Alternator warning and battery light on? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Alternator warning and battery light on?

Well here we go just before Christmas Alternator warning light suddenly on. It came on just before I got to work, I shut off everything I could, it went out. Going home almost home and it came on again. Shut off everything again and it did not go off. I guess my question is? Is there a common problem other than I need to replace it? Connector melting as in the past GM's? Regulator goes at a certain mileage. Or is it pay $200 and replace it. Can the regulator be replaced? It is available for $50. Kind of wasn't expecting this problem just before XMAS. Obviously I need to diagnose this further. I haven't tested voltage yet. Just wanted to reach out to everyone for experienced advice on the G8 with the exact problem. Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 AM

I just replaced my alternator. Exact same problem. Turned out I had a bad battery as well. Mechanic said bad battery could have caused the alternator to finally fail.
I also bought a "Battery Tender" now, to keep new battery from running down while garaged. PS, G8 alternators are not cheap
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM

If you have to use the car (in its current condition), get the car into the engineering display mode prior to starting. You can then select the voltage output page to see how the Alternator is performing (voltage wise). To me it sounds like an Alternator failure. I know they are not cheap. It looks like it would cost you about $194 for a new unit at this time. That's very close to what I had to pay a couple of years ago.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Batteries for these cars aren't the cheapest either according to my Visa bill....and I got an employee discount.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
As always I can reach out to the G 8 owners on this page and get help. Thank you all very much. Yeah I kinda went against my gut and purchased a re manufactured one for $150 from one of the discount auto retailers. Luckily it all worked out. Lifetime warranty, took 4 days to ship to me. Pulled an all niter. Definitely recommend during reassembly using antisieze where ever mixed metals make contact. There was an underlying story to explain the all niter. It all happened over 5 days. I lost my Grandmother. All the savings went to Xmas gifts. Problem with the alternator started on Monday. Grandmother passed on Wednesday. Funeral on Friday. Ordered part on Monday. 3-4 days shipping. Received it 6 PM Thursday. Drove the car for the whole week to work only, waiting for the part. Left at 6 AM Friday to the funeral. 3 hours each way to northern Philly. What a test drive. I am keeping the core. I noticed I can get a regulator for $40 new. I figure that was the actual failure do to the intermittent working not working symptom. Great idea to monitor the voltage in engineering mode. But when it wasn't flashing alternator crossed the information screen it was charging above 12.6 Volts. Trust in the sensors right? Once again Thank You G 8 nation for the info. Happy XMAS to everyone.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracers08 View Post
Yeah I kinda went against my gut and purchased a re manufactured one for $150 from one of the discount auto retailers.
Good luck with that.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother especially during this "joyous" time of the year. Hopefully, the remaunfactured unit will last a reasonable amount of time. If you're able to conclude the regulator in the original unit failed, perhaps you could order a new one and replace it when both time and money permit. Essentially, you'll have a fully functional spare. Good luck
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 AM

If you start having weird electrical problems with anything electrical, its the aftermarket alternator. The g8 is super picky when it comes to electronics and the rule of thumb is anything electrical, use AC Delco. Many many have bought 2 alternators.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank You all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:43 AM

First take your battery to get tested at your local auto parts store. If it's bad they are about $130. If it is good then go for the alternator. And most auto parts places can get you ac delco parts the same day if not in stock with a warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page