Need new rotors and pads - current ones warped - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 120
Need new rotors and pads - current ones warped

Hello Everyone.. I hope you are enjoying sunshine today.. It's time for rear brakes and rotors as well I want to change my front rotors as they are definitely warped..

Can I get a recommendation from you on replacement rotors and pads that will withstand 4000+ lbs of G8 GT big sedan fury with no rotor warping.

Thanks
Booyeah
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Booyeah2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
johnnyservice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyeah2010 View Post
Hello Everyone.. I hope you are enjoying sunshine today.. It's time for rear brakes and rotors as well I want to change my front rotors as they are definitely warped..

Can I get a recommendation from you on replacement rotors and pads that will withstand 4000+ lbs of G8 GT big sedan fury with no rotor warping.

Thanks
Booyeah
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Before I swapped to the CTS-V setup, I ran the DBA T4300 Clubspec rotors (slotted, not drilled). They held up to some abuse.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk



2009.1 GT
Liquid Red
Premium and Sport Pkgs. with sunroof
LS3 cam DOD delete
Roto-Fab CAI
GXP Axle-backs, Bumper & Diffuser
SOLO Cats; X-pipe mid-muffler delete
CTS-V2 Brakes, Hawk HPS pads, Russell Braided Steel Lines
Koni Yellows and Tein Greens
Holden badges
V6 Tails
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Factory bluetooth conversion
Trailblazer mirror upgrade
Bremmer Kraft BR05 rims 19x9 matte black w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/19 square
Custom Holden center caps

Pat G Tune 371 RWHP 360 RWTQ
johnnyservice is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyservice View Post
Before I swapped to the CTS-V setup, I ran the DBA T4300 Clubspec rotors (slotted, not drilled). They held up to some abuse.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hello, thanks for responding..

I am interested in knowing more about that cts-v setup? Did you install yourself or get installed? I'm open to a great solution that stops the rotor warp and improves braking..

Thanks
Booyeah2010 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
johnnyservice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyeah2010 View Post
Hello, thanks for responding..

I am interested in knowing more about that cts-v setup? Did you install yourself or get installed? I'm open to a great solution that stops the rotor warp and improves braking..

Thanks
There's a thread in the brakes section somewhere listing all the part numbers but it goes like this:

6 piston CTS-V calipers up front
CTS-V or ZL1 front rotors
4 piston CTS-V calipers in rear
Rear rotors from 2015+ Chevy SS
Hawk HPS pads all around
Hardware and pin kits etc.

Bill at Nurse did the installation.

I bought calipers and front rotors used off a CTS-V forum. Bought the rear rotors from GM (I think Rockauto carries them)

A significant improvement. Like really significant.



Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk



2009.1 GT
Liquid Red
Premium and Sport Pkgs. with sunroof
LS3 cam DOD delete
Roto-Fab CAI
GXP Axle-backs, Bumper & Diffuser
SOLO Cats; X-pipe mid-muffler delete
CTS-V2 Brakes, Hawk HPS pads, Russell Braided Steel Lines
Koni Yellows and Tein Greens
Holden badges
V6 Tails
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Factory bluetooth conversion
Trailblazer mirror upgrade
Bremmer Kraft BR05 rims 19x9 matte black w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/19 square
Custom Holden center caps

Pat G Tune 371 RWHP 360 RWTQ
johnnyservice is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
BigZub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 774
I purchase all my brake kits from Brake Performance. Slotted and dimpled rotors carry a lifetime warranty against warping and cracking. They send pads with the kits, but I usually buy Hawk pads for the fronts.

'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
LS3, with LSA Blower, ACE ported heads, BTR springs and retainers, Straub trunnion upgrade, RCR cam, Kooks LTs/mids, Hooker SS MaxFlow mufflers.
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizers, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links/trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time, then- 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
llirremmada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 181
I ran brake performance premium rotors with hawk hps with stock calipers and the same with my 6 piston cts-v set up. I don't do autocross bit for aggressive street setup it's perfect.
BigZub likes this.
llirremmada is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton GA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyeah2010 View Post
Hello Everyone.. I hope you are enjoying sunshine today.. It's time for rear brakes and rotors as well I want to change my front rotors as they are definitely warped..

Can I get a recommendation from you on replacement rotors and pads that will withstand 4000+ lbs of G8 GT big sedan fury with no rotor warping.

Thanks
Booyeah
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Rotors do not typically "warp". They achieve a condition called Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) - whether by a buildup of pad material, or development of hard spots (metallurgically) that allow greater wear on different parts of the rotor, DTV is what causes the brake judder, pulsating pedal, jerky feeling during braking--how ever you may choose to describe it.

To do the Brembo brake (355mm front rotor) conversion, different wheels are required.

There are other options, not much talked about here. The GT uses a 321mm front rotor. The Chevy Caprice PPV uses a 345mm rotor, and it fits behind 18" wheels. The standard caliper is a cast-iron single-piston unit, but there is a cast-iron twin-piston caliper from Cadillac CTS V6 (RPO J55) also using the same 345mm rotor, or it's been recently discovered that there is a Brembo 4-piston aluminum caliper (Cadillac J56) from the Alpha platform that works with a 345mm rotor and will fit on Zeta sedans (G8 & PPV), even though the specifics are not entirely clear--the Zeta & Alpha rotor offsets are different, and in this case, the rotor must be the part used on PPV & earlier CTS.

At this point, I do not have an answer as far as whether the Brembo/345 rotor setup fits inside an 18" wheel, but I'm a betting man, and I suspect it will fit behind the G8 18x8 wheel. FWIW, the Brembo/355 setup fits and clears behind the PPV steel 18x8 wheel.

Rotor size/mass is the issue--the GT's 321mm rotor is not ideal. The PPV 345mm rotor is 30mm thick, the 355mm rotor is 32mm thick, and wheel fit becomes a challenge. Corresponding calipers to match rotor diameter & thickness are essential.

One last thing to consider--rotor runout must be minimized. Living in a northern climate, there is greater likelihood that rust formation on the wheel hub/flange and between flange & rotor is a contributor to what is happening with the rotors. Essential to check and zero-out any issues with this area.

Bill Harper
[email protected]
inov8rPPV is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Florida
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by inov8rPPV View Post
Rotors do not typically "warp". They achieve a condition called Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) - whether by a buildup of pad material, or development of hard spots (metallurgically) that allow greater wear on different parts of the rotor, DTV is what causes the brake judder, pulsating pedal, jerky feeling during braking--how ever you may choose to describe it.

To do the Brembo brake (355mm front rotor) conversion, different wheels are required.

There are other options, not much talked about here. The GT uses a 321mm front rotor. The Chevy Caprice PPV uses a 345mm rotor, and it fits behind 18" wheels. The standard caliper is a cast-iron single-piston unit, but there is a cast-iron twin-piston caliper from Cadillac CTS V6 (RPO J55) also using the same 345mm rotor, or it's been recently discovered that there is a Brembo 4-piston aluminum caliper (Cadillac J56) from the Alpha platform that works with a 345mm rotor and will fit on Zeta sedans (G8 & PPV), even though the specifics are not entirely clear--the Zeta & Alpha rotor offsets are different, and in this case, the rotor must be the part used on PPV & earlier CTS.

At this point, I do not have an answer as far as whether the Brembo/345 rotor setup fits inside an 18" wheel, but I'm a betting man, and I suspect it will fit behind the G8 18x8 wheel. FWIW, the Brembo/355 setup fits and clears behind the PPV steel 18x8 wheel.

Rotor size/mass is the issue--the GT's 321mm rotor is not ideal. The PPV 345mm rotor is 30mm thick, the 355mm rotor is 32mm thick, and wheel fit becomes a challenge. Corresponding calipers to match rotor diameter & thickness are essential.

One last thing to consider--rotor runout must be minimized. Living in a northern climate, there is greater likelihood that rust formation on the wheel hub/flange and between flange & rotor is a contributor to what is happening with the rotors. Essential to check and zero-out any issues with this area.
Bill, that's pretty interesting information. Can you give any more info about the J56 Brembo 4 piston calipers? Like what year and model to look for?

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
buzzard302 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Atuzzo104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 24
Garage
The G8 lineup had weight distributed braking, meaning that the cars computer would transfer braking percentages to the front and rear depending on the weight distributed throughout the car and how hard you are braking. While the OEM pads put on from GM were very good brakes and stopped the car athletically given its 4000-pound curb weight, they were known to wear and warp with very few miles. I do all of my own work on all of my vehicles, and I strictly use a website called CarID. They not only have every performance category of brakes, it has every car option you could ever think of. They will offer a wide variety of brakes for the G8, from your Duralast setup all the way to 4 piston Wilwood and Brembo slotted and drilled setup. It all depends on what you want to spend.

https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKCAj...hoCy_YQAvD_BwE
Atuzzo104 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton GA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard302 View Post
Bill, that's pretty interesting information. Can you give any more info about the J56 Brembo 4 piston calipers? Like what year and model to look for?
Here's a capture of ongoing discussion on a Caprice PPV Forum on Facebook...still waiting to see if the PN's for the calipers from that discussion (using a 6th Gen Camaro upgrade kit) can be confirmed. I use Rock Auto as a search/reference, but still need to talk to the dealer to see if I can learn more.

"The current CTS uses a 345mm rotor that is common with Gen6 Camaro, with the RPO J56. RPO J55 is a 321mm rotor. In similar fashion to the brake kit that Scott purchased, it shows that the J56 spec for CTS uses what appears to be a Brembo caliper, as shown here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6113247... "

"part above is left side, priced at $153.79, with no core (looks like this is incorrect)--translates to GM 22796239 or 84089036--I'd have to research the other side at a dealer. The Camaro equivalent is not easy to deduce from the info at Rock Auto, but the Gen6 Camaro SS does list the same (size) 345mm rotor with brake RPO J6G and Brembo calipers."


GM 84089036 caliper

To be clear--re-stating earlier comments--these 6th gen calipers for 345mm rotors will work on G8 & PPV, but the rotor is the part used on PPV, NOT what is used on 2016 & newer Camaros.

A PPV owner has acquired this kit, and reports that the calipers in the kit fit on the PPV 345mm rotors. Details and photos still to come, hopefully. For G8 owners, the one thing that would have to be done is to enlarge the holes on the front knuckle/upright for the larger (14mm) bolts that secure the calipers. PN's for bolts TBD at this point. Hoses in the kit probably will not work, but my experience with PPV, G8 and SS tells me that it's likely the stock hoses or the Russell G8 hose kit should work.

The upgrade kit may be the cheapest way to get the calipers, since it sells for about $400, and includes calipers, rotors, hoses, and fasteners. PN is 23245470 - the rotors alone (one-piece, not two-piece as shown is some listings) sell for more than the complete kit--about $325 each!

Link to kit (when viewing this listing, click on photo on the right of the 3 shown for the correct kit with one-piece rotors)

Correct illustration

PRODUCT DETAILS

Other Names: Parts Pkg, Brake Upgrade Kit, Brembo 4 Piston Front

Description:
Brembo(R) Performance Front Brake Package (Four-Piston Calipers, Camaro LS/LT)

True stopping power! The Chevrolet Performance front brake system features Brembo(R) four-piston aluminum calipers with performance brake pads and 13.6-inch x 1.2-inch (345mm x 30mm) vented and slotted Duralife(TM) rotors - the same size as the Camaro SS! The Duralife(TM) rotors feature a hardened surface to reduce corrosion and provide quieter braking with less vibration. The kit is a direct replacement for the original front brakes and includes low-expansion front brake hoses, all necessary hardware and installation instructions. It is available for Gen 6 Camaro LS/LT models equipped with the 2.0L Turbo or 3.6L V-6 engines.

Some searches for this kit say DISCONTINUED but we're checking into that.

Bill Harper
[email protected]
inov8rPPV is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 186
I bought my set of 4 from brakemotive76 on ebay just over a year ago and have zero issues.
Excelsior is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
BigZub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by inov8rPPV View Post
Rotors do not typically "warp". They achieve a condition called Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) - whether by a buildup of pad material, or development of hard spots (metallurgically) that allow greater wear on different parts of the rotor, DTV is what causes the brake judder, pulsating pedal, jerky feeling during braking--how ever you may choose to describe it.
I've had this discussion many times over the years, and I'm certain your experiences and knowledge lead you to what you are saying - but - having turned literally thousands of rotors over the years on some pretty good brake lathes, always cautious about rust and buildup on the rotor to ensure it was seated properly on the machine, I can honestly say that MY experience was that rotors do indeed warp, and more often than the other issues you describe.

Obviously, the larger the rotor, in both diameter and thickness, the less likely it is to actually warp. Our cars, especially those with Brembos and the larger rotors, are much less susceptible to it, but it does happen, and often, mostly because the majority of the motoring public don't take care of their cars until they absolutely have to, or a mandated inspection won't pass a car without replacing the brakes.

I currently operate a fleet of 6 GMC Sierra 1500 trucks, whose main job is to pull 6500# trailers across country to cover live television events. The truck with the most mileage has just over 48,000 miles on it, and the brakes on the truck are still in amazingly good shape, with about 50% of the front pads left. GM finally got the brakes right on these vehicles. I had 4 different large SUVs from them, and had to replace brake pads AND rotors, within 40k miles on every one of them. Every time I went to turn the rotors, they were warped, and took at least two passes to clean up.

I'm certain brakes have gotten much better over the years, and warpage may be less common.

Carry on....

'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
LS3, with LSA Blower, ACE ported heads, BTR springs and retainers, Straub trunnion upgrade, RCR cam, Kooks LTs/mids, Hooker SS MaxFlow mufflers.
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizers, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links/trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time, then- 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
BAS G8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,857
FWIW, the influx of cheap/inferior rotors, and other parts for that matter, out of Asia has a lot to do with these problems.
The owners on this board take pride in ownership of they're G8's and are willing to spend the money on quality parts.
The vast majority of drivers see fixing cars with quality parts an unneeded liability and will toss the cheapest crap available on there cars just to keep it moving on down the road.
I went with AC Delco Profession front pads and rotors from the dealer.
My son and I, well, mostly my son, did do the install in the driveway.
Car stops extremely well, no noise and very minimal dust. For the record my G8 is a V6 and I'm not the nut I used to be.
Have toyed with the CTS-V Brembo upgrade but that's it.
BAS G8 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Florida
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZub View Post
I've had this discussion many times over the years, and I'm certain your experiences and knowledge lead you to what you are saying - but - having turned literally thousands of rotors over the years on some pretty good brake lathes, always cautious about rust and buildup on the rotor to ensure it was seated properly on the machine, I can honestly say that MY experience was that rotors do indeed warp, and more often than the other issues you describe.

Obviously, the larger the rotor, in both diameter and thickness, the less likely it is to actually warp. Our cars, especially those with Brembos and the larger rotors, are much less susceptible to it, but it does happen, and often, mostly because the majority of the motoring public don't take care of their cars until they absolutely have to, or a mandated inspection won't pass a car without replacing the brakes.

I currently operate a fleet of 6 GMC Sierra 1500 trucks, whose main job is to pull 6500# trailers across country to cover live television events. The truck with the most mileage has just over 48,000 miles on it, and the brakes on the truck are still in amazingly good shape, with about 50% of the front pads left. GM finally got the brakes right on these vehicles. I had 4 different large SUVs from them, and had to replace brake pads AND rotors, within 40k miles on every one of them. Every time I went to turn the rotors, they were warped, and took at least two passes to clean up.

I'm certain brakes have gotten much better over the years, and warpage may be less common.

Carry on....
Same experience. 20 years ago I did a lot of brakes and we used to turn rotors on the lathe. Runout was measurable and obvious, and we took time to chuck them up true on the lathe. These days, rotors have become cheap to buy, so they are usually just replaced rather than turned. When the internet come about, a big brake company posted some tech information on the web saying that rotors do not warp, and the runout was all from uneven pad deposits. It has been propagated as gospel ever since. I've turned rotors big and small, and I'm not sure I believe the pad deposit only explanation.
BigZub likes this.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
buzzard302 is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Marlborough, MA
Posts: 332
Subbed for info on the 345 mm / J56 Brembo caliper kit. If they clear the GT 18" wheels I would buy in a second. Keep the info coming Bill!

2009 SRM G8 GT, GMPP CNC heads milled .035", RCR backcut intake valves, RCR Lunati 219/223 .612/.615 112+1, PSI 1511ML springs, Ti retainers, BTR 7.375 pushrods, Straub trunion bushings, RCR Airram intake, IWIS chain, Melling hi-vol hi-pressure oil pump, oil bypass blockoff, LS7 MAF in Spectre 4", Blox velocity stack, Rotofab, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks catted X, Hooker Maxflow axlebacks. 426/383.
jgeorger is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton GA
Posts: 201
update to Post #10

A caveat to this information--fitment has NOT yet been fully validated. That being the case, I DO NOT recommend buying parts yet--update as soon as more is confirmed.

A Caprice PPV owner (Zeta sedan, closest in configuration to G8) is presently in the process of doing this conversion. From everything he has revealed so far, this parts combination appears to work.

Un-resolved at present: hose fitment, confirming clearance on 18" G8 OE wheels without spacers

The Cadillac CTS calipers listed below are the lowest-cost path to this conversion. The one fitment requirement, as previously noted, will be the need to enlarge the holes on the knuckle of the G8 to permit use of the 14mm bolts, which are now sized for 12mm bolts.

Otherwise, it should be a totally bolt-on setup--one POSSIBLE additional thing to check and correct will be inner splash shield clearance, and minor trimming of the shield may be needed--or the shields CAN be removed.

Likely most considering this conversion would opt to refinish the calipers in some manner to a brighter finish and/or to get rid of the Cadillac logo.

NOTE: the red calipers in the GM kit mentioned in Post #10 have a Chevrolet logo, so I don't recommend them as a source--cost will be greater than using calipers listed below, since the rotors in that kit are not compatible with Zeta knuckles.

Cadillac CTS J56 calipers (painted gray with Cadillac script logo) - for use specifically with 345mm rotors
- from GM Parts Direct:
GM 84089036 - Left - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...liper-84089036 ($148.11)

GM 84133555 - Right - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...liper-84133555 ($148.11)

Rotor:
GM 92260109 - OE 345mm rotor for PPV https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...447573&jsn=482
There are a multitude of alternate sources for this rotor - Centric, ACDelco, DBA, and many others

Pads: (Rock Auto info)
- FMSI D1474 spec (with pad dampers) - GM 23441307 or equivalent https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...435898&jsn=772
- option is to use FMSI D1001 spec pad (without pad dampers)
need to verify wheel clearance to pad dampers if using 18" wheels

Pin kit: (GM Parts Direct info)
GM 22813180 - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...e-kit-22813180 or equivalent--many aftermarket sources, with pad kits or separately

Caliper mounting bolts:
GM 11611085 (M14x2.0x45) - listed for 16-18 Camaro, other bolts available for Zeta applications may be more appropriate

Bill Harper
[email protected]
inov8rPPV is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by inov8rPPV View Post
Rotors do not typically "warp". They achieve a condition called Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) - whether by a buildup of pad material, or development of hard spots (metallurgically) that allow greater wear on different parts of the rotor, DTV is what causes the brake judder, pulsating pedal, jerky feeling during braking--how ever you may choose to describe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZub View Post
I've had this discussion many times over the years, and I'm certain your experiences and knowledge lead you to what you are saying - but - having turned literally thousands of rotors over the years on some pretty good brake lathes, always cautious about rust and buildup on the rotor to ensure it was seated properly on the machine, I can honestly say that MY experience was that rotors do indeed warp, and more often than the other issues you describe...
Be it DTV (disc thickness variation) or warping discovered it's much cheaper and convenient to purchase new rotors than to turn/machine the old ones. Majority of the rotors I come across hail from China and believe the saying is six in one hand and half a dozen in the other as it pertains to entry-level brake rotor quality. Over the years, have tried various brands including Bendix, Raybestos, AcDelco and Wagner with varying levels of satisfaction.

#AUDACITY OF HOPE
#NAYSAYERS = MOTIVATION
#DON'T PATRONIZE ELITISTS

"Pregame...too early. Postgame...too late. Final score...all that matters". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton GA
Posts: 201
345/Brembo fitment validated!

Here are a couple of photos showing the Gen6 Camaro red calipers from the kit mentioned above (GM 23245470) marked with Chevrolet/Brembo logos - posting this only to demonstrate that the parts combination detailed above works. The installation was performed on a Caprice PPV.

DO NOT go out and buy the kit 23245470 - the rotors are not correct for G8 or PPV, and it's a waste of money unless you happen to have a Gen6 Camaro SS.

The rotors in the photos are aftermarket Raybestos R-300 spec, with a unique slotting pattern. The rotor that works for this package is for the 2011-2017 Caprice PPV--there are MANY different options to choose from. They will direct-fit to G8.

Again, to reiterate, the calipers for this upgrade mount with 14mm bolts, and it will be necessary to enlarge the caliper mount holes on the G8 knuckles from 12mm to 14mm, just as is required when using the 10-15 Camaro or SS sedan front calipers (with 355mm rotors).

For complete clarity, these calipers work ONLY with 345mm rotors--they will NOT fit the 355mm rotors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 345 Brembo1.jpg (62.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 345 Brembo2.jpg (38.2 KB, 77 views)

Bill Harper
[email protected]
inov8rPPV is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Belo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,030
On my second set of centric slotted rotors and hawk ceramic pads. Not very dusty and a little noisy as they're aggressive. But no rust and exceptional performance for not needing to update any calipers or lines. Check out autoanything to see what i'm referring to.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
Belo is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Service Tech Approved!
 
oxbcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 532
Garage
I have the same slotted centric (stoptech) rotors and hawk pads and I wish I had something else. They dust like crazy for Ceramic pads.
oxbcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome