Recalled before it hits the streets? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Cynical A$$hole

Recalled before it hits the streets?

Only pertains to VE V6 models that were produced before Dec. 5th '07. I'm guessing that a few of those were G8's.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=47129&vf=12

Quote:
Holden is recalling more than 86,000 Commodores and Statesmans to fix a potential fuel leak that could lead to a fire.

The recall affects every V6-powered VE Commodore and luxury WM Statesman and Caprice models sold since the vehicle went on sale in August 2006.

As well as 53,180 cars sold in Australia, the recall involves 27,083 vehicles exported to the Middle East, 5456 to New Zealand, 784 to Brazil and 26 to other countries, including Korea. In total 86,539 Commodores, Statesmans and Caprices are being recalled.

The recall does not affect V8-powered Commodores, more of which were sold than ever before in 2007.

The latest safety recall of Holden’s so-called “billion-dollar baby” represents the third time the much-hyped VE Commodore has been recalled for safety issues.

“There’s a potential issue where a fuel line can rub [and wear through] leading to a fuel leak,” says a Holden spokeswoman. “We’d rather err on the side of caution and recall the [affected] vehicles.”

Leaking fuel could ultimately lead to a fire.

“We couldn’t rule that out,” says the spokeswoman. “But there’s been no cases of that whatsoever. But we couldn’t sit here and say it’s an impossibility.”

The fuel leak issue has already affected 19 vehicles – none of which caught fire - prompting Holden to recall every V6 version of the latest VE Commodore built up until 5 December 2007.

However, Holden says “the chances are very low” of a fuel leak.

Holden is asking Commodore owners and drivers to contact a Holden dealer to book their vehicles in for repair. The recall fix takes about 30 minutes and involves rerouting the fuel line so it doesn’t rub on other components.

Owners of affected Commodores, Statesmans and Caprices can also dial Holden's advice line for more information on recalls, 1800 632 826.

GXP #807
MSM/Onyx A6 w/Roof

Purchased: 5/29/09

Mods:
CTS Auto-Dim Mirror, Homelink in Visor, Triple Atari Gauges, Garmin Nuvi 1450, Hawk Ceramic Pads, Roto-Fab, 35% Tint, ClearBra, Video In Park, VMR V710 19's, SLP Springs, Full BMR Bushing kit, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Sways, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Adjustable End links, BP Catchcan, VG Sharkfin, LED Interior/Trunk/Glovebox Ambient Lighting, SLP Lip Spoiler, iPad Ram Mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM

It's literally a 5 minute fix. A cable tie to ensure a fuel feed hose on the engine doesn't rub. If any G8's V6's are affected they would be dealt with at the dealership level before they are handed over to the customer.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM

It's my understanding that the Pontiacs, with the V6, have a slightly different routing and attachment points and that this recall does not apply.

Besides, even if it does, there will only be a few hundred or so on the first boat and someone will be paid to run around and fix this pretty easily...we'll never know for sure.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
US Ute whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly View Post
If any G8's V6's are affected they would be dealt with at the dealership level before they are handed over to the customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradG8 View Post
Besides, even if it does, there will only be a few hundred or so on the first boat and someone will be paid to run around and fix this pretty easily...we'll never know for sure.
Exactly. Since none have been sold in this country, it's not technically a recall. Just one of those "Whew! Glad we caught that" kind of moments.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Talking

I guess that's what rearview mirrors are for. If you see something fall off, you just go back and pick it up.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM

It's good their doing the recall, but I have to wonder how something that basic happens in this day and age.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin View Post
It's good their doing the recall, but I have to wonder how something that basic happens in this day and age.
Think of it this way.....

How many parts are installed/bolted on to the vehicle? Of those, how many do you think someone can goof on? Even machines have the capacity to make mistakes because they are programmed by humans. Every vehicle will have some sort of teething problems, no matter the day and age. Technology can only limit goofs on the assembly line, not eliminate them.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Alexander Haig

Yes, but this issue with the fuel line is not because of a goof in assemble, it has to do with real world conditions of driving causing a failure of design, where none was anticipated. And before you blame the engineeers unless they experience at least one failure during the million mile testing that new vehicles go through they would never have suspected there would be a problem. Good news they are fixing it. And we may never know if the G8 V6 has this issue - but can be assured if it does it will be fixed prior to any retail sale.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 AM

This is normal quality control. It is important that people realize that these recalls mean that the manufacturer is realizing a problem that was not anticipated, and is fixing it. Engineers sometimes don't anticipate a particular problem, and it sometimes goes unrealized during testing. This happens even to Mercedes.

The Pontiac Revolution
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIncredibleBulk View Post
Think of it this way.....

How many parts are installed/bolted on to the vehicle? Of those, how many do you think someone can goof on? Even machines have the capacity to make mistakes because they are programmed by humans. Every vehicle will have some sort of teething problems, no matter the day and age. Technology can only limit goofs on the assembly line, not eliminate them.
I agree with everything you said, however it certainly makes some people (including me) a little wary. The brand new Toyota Tundra has had a problem with the tailgate separating and failing. Again a very simple problem that should not happen in this day and age.

Last edited by Pushing_Tin; 01-11-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 PM

what is the difference between the G8 and Holden Commodore?

i see a lot of people talk about it, and i only know what the g8 is.

thanks
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 PM

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Cynical A$$hole

Quote:
The brand new Toyota Tundra has had a problem with the tailgate separating and failing. Again a very simple problem that should not happen in this day and age.
Thats not the only problem the new Tundras have been having.

Quote:
Toyota's latest quality issues could lead to a recall of the brand-new Tundra pickup.

Some owners of V-8 Tundras have reported camshaft failures in their trucks. Toyota told the Detroit News that it had logged 20 such complaints. The problem could affect as many as 30,000 Tundras built at assembly plants in Indiana and Texas.

Toyota had planned to sell 200,000 Tundras in the truck's first year as a part of an aggressive expansion plan in the United States. The company has opened a new San Antonio plant to assemble the truck; has expanded an Alabama engine plant to supply to factory; and has also started construction on plants in Ontario and Mississippi as it tries to match demand for its vehicles.

GXP #807
MSM/Onyx A6 w/Roof

Purchased: 5/29/09

Mods:
CTS Auto-Dim Mirror, Homelink in Visor, Triple Atari Gauges, Garmin Nuvi 1450, Hawk Ceramic Pads, Roto-Fab, 35% Tint, ClearBra, Video In Park, VMR V710 19's, SLP Springs, Full BMR Bushing kit, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Sways, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Adjustable End links, BP Catchcan, VG Sharkfin, LED Interior/Trunk/Glovebox Ambient Lighting, SLP Lip Spoiler, iPad Ram Mount

Last edited by PMD G8; 01-11-2008 at 09:55 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 PM

Word just in from Holden. They are turning the ship back to fix all g8's affected by the recall.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Word just in from Holden. They are turning the ship back to fix all g8's affected by the recall.
wow
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
FFD

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, however it certainly makes some people (including me) a little wary. The brand new Toyota Tundra has had a problem with the tailgate separating and failing. Again a very simple problem that should not happen in this day and age.
I don't quite see why it would make you wary. Would you prefer they ignored the problem, hid the recall by doing the work when cars were brought in for service, or proposed a suspect repair. Other manufacturers have done all three at times. If anything, I would gain confidence that GM is willing to back its products, and look after its customers.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFD View Post
I don't quite see why it would make you wary. Would you prefer they ignored the problem, hid the recall by doing the work when cars were brought in for service, or proposed a suspect repair. Other manufacturers have done all three at times. If anything, I would gain confidence that GM is willing to back its products, and look after its customers.
Well I'm usually in the minority, but IMO something as basic as a fuel filter rubbing on the body possibly causing a fuel leak is something that should have been discovered long before the car became available in any market. This is why I never buy first year model anything.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Are you serious? If so that would delay cars at least 2 months wouldn't it?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:

That seems excessive. This could be an easy fix during a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). But I guess if they are willing to go this far while to fix a problem, then that speaks volumes about how important the G8 is to Holden and GM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:37 AM

Wow!!........you guys bought that?. I was only joking because this recall got more print than it deserved. And besides........the first ship left weeks ago, it's saturday night, and I was just having some fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page