"Mod Friendly" CA Smog Shops? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
North Western Nor CA, OR, WA, ID, MT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

"Mod Friendly" CA Smog Shops?

After talking to some folks at the GTG this weekend, I'm realizing that I may be SOL trying to smog my car in CA after just having moved from KS. The only stock parts I still have in my garage are the airbox and mufflers.

Open to ideas...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009 G8 GT Sport (MGM)
Volant CAI w/AMSOIL filter, LS7 MAF, 20" Camaro Wheels, Hankook tires, Brembos, BMR sways, Konis w/H&R springs, partially debadged, clear side markers, 6K HIDs from TRS, Kooks 1-7/8 LTH and catted mid-pipes, Magnaflow axlebacks, Pat G tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 AM

Sell your car and start over?

sarcasm
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 AM
every village has one

First of all, take it in and find out just how close you are and where the "fail" problems are.
Then post up and get some input.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
First of all, take it in and find out just how close you are and where the "fail" problems are.
Then post up and get some input.
His car wont pass visual inspection... so it doesnt even matter how far off the readings are. He needs to find a "guy" from some of the locals. Ask Yeti... he'll know someone I'm sure.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
Sell your car and start over?
Ummm...thanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5litrarag View Post
His car wont pass visual inspection... so it doesnt even matter how far off the readings are. He needs to find a "guy" from some of the locals. Ask Yeti... he'll know someone I'm sure.
^This. yeah...am hoping someone local knows "a guy"

In the meantime, I'll keep checking some of the local salvage for the manifolds, cats and mid-muffler - see if I can talk them into selling before they core/destroy... or maybe someone on the board has their stockers laying around

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009 G8 GT Sport (MGM)
Volant CAI w/AMSOIL filter, LS7 MAF, 20" Camaro Wheels, Hankook tires, Brembos, BMR sways, Konis w/H&R springs, partially debadged, clear side markers, 6K HIDs from TRS, Kooks 1-7/8 LTH and catted mid-pipes, Magnaflow axlebacks, Pat G tuned
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg8guy View Post
In the meantime, I'll keep checking some of the local salvage for the manifolds, cats and mid-muffler - see if I can talk them into selling before they core/destroy... or maybe someone on the board has their stockers laying around
I have all of my stock parts (air box, manifolds, cats, exhaust, mufflers, etc.) if you need them to swap on/off for SMOG.

-Todd...

PS - Great meeting you this past weekend, it was fun... sorry again about the detour
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 PM
every village has one

Quote:
I forgot all about the visual....but you're right about the "guy". It might even post the same specs as a Prius.
Here in Michigan, if it starts you can plate and drive it.
Not the best thing in the world when you see all the crap rolling around.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Ummm...thanks?

^This. yeah...am hoping someone local knows "a guy"

Most dismantlers or anyone for that matter can't resell cats. You'll have to rely on the kindness of locals to get a set of stock pipes.

Tinted, badges deleted

Last edited by 5litrarag; 04-09-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Replaced "can" with CAN'T
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 PM

I'm only about 30 minutes North on hwy 70 and I'll soon have the GXP axlebacks off of my car (replacing with SOLOs that arrived today.) Not sure if that would help you get through inspection but I'm willing to help out if needed.

Also, let me know if there are any meet-ups in our area since the only G8's I see normally are the U2 chase cars and a few other military members at Beale AFB. I expect to be here until retirement and probably beyond so it would be nice to meet up with a few other G8 owners in the area!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009 G8 GXP - SOLO Axlebacks and VCM OTR Intake
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousG View Post
I'll soon have the GXP axlebacks off ...Not sure if that would help...
Thanks, but it's really the cats that are the big issue. They have to have the OE stamp/CARB number or some other BS and be in the stock location. If I don't hear back from Ike on "a guy" who can help, I might have to take Todd up on his offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousG View Post
Also, let me know if there are any meet-ups in our area since the only G8's I see normally are the U2 chase cars and a few other military members at Beale AFB. I expect to be here until retirement and probably beyond so it would be nice to meet up with a few other G8 owners in the area!
I'm always up for a weekend cruise or to connect with other enthusiasts. Check out the GTGs listed in the norcal-lsx and the norcal goats forums. There's also some cars & coffee-like events around Nor-Cal (Euro Sunday is coming up on 4/27 in Sac)...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009 G8 GT Sport (MGM)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Thanks, but it's really the cats that are the big issue. They have to have the OE stamp/CARB number or some other BS and be in the stock location. If I don't hear back from Ike on "a guy" who can help, I might have to take Todd up on his offer

I'm always up for a weekend cruise or to connect with other enthusiasts. Check out the GTGs listed in the norcal-lsx and the norcal goats forums. There's also some cars & coffee-like events around Nor-Cal (Euro Sunday is coming up on 4/27 in Sac)...
Do you have a smog notice in hand yet? If so does it say that you need a "STAR" smog check?

Tinted, badges deleted

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have a smog notice in hand yet? If so does it say that you need a "STAR" smog check?
No...I'm just planning for the worst. I out of state vehicles transferring their registration need to be smogged (according to the DMV website). I thought after Jan 1, 2013, even if your notice said you needed a Gold Shield or Test Only, you still had to take it to a STAR station...

I guess I could just take it in and see what happens...seems like a waste of $, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009 G8 GT Sport (MGM)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
No...I'm just planning for the worst. I out of state vehicles transferring their registration need to be smogged (according to the DMV website). I thought after Jan 1, 2013, even if your notice said you needed a Gold Shield or Test Only, you still had to take it to a STAR station...

I guess I could just take it in and see what happens...seems like a waste of $, though.
I think they are moving to all STAR certified shops now. Thats part of the reason I asked. The other part is because I know of a guy that I use for my Mustangs but Im all the way down in So Cal and if it indeed needs a STAR test, the car would need to be brought down here and thats probably a deal breaker for you.

Tinted, badges deleted

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM

5litrarag where are you located in So Cal? I'm in San Diego. The only thing holding me back from putting on long tubes is the smog issue. If I had a "guy" I would put them on ASAP!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think they are moving to all STAR certified shops now. Thats part of the reason I asked. The other part is because I know of a guy that I use for my Mustangs but Im all the way down in So Cal and if it indeed needs a STAR test, the car would need to be brought down here and thats probably a deal breaker for you.
In some respects, I'd almost rather road trip it that far than swap parts off and back on... It's almost a wash for me at this point. I think there's one or two guys a little closer to NorCal that may be able to help...I'm trying to get connected with them.

I'll keep it in mind, though!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009 G8 GT Sport (MGM)
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Move over >

in a similar boat here in norcal. want to get some LTH but not wanting to swap parts on and off everytime i smog... yeti or dblaron might have a guy for you.

-hood vent mod
-camaro trans pan n filter
-removed engine cover
-drilled front rotorpro rotors
-tinted tails and front yak emblem
-Spare set of 19" GT rims
-custom interior trim
-rare roof rack
-smoked side markers

-New steering wheel to install
-New all black cupholders and shifter shaft to install
-Android[/COLOR] installed]
- Mobil 1 synthetic

I love my MGM G8 GT
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09G8GTMT View Post
5litrarag where are you located in So Cal? I'm in San Diego. The only thing holding me back from putting on long tubes is the smog issue. If I had a "guy" I would put them on ASAP!
Im near La Verne/Pomona area. About a mile from the raceway.
Smog shop is over in the San Fernando Valley though.

Tinted, badges deleted

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM

Garage
Looking for that friendly shop

Quote:
Im near La Verne/Pomona area. About a mile from the raceway.
Smog shop is over in the San Fernando Valley though.
I'm in the valley and just flunked visual inspection, wondering about that shop you mentioned. This is my first year SMOGing my G8 so this came as a bit of a surprise when my CAI immediately flunked. I'll swap it back, unless your shop is easier. I live in Studio City.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:55 PM
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfocused View Post
I'm in the valley and just flunked visual inspection, wondering about that shop you mentioned. This is my first year SMOGing my G8 so this came as a bit of a surprise when my CAI immediately flunked. I'll swap it back, unless your shop is easier. I live in Studio City.
If you're just running a CAI, id say to just swap that out. It will be easier and WAY cheaper.

Tinted, badges deleted

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:09 PM

I just was failed because of the visual inspection. The comment was that the CAI put the MAS in a non stock location. They didn't like the catch can either. At least I had the stock parts and 1 1/2 hours to re-install the parts, and then go back to pass the test.

09 Liquid Red GT, Red/Onyx Leather, Hacked Atari Gages, Sunroof, Vararam, Cortex 91 tune, Magnaflow, XM / Onstar and rear subframe weight delete,$20 Catch Can, BMR front and rear sway bars, full size spare in trunk, glove box and console light, rear subframe bushing inserts, radius rod bushings, Moog front and rear sway bar links, passenger seat mod. Dipstick, BMR Strut Bushings, Pace Performance Camaro Transmission Pan kit, PPV shocks/struts/springs, and FE3 shocks/struts waiting in the boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page