AC diagnosis - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

AC diagnosis

Diagnosing no cold air today, and discovered that the high side Schrader valve leaks. I was reviewing https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ance-g8-2.html and see that the valve is indeed serviceable, so I'm going to order one up. I also injected fluorescent dye just in case there is more than one leak. I loaded up about 2 cans worth, and am seeing 35-40 on the low side and 160-170 on the high side with temps around 77 in fairly humid conditions. My quandry... the air isn't blowing as cold as I'd hoped (I didn't have a thermometer handy, so I don't have an actual temp). There was some pressure still in the system, so I didn't evacuate it before starting today (mistake?). Obviously I'm going to have to do so when I open it to replace the valve, so I'll cover that this week. Should I replace the dryer dessicant since I'll have the system open? Any other obvious thinks to look at for sub-optimal cooling?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:04 PM

I wonder>>>>>> If each can had 12 oz an you got all of that into the system (an added to whatever amount you still had in there), it would be over serviced. I seem to remember that equals less than desirable cooling taking place (the compressor may be throttling back its cooling capability to protect *it* an the system ). They show that the system should only have 20.5 oz in there. Being under or over the correct refrigerant quantity prevents the A/C from cooling as it should. But if your going to dump or recover all of that refrigerant an then evacuate the system, then testing the A/C system by removing some of the refrigerant to see how that effects the cooling, probably isn't going to happen. I don't know if that part has to be replaced, if the system was not compromised.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgun View Post
Diagnosing no cold air today, and discovered that the high side Schrader valve leaks. I was reviewing https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ance-g8-2.html and see that the valve is indeed serviceable, so I'm going to order one up. I also injected fluorescent dye just in case there is more than one leak. I loaded up about 2 cans worth, and am seeing 35-40 on the low side and 160-170 on the high side with temps around 77 in fairly humid conditions. My quandry... the air isn't blowing as cold as I'd hoped (I didn't have a thermometer handy, so I don't have an actual temp). There was some pressure still in the system, so I didn't evacuate it before starting today (mistake?). Obviously I'm going to have to do so when I open it to replace the valve, so I'll cover that this week. Should I replace the dryer dessicant since I'll have the system open? Any other obvious thinks to look at for sub-optimal cooling?

Thanks!
The high side isn't a Schrader valve. It's a ball valve.

My post in the link you posted worked out great for me.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:39 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
The high side isn't a Schrader valve. It's a ball valve.

My post in the link you posted worked out great for me.
Did you wind up replacing the ball valve with the shraeder style?
DId you do it yourself?

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page