Pontiac G8 Forum banner

"Mod Friendly" CA Smog Shops?

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  sjm77 
#1 ·
After talking to some folks at the GTG this weekend, I'm realizing that I may be SOL trying to smog my car in CA after just having moved from KS. The only stock parts I still have in my garage are the airbox and mufflers.

Open to ideas...

#5 ·
Ummm...thanks?

His car wont pass visual inspection... so it doesnt even matter how far off the readings are. He needs to find a "guy" from some of the locals. Ask Yeti... he'll know someone I'm sure.
^This. yeah...am hoping someone local knows "a guy"

In the meantime, I'll keep checking some of the local salvage for the manifolds, cats and mid-muffler - see if I can talk them into selling before they core/destroy... or maybe someone on the board has their stockers laying around

#4 ·
His car wont pass visual inspection... so it doesnt even matter how far off the readings are. He needs to find a "guy" from some of the locals. Ask Yeti... he'll know someone I'm sure.

#9 ·
I'm only about 30 minutes North on hwy 70 and I'll soon have the GXP axlebacks off of my car (replacing with SOLOs that arrived today.) Not sure if that would help you get through inspection but I'm willing to help out if needed.

Also, let me know if there are any meet-ups in our area since the only G8's I see normally are the U2 chase cars and a few other military members at Beale AFB. I expect to be here until retirement and probably beyond so it would be nice to meet up with a few other G8 owners in the area!

#10 ·
I'll soon have the GXP axlebacks off ...Not sure if that would help...
Thanks, but it's really the cats that are the big issue. They have to have the OE stamp/CARB number or some other BS and be in the stock location. If I don't hear back from Ike on "a guy" who can help, I might have to take Todd up on his offer

Also, let me know if there are any meet-ups in our area since the only G8's I see normally are the U2 chase cars and a few other military members at Beale AFB. I expect to be here until retirement and probably beyond so it would be nice to meet up with a few other G8 owners in the area!
I'm always up for a weekend cruise or to connect with other enthusiasts. Check out the GTGs listed in the norcal-lsx and the norcal goats forums. There's also some cars & coffee-like events around Nor-Cal (Euro Sunday is coming up on 4/27 in Sac)...

#16 ·
in a similar boat here in norcal. want to get some LTH but not wanting to swap parts on and off everytime i smog... yeti or dblaron might have a guy for you.

#20 ·
I just was failed because of the visual inspection. The comment was that the CAI put the MAS in a non stock location. They didn't like the catch can either. At least I had the stock parts and 1 1/2 hours to re-install the parts, and then go back to pass the test.

#21 ·
Welcome to California! If I was you I'd try and put what stock parts you have left back on, airbox for sure. I've yet to start this smogging dance as my g8 is stock. My last vehicle smogged had the engine bay inspected but no underbody inspection. With any luck the tech will see your stock airbox and won't think twice. If you fail, you'll be out $45
fwiw.. California will be converting to obd2 inspections eliminating the need to put the car on rollers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.