1st post. Looking for a local GT near me. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
North Western Nor CA, OR, WA, ID, MT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

1st post. Looking for a local GT near me.

I had a 2003 G35 sedan. Lightly modded(springs, Koni adj, Hochkis sways, plenum, coupe forged 19s). Out in West Seattle last tuesday, I Honda CRV jumped the median and hit me head on. So that car is most certainly totalled.

Always wanted a domestic LS V8 and the G8 GT/GXP are one of the few 4 doors that are available.

Finding one in the NW is really difficult. Although beggers can't be choosers, I don't want a bright red or orange car. I've seen a burgandy GT that looks interesting. Fairly low miles 30k approx and the right price.

Anyone here have any leads or suggestions? I've checked out the for sale here and I'm not sure about traveling to get one.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Still mourning Pontiac!

I was in Seattle for the past three months; just left two weeks ago. There was a White G8 at the Chevrolet dealer in Renton at the corner of Lind and 12th. I never pulled in to look at it; but it might be worth a look. I first noticed it in early December and it was still there when I left on January 13th.

2009 White Hot G8 GT
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

I found it. It's a V6. But thanks.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Still mourning Pontiac!

Good luck in your search. I only saw 2 G8s the whole time I was in Seattle; that White one in Renton, and an MGM one day near Boeing Field.

2009 White Hot G8 GT
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Many had to drive a ways to get their cars, some 1000+. Just have to search AutoTrader, Craigslist, basically anywhere that post cars for sale. Luckily St. Louis has lots of G8s, see at least 1 a week now.

Jeff
09 GT Premium + Sport + Webasto Sunroof
20/20/5 tint + GXP Diffuser + VVME 6000K HIDs + Camaro SS 20" 245/35 & 275/30
Borla Cat-back + Roto-Fab CAI + tune(Kooks LT 1-3/4 OTW)
310rwhp 314rwtq on Mustang dyno(stock tune)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 05:47 PM

When I was looking for mine ( back in May/June/July ) I scoured most of the Northwest ( Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Nevada and Utah ) looking for the G8 that I wanted. I didn't find one that I had to have at a reasonable price. I ended up buying mine out of Indiana and having it shipped out here. It still came out to be less than if I had bought a local one.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Go: Rotofab CAI * Cortex 91 Tune

Appearance: Auto Dim Rear View Mirror * Sharkfin Antenna * Only Arrowheads * Smoked Side Marker Lights * Tinted Windows * 20" KMC Rims * Plasti-dipped Chrome * Smoked Spider Tail lights*

WTB: Homelink Visor

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. - Bullet Tooth Tony - Snatch
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 PM

What all are the specifics that you are looking for in a G8? I'm assuming at least V8, but what else ( leather, sport, premium, roof, etc.). I'd make an a list of what you have to have and a list of what you'd like. Keep that list and stick to it. If you wait and search around, you'll find what you want in your price range. There are a lot of super nice G8 GTs on here now that are going for pretty good prices, even considering shipping.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Go: Rotofab CAI * Cortex 91 Tune

Appearance: Auto Dim Rear View Mirror * Sharkfin Antenna * Only Arrowheads * Smoked Side Marker Lights * Tinted Windows * 20" KMC Rims * Plasti-dipped Chrome * Smoked Spider Tail lights*

WTB: Homelink Visor

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. - Bullet Tooth Tony - Snatch
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM

If you want a good one, most likely you will have to travel to get it. There was a stryker blue one for sale a couple of days ago with 7,700 miles that the owner was asking just under $24K on the east coast (it's now sold). Had I been in the market for a G8 GT, I would have been on the next plane to grab that one!

I went out of state to get mine and I bought it new!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTom View Post
What all are the specifics that you are looking for in a G8? I'm assuming at least V8, but what else ( leather, sport, premium, roof, etc.). I'd make an a list of what you have to have and a list of what you'd like. Keep that list and stick to it. If you wait and search around, you'll find what you want in your price range. There are a lot of super nice G8 GTs on here now that are going for pretty good prices, even considering shipping.
GT, premium and sport packages. After that, sunroof, and bluetooth. But not a deal breaker. I'm looking at the vins for that.

Colors is what looks to be limiting me. I'm not a fan of orange, the stryker blue or the sea green. Red is not me. Black, white, metallic gray, and perhaps burgandy.

Is there a way to know if the car is equipped with Sat radio from looking at the radio console? ie.. button? Same with the bluetooth. ie..icon printed somewhere?

I see alot of really nice GTs for sale here at good prices. Even modded. I just don't know anyone here and have the usually apprehension about buying a modded car. Which is sometimes illogical because I mod and don't drive like a grandma either.

Maybe someone could share their experience with buying out of state with a dealer or with a private sale.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 PM
syd

I have to pipe up and say that I have a lot of experience buying cars from out of state. My G8 is the latest one I have picked up this way. It's actually really fun and it gives you time to "bond" with the car. Worst case scenario, if it's not what the seller promised when you get there, you fly home or rent a car and drive home. That said, I've done it at least 10 times and have no regrets.

I found my GXP in New Mexico. I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. Surprised my mom and dad for Mother's Day. Drove through the Redwood forest...it was a real blast. I can't wait for the next opportunity.

If you need some cajoling, PM me. I'd be glad to help. It's nerve wracking at first and it's a big purchase but once you have exactly what you wanted (or almost exactly) it's totally worth it and the memories and pictures you keep forever!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
What Would Jesus Drive?

There was an orange one on Craigslist recently at a dealer. I was surprised, since I only know of 1 in all of Washington.

1974 Ford Bronco
Owner: Seattle SEO Pros
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
What Would Jesus Drive?

My suggestion: Wait for what you really want! I got a smoking deal when I bought my car, and still kick myself today for not waiting for the color I wanted.

1974 Ford Bronco
Owner: Seattle SEO Pros
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. It helps. It's difficult to wait too long as I'm down one car and commute everyday. I'm actually borrowing my dad's car as at his age, he doesn't use it but it's not like I can take that long. I'll probably still rent a car for the max time and then use my dad's car again. But it's not like I'd like to have the process take months.

I saw that orange one and the color is way too loud for me. I'm 44, married with a kid. haha.

There is a stock GT that's metallic burgandy one for sale. 32,000 2009. Asking is around $24k. Not my 1st choice in color but it's not a bad color.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Have you gone to look at/test drive the GT yet? I would try to spend as much time with it before you worry about expanding your search. It seems like a decent deal, esp. if you could get them down some more. Good luck!

Traded in 8-6-2012 2009 G8 GT LR W/PREMIUM PKG. AND SUNROOF VARARAM CAI, FLOWMASTER AXLEBACK, CORTEX 93 VARARAM TUNE, GXP REAR DIFFUSER, TINT, HOMELINK, OTHER ODDS AND ENDS......
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

You know what? I haven't even sat in one yet! But they have intrigued me ever since they came out. You're right, I need to drive this thing.

I read the Automobile mag compro with the G8 GT vs 550i.

Locally, everyone also wants close to MSRP on the GXPs!(ie.. $37,000-ish) WTH? Even with a deep discount, the GXP isn't in my price range. Soo tempting though.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM

I was exactly the same, always thought it looked like an awesome car. Looking at the paper one night the dealer down the road had a big, sucker ad and there it was! Told my wife how I liked it and she said yeah whatever! Next day I was out to lunch and she pulled up in it!! I guess I got a good one! Wife and car that is!!

Traded in 8-6-2012 2009 G8 GT LR W/PREMIUM PKG. AND SUNROOF VARARAM CAI, FLOWMASTER AXLEBACK, CORTEX 93 VARARAM TUNE, GXP REAR DIFFUSER, TINT, HOMELINK, OTHER ODDS AND ENDS......
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
Is there a way to know if the car is equipped with Sat radio from looking at the radio console? ie.. button? Same with the bluetooth. ie..icon printed somewhere?
Anyone want to tackle this? And do all G8GTs have Ipod connection? I understand bluetooth was a 2009.5 option.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM

I know, I "thought" mine had bluetooth because the book said so and I didn't know any better. When I push the button on the steering wheel with the little picture of a phone handset I only get onstar. Therefore I found out no bluetooth. It was only available on the 2009.5 cars, which I think would have really been 2010 cars, but GM killed Pontiac off. I don't know for sure about the sat radio, my 2009 with premium package has it, but I know there are cars without, esp. 2008 models.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
SWIFT G8

Buy my G8. Call me!

CAR SOLD 2/13/2012

G8 of the Month Winner: September 2011
G8 of the Month Winner: October 2010
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
MUSCLE Biotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
Anyone want to tackle this? And do all G8GTs have Ipod connection? I understand bluetooth was a 2009.5 option.
There is an aux jack on the head unit so yes. I didn't care about bluetooth in my 08 since I just plug my phone into the aux jack and run it that way.

97 Nissan Maxima - Engine croaked at 396K - Replacement 13,000 mile engine install and clean as hell inside
2008 White Hot G8 GT - SC 91 and Roto Tune

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Morimoto - Pennzoil Pure Plus NG Syn - Mobile 1 Filters - Harbor Freight - 3M - Spectre - Superchips Flashpaq - SuperBrightLED - Cooper Tires - Camaro SS Pan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page