License plate lights not working - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

License plate lights not working

So I checked the license plate lights fuse and it was fine. Replaced the bulbs and still neither come on.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:14 PM

There is a 2 wire harness connector located under the rear shelf on the passenger side (behind the right side trim). It feeds those 2 wires thru the rubber flex boot an trunk deck, to the license plate lights. There have been a few members that have had 1 or both wires breakdown in the past ( most likely within the rubber boot area). May not be the easiest area to T/S, but my guess is that is where you'll most likely find the damaged/broken wire(s).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
There is a 2 wire harness connector located under the rear shelf on the passenger side (behind the right side trim). It feeds those 2 wires thru the rubber flex boot an trunk deck, to the license plate lights. There have been a few members that have had 1 or both wires breakdown in the past ( most likely within the rubber boot area). May not be the easiest area to T/S, but my guess is that is where you'll most likely find the damaged/broken wire(s).
I disconnected the connector and confirmed I'm getting 12 volts. Now how to remove the wire from inside the truck lid is the issue. The whole wire is covered in foam and electric tape. What a major pain.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:32 PM

A breakdown of either the power or ground wire downstream of that 2 pin connector, will of course cause the same problem. With the 2 pin connector hooked up (an parking lights selected on), getting either a good power and or ground return reading at the lamp sockets, would help you determine if one or both wires are in trouble. I can't tell you to do this, but if the stationary section of the wiring harness looks rock solid passing thru the trunk lid, it almost has to be within the rubber transition boot. If I had to T/S this, an found that I had enough access to stagger cut the 2 wires downstream of the boot, that's what I would try for. If one or both wires proved out as faulty at that cut point, you could then attach an back pull 2 fresh wires thru the rubber boot. Then stagger cut the upstream wires from the 2 pin connector at a convenient location, then splice an wrap up everything as necessary.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

The broken wire was in the rubber boot. Huge thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
A breakdown of either the power or ground wire downstream of that 2 pin connector, will of course cause the same problem. With the 2 pin connector hooked up (an parking lights selected on), getting either a good power and or ground return reading at the lamp sockets, would help you determine if one or both wires are in trouble. I can't tell you to do this, but if the stationary section of the wiring harness looks rock solid passing thru the trunk lid, it almost has to be within the rubber transition boot. If I had to T/S this, an found that I had enough access to stagger cut the 2 wires downstream of the boot, that's what I would try for. If one or both wires proved out as faulty at that cut point, you could then attach an back pull 2 fresh wires thru the rubber boot. Then stagger cut the upstream wires from the 2 pin connector at a convenient location, then splice an wrap up everything as necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page