Power Steering Leak? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jova007200

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering Leak?

I've got ATF on my driveway. Car leaves a few drops when parked.

But it doesn't appear to be trans related. Trans pan is dry, lines coming out and going all the way to the rad are dry. But my oil pan is wet.

I cannot see any evidence of anything wet from the top, only the bottom.

Any ideas to check?

2009 GT SRM - 90k miles - BMR, SuperPro, Brembos, Rotofab, HPTuners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrissjr View Post
I've got ATF on my driveway. Car leaves a few drops when parked.

But it doesn't appear to be trans related. Trans pan is dry, lines coming out and going all the way to the rad are dry. But my oil pan is wet.

I cannot see any evidence of anything wet from the top, only the bottom.

Any ideas to check?
I would assume power steering too. Probably obvious but have you check to see if the power steering fluid is low? Have you taken a look at the pump to see if its wet, id probably check the rack too. Could the ATF be hitting the belt and flying around?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Pump doesn't seem wet. Honestly can't find any evidence of a leak from the top.

PS doesn't seem low either. It's not completely full but I don't know if it was before either.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
Check your power steering cooler. It is integrated into the bottom of the condenser and a common leak point.
GXP25 and ebg8gt like this.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Check your power steering cooler. It is integrated into the bottom of the condenser and a common leak point.
The under tray, below the front bumper, was a mess on mine from the cooler leaking. Small standalone cooler fixed it quickly without having to mess with the AC system.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post

The under tray, below the front bumper, was a mess on mine from the cooler leaking. Small standalone cooler fixed it quickly without having to mess with the AC system.
It's definitely more costly to repair if you go after the condenser, but the condenser is easy to replace.

It was a third of ther current cost when it happened to me, though. The price of the condenser has sky rocketed indeed.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

It's not dripping on the under tray though. Way farther back, dripping down the oil pan. The plastic tray is bone dry.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
How about a few good photos?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Where did you install your stand alone cooler? I'm in the same boat. I searched and several folks seem to have installed externals but no write-ups seem to exist.

I was looking at the area behind the front bumper but in front of the radiator.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM

Here is mine. It's sagging down right now because my car is all torn apart with the radiator and all out. Normally it's mounted with 2 of those cooler zip-tie mounts, through the ac condenser and radiator.

The cooler is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13211

If I had to do it over again (which I'm going to), I'd do it in a way to not have that long loop of hose, but it works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190529_205030.jpg (142.6 KB, 17 views)

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Here is mine. It's sagging down right now because my car is all torn apart with the radiator and all out. Normally it's mounted with 2 of those cooler zip-tie mounts, through the ac condenser and radiator.

The cooler is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13211

If I had to do it over again (which I'm going to), I'd do it in a way to not have that long loop of hose, but it works fine.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing. I ordered a Hayden unit that looks very similar earlier this evening. Did you just remove the hose at the old cooler inlet/outlet and put some unions between it and the new hose? That would seem to make sense. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncor2577 View Post
Thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing. I ordered a Hayden unit that looks very similar earlier this evening. Did you just remove the hose at the old cooler inlet/outlet and put some unions between it and the new hose? That would seem to make sense. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something.
I actually ran new lines since I was also doing a power steering reservoir relocation at that time. It's just off-the-shelf 3/8" hose. Just make sure it's rated for ATF.

Then I just capped the OE cooler with some vacuum caps. They've stayed on fine.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Just updated my oen post about this problem and saw your post. Check it out:

https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tec...ak-cooler.html
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 AM

My PS leak was from the rack. Check the inner tie rod boots, if they are wet it is leaking out of the rack&pinnion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page