need some advice plz - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
North Western Nor CA, OR, WA, ID, MT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

need some advice plz

Hi, im new to the g8board. Dont even have my g8 yet. As to that is what I need some help with. Im looking at three choices of 2008 g8 gt in my reasonable area and im having trouble choosing. My criteria are simple as they are all g8 gts. All have sport/prem. Pkgs.

Option 1: private seller $24950, 20100 miles, black

Ootion 2: dealer $23850, 33000 miles, white

Option 3 dealee 21990, 59000 miles, drk grey, magnaflow muffs & grill incerts

So witch one would you get and why? If it helps my cap is 25k.

And thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:15 AM

I'd skip the black unless you LOVE to detail the car weekly...

So that leaves white and grey...
I'd offer the dealer 20k for the grey...
Better color and some mods...

Liquid Red GXP, Sun and stick !
#611 of 1829
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the quick reply. The millage didnt bother you on it? I may just do that.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 AM

Go with the black, 12,900 miles less than the white and only 1100 more. Talk the owner down by 1100 and you get it at a steal. Black is easy to keep clean if you wax it twice a month. Also, the mileage on both the white and black suggest they were babied by the owner, not a daily driver. Stay away from the grey, too many miles and the mods mean it was probably driven hard. Most folks de-mod prior to sell, so odds are it had more than a muffler. The white would not be a bad option either and they look really nice too.

2009 SRM M6 GXP- Spectre CAI, OBX LTs with Magnaflow mid, Solo axlebacks w/SLP tips, MGW shifter, Pat G Tune, Ruff Racing Staggered 20's, VG Shark Fin.

#562 of the 1829 built. #12 of 21 GXPs built in this configuration *SOLD*

Proud member of the

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 AM

I would go with the white...you'll have a better chance to negotiate with a dealer and you're getting a car with almost half the miles for only a little bit more money. Plus, white is a great color for these cars...I'm biased for a reason

2009 White Hot G8 GT, Premium, Sport, Roto-Fab, Cortex, Magnaflows, X-pipe, door dings, curb rash, backup cam
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger10t View Post
I would go with the white...you'll have a better chance to negotiate with a dealer and you're getting a car with almost half the miles for only a little bit more money. Plus, white is a great color for these cars...I'm biased for a reason
I doubt it will be easier to negotiate with the dealer versus the private seller. i've seen plenty of g8s for sell on this board and almost all of the sellers are willing to negotiate. Plus you still have TTYL with the dealer. JMHO

2009 SRM M6 GXP- Spectre CAI, OBX LTs with Magnaflow mid, Solo axlebacks w/SLP tips, MGW shifter, Pat G Tune, Ruff Racing Staggered 20's, VG Shark Fin.

Proud member of the

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Its Good To Be Tha King

Option 2: dealer $23850, 33000 miles, white

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 AM

Truthfully I"d take none of them.. Get on Autotrader and do a bit more searching. Travel a little farther for one. Get the car that YOU want the one that really excites you. I just did a search in my only local area and found several colors with various miles. If your cap is 25K, dealers may have more room to bargain with. Never hurts to really low ball a more expensive one and then negotiate to stay under your cap. You'll get a better car and less mileage and you'll be happier IMHO

Mike
09 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, Debadged Back, Holden V Flag front and back, Rad Cover, Customer License Plate frame
75 Pontiac Grandville Convert, Original,

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Actually - I'd prefer the black w/ the low mileage, HOWEVER don't let the higher mileage one scare you, if it was maintained correctly and has mostly highway miles it could actually be the one in the BEST shape. Also, be aware this car comes w/ some common gremlins and if the previous owner didn't drive it, or got rid of it when these problems started to surface rather than fixing them you could be buying someone's problems. Why do I state that? Well sir, I have 56,000 highway miles on my car and I could sell it to you today and state w/ confidence along w/ documentation that my car has NO oil leaks from the rear main engine seal or oil pan gasket - inspected and fixed, NO transmission issues - harsh 2-3 shift/flare TSB performed, NO suspension issues - all strut mounts, bushings, struts and LCA's replaced by dealer w/ new hardware, NO brake problems - calipers that get loose on some G8's repaired under warranty, rotors resurfaced, NO wheel shake - road force balance via warranty

Ask the garage queens or 2 year leases owners the same questions and see what you get...BTW these are all such common problems it seems like they're inherent in ALL G8's just depends on when the occur, luckily I'm a diligent and OCD car owner and I'm confident my car will run to 120,000 no issues.

'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

alot of the comments here have been ringing in my head for a week. I've been scouring the car sites vehix some, mostly cars.com and autotrader.com as well as tracking ebay postings. the most attractive offers i find are in texas and east coast.

Problem is getting there to test drive it. if i pay for the plane ticket to say texas and pay a dealer around 22 to 24k for a good deal ill pay taxes there and when i come back to cali to register my car. not to mention gas for the 1300 mile trip it will all put me beyond my 25k cap. while it is flexable to some extent its not THAT flexable if you know what i mean.

I think its time to really get to the dealers and start talking and dealing.

I know some tips for buying a used car like oil leeks to look out for. I will try to take a mechanic friend to the test drive/inspections.

What are some things to look at hard on a g8? Transmissions from what i been reading are a big thing what else?

thanks for the input from you all. its helping.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Go with option 2 the white G8 and try to talk them down a little.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I went to the dealer with the white car. It pulls quite a bit to the right. Even still I made an offer and the manager wouldnt budge. NEXT!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itrosnoc View Post
I went to the dealer with the white car. It pulls quite a bit to the right. Even still I made an offer and the manager wouldnt budge. NEXT!
LOL I told you the dealer isn't going to negotiate. They have to make money off the sell and they probably have it at its lowest cost already. Go for the private owner, i bet you can talk him down by at least 1100! He's probably listed it higher than what he's willing to accept.

Proud member of the

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page