G8 V6 Transmission Fluid Change (Pan drop) - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

G8 V6 Transmission Fluid Change (Pan drop)

Similar to the other thread for the GT, does anyone have a how-to on changing the fluid on a V6? Especially how to check the level afterwards. V6 NOT the same as the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:35 PM

They show the bottom pan bolt *is* the drain plug on this transmission. They tell you to throw away that drain plug an install a new one (why, I don't know). After draining the pan, they say to install your new drain bolt/plug (or I suppose the original, if needing a new one doesn't really seem necessary). Remove the pan bolts, an tap on the pan with a rubber mallet if necessary to break it free. Complete the pan inspection an filter change if desired, an reinstall the bolts an torque to the listed torque of 97 inch pounds. The fill an level check plug (which is installed in a horizontal format), appears to be located about 2" aft of the pans leading edge on the drivers side, in the case just above the pan itself. This gear box says to pump in 7.4 qts an install the fill/level plug. Run the engine an upon reaching the Trans fluid temp range of 86 to 122 degrees F, remove the fill plug. If fluid running out, wait till it drips an reinstall the plug. If no fluid drip, add about 1/2 quart an check again.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Almost finished. There is NO drain plug bolt on this one. Removed the side fill plug which got some fluid out, then removed the pan bolts so one side of the pan was lowered and let the rest of the fluid drain.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Well that just shows that printed words, lack of proof reading, etc in the service manual, continue to keep showing up. Sorry for miss leading you a bit here. If you actually own an 08 version, maybe the trans pan configuration was different than the 09. My service manual is the 09 version.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

There is an indented place in the pan but no drain bolt.

Last edited by atikovi; 01-17-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:38 PM

My son did my trans fluid at his GM dealership a few years ago, I seem to remember if there is indeed an check/drain plug on a V6 trans there was an advisory or re-call on said plug.
Apparently my trans pan has such a plug....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Have to get the car level to adjust the fluid level and without a lift, ramps in the front and jack stands in the back is the next best thing.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 AM

Can you take a pic or tell me where the fill plug is located. I see a torx bit screw just above the pan on the drivers side.
I just joined this forum so Ill try to add pictures of what im talking about.

Some of the fluid came out when you pull this plug was stated above. If that happens, when I go to refill how do I know its full?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 AM

https://www.g8board.com/forums/attac...162285&thumb=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G8.jpg (46.5 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgra2951 View Post
Can you take a pic or tell me where the fill plug is located. I see a torx bit screw just above the pan on the drivers side.
I just joined this forum so Ill try to add pictures of what im talking about.

Some of the fluid came out when you pull this plug was stated above. If that happens, when I go to refill how do I know its full?
The transmission needs to be at a certain temperature range - if I recall correctly, it's between 40-60 degrees but someone can correct me on that as needed. Apply parking brake and chock the wheels for safety. Engine RUNNING and transmission in PARK, vehicle should be level. Unscrew the torx head plug on the driver's side of the trans towards the rear of the trans housing. You should get a light trickle. If you get nothing, add fluid until you get a light trickle. If you get a stream coming out, the fluid is overfilled and you need to let it drain down until it is at a light trickle. Make sure not to remove the plug when the engine is off, and make sure to put the plug back in before turning off the engine, or the fluid will pour out at an extreme rate and the level will be low as a result.

It only took a few litres when I did the pan myself. I did the filter at 50,000k and I have done machine fluid exchanges (not flushes) every 50-80k since.

Adam (KNTRDR)
Burlington, ON
2009 G8 V6
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Thank you so much. I got it done today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in