Intermittent Rubbing Noise In Passenger Wheel Well - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent Rubbing Noise In Passenger Wheel Well

Hi All,

I'am just looking for some insight on an issue I am having with my nearly stock V6 G8.
There seems to be a rubbing noise that is off and on again coming from the passenger side wheel well. The noise sounds like light metal on metal contact. The noise happens about every 5 seconds consistently lasting for a fraction of a second. The strange part is that the noise is really only prevalent from 85ish-120 KM/H. The noise happens consistently for a while and then will go away for a bit and then come back. The noise stays at the same tone and doesn't seem to change in volume.

I am just looking for any assistance that can be provided. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 PM

In of itself, its amazing that you can pinpoint the location of the sound moving along at those speeds. Maybe you can (eliminate or find out) if the brakes an its hardware have anything to do with it. Like cruising along within that mentioned speed range, an pressing on the brake pedal a bit, to see if creating that drag effect on the rotors changes anything.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I have tried pulsing the brakes lightly and mashing them. Doesn't seem to affect the noise what so ever. The car seems to have a lot of sway or "wander" when I drive out in the country. I was thinking the noise might be due to a warp rotor clipping a brake pad. The noise seems to far spaced to be that though.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:42 PM

Have never had experience with faulty wheel bearings. Is there any chance that the passenger side wheel bearing is starting to go bad ? I know from several past threads, its usually found (sound wise) that when making a left turn, it would tend to indicate that the right side bearing is failing. But maybe in its early stages of a pending failure, it will make some random sounds as well cause the front end to wander a bit (like with the help of any gusts of wind from either side if the car). This is just a guess due to lack of knowledge with this type of problem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Have never had experience with faulty wheel bearings. Is there any chance that the passenger side wheel bearing is starting to go bad ? I know from several past threads, its usually found (sound wise) that when making a left turn, it would tend to indicate that the right side bearing is failing. But maybe in its early stages of a pending failure, it will make some random sounds as well cause the front end to wander a bit (like with the help of any gusts of wind from either side if the car). This is just a guess due to lack of knowledge with this type of problem.
I was thinking that might be an issue. Usually wheel bearing present in a much louder more consistent noise. I did the 9 and 3 shake test to see if there is any play and right now there is none. In early January I hit a curb on the passenger side and bent a lower control arm (rim and tire was fine), the LCA was replaced and I got an alignment. I have sinced changed to my summer rims and nearly new tires. The rims were balanced less than a year ago. This issue hasn't presented itself until recently... at least that I know of. I wonder if the hub could have been bent/or dis formed enough to allow play and that would explain the noise at high speed only?

Thanks for the help too!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Thinking that those that due that wiggle check, I thought that was for trying to locate or see where components attached to the spindle might be bad. Since the caliper an its mounting bracket are attached to the spindle, it might make for a problem in testing the hub itself. As in, the caliper with its brake pads hugging the rotor which is attached to the hub, might make for a tough time trying to see *IF* there actually is any movement happening between the bearing an its race. If the pads were removed (as an example), that would create the space to then move the hub about, without any brake interference. Unless I've got my thinking mixed up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Thinking that those that due that wiggle check, I thought that was for trying to locate or see where components attached to the spindle might be bad. Since the caliper an its mounting bracket are attached to the spindle, it might make for a problem in testing the hub itself. As in, the caliper with its brake pads hugging the rotor which is attached to the hub, might make for a tough time trying to see *IF* there actually is any movement happening between the bearing an its race. If the pads were removed (as an example), that would create the space to then move the hub about, without any brake interference. Unless I've got my thinking mixed up.
Didn't realize it was mounted to the spindle too, Ill pull the pads out and check them this weekend. Thanks for the help, Ill let you know what happens this weekend.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I still can't seem to figure it out. I ended up testing without the pads, it was alright. I did find a bad tie rod end on the side and replaced my front brakes. I was hoping that was going to fix it and it seems it helped. There seems to be only a small amount of feedback now which I can deal with. Any chance a rack on the way out could cause this?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page