Key stuck in ignition - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Key stuck in ignition

Hello all, I'm really stuck on this issue that I have with my 2009 G8 GT. It belongs to my wife, her daily driver. Never had any issues with the car. The other day she left work, a few minutes later the car was idling high as if she were hitting the throttle. She pulls over turns off the ignition, was unable to fire the car back up and now the key is stuck in the ignition and there is no power going to anything in the car. I checked all the fuses in all 3 locations and not a one looked burnt out. the battery reads at 12.5v and i am unable to shift the car in neutral. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:06 PM

How is it, that you know the battery has 12.5 volts, if the car is in a no power going to anything condition ? We can do somethings to narrow down the problem area if you have a multi meter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Check all of the grounds. I had my car die on the road due to one of them.

1. battery where it connects to the chassis
2. front of engine on passenger side
3. 2-3 bolts in the fuse box

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:49 PM

The battery/chassis ground has been highlighted as a potential problem. It is right by the battery, rearward of it, going down into the trunk floor. The underside can corrode due to exposure to the elements. Might still look ok from the top.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Do you windows, mirrors and lock unlock work on you car?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you ill check that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

the only thing getting power is the blinking red light on the cd player. no power to anything. i even had the battery load tested and recharged.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:53 PM

You need access to a multi-meter. With that meter in hand, verify if the 12 volts are showing up at the underhood jump posts. If OK verify you have that power showing up at the underhood fuse panel (there is a large feed wire bolted at the front of that panel). It sounds like you have no power reaching that fuse box. Without power, you are big time dead in the water. There are a few things that get their power from the aft fuse panel, but if the underhood fuse panel has no power, you would be unable to make even those items come to life. If in fact you have power at the underhood jump posts, but have lost power to that underhood fuse panel, it would read that your inline 175 link fuse has failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no power , stuck in park. , stuck key

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page