS tester used at the Americas Tire outlets, is the type that can not only program *all* cars (that are transponder interrogate type), it can test an report back the condition of the battery embedded within each transponder. Maybe (if you have one of these tire stores near enough to you), you can ask them for a quick courtesy check to see if all 4 have good battery power as well being able to transmit their assigned code information. Maybe if one or more is in bad shape, the system produces the fault/display you now have.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
Currently my car is stuck on TPMS System Failure and I get the ----. It reset itself once after about 10 minutes. The sensors are 10 years old now with the original tires as well but I doubt they all went dead at once. Sure would like to know the source of the communication loss.
Since the sensors are ten years old, the batteries are probably weak and perhaps intermittently communicating with the body control module. Bear in mind, shelf/real life duration of a sensor is typically around +/- nine years perchance with a few anomalies. Having said that, would replace all four sensors and commence the troubleshooting process. Also, the sensors are not serviceable and new valve stems can be purchased from most automotive parts stores. Don't recall the exact turn-key cost of replacing them years ago, but well worth the expense. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Thank you for the input.I'll get the sensors changed and see what happens.

09 G8GT, LR,
70 Nova SS L78

"Knowledge Is Good"
Emil Fabor
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:53 PM

When one of mine died recently, it did the most unhelpful thing and displayed -- in all four positions. Heaven forbid they make it easy on everyone to see which is the problem by still showing the 3 that are working. Fortunately for me, I have a TPMS scanner that told me which was bad. I didn't have to change all four to make the light go away. Though, it's still got a ways to go before it's paid for itself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page