Camshaft and DoD Delete DIY Guide! - Page 6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Technical Articles & DIY Information only forum, no general posting

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Question for you Bob... Did you just order the livernois stage 1 non-DOD mail-order cam package? Where did all your parts come from? Im going to do the swap this winter while the snow is HEAVY up here in Calgary, Canada lol. You're write up will prove extremely valuable.

2009 White Hot GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 AM

wish i had any experience with doing something this large scale. i wish i could trade some of my computer nerd knowledge for mechanical knowledge haha

2009 Panther Black G8 GT
custom intake piping to stock airbox and filter
solo axle back+Tune
[email protected] 1.960ft <--Pre dyno
330rwhp/341tq (first pull on dyno)
current 340/350 After tuning on the Dyno
================
2001 Trans am-Sold
2009 Nissan 370z-Sold
post #103 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 PM
just tryin to make it....

How did you route all of your pcv stuff? I blocked off the drivers side valve cover and ran the u shaped hose from the valley cover to the intake and then from the passenger side vent hose to my cai, is this right?

post #104 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Submarine Simeon

i honestly cant remember what i did with the PCV ports. That was so long ago. I could go out and take a look.

Glad to see this thread is still alive If anyone ever has questions about this install, feel free to PM me and i'll try to answer them for you! I might get back to you faster that way.

2008 C6 4LT Convertible
2006 GMC Yukon Denali
2009 G8 GT (SOLD!)

post #105 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Great writeup. Too bad your print friendly link on page 4 doesn't work any longer.
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM

Great write up!!! I have a question though, how much does your mpg change after doing the DoD delete? I guess some has to do with the size cam you end up putting in, but a ball park figure would be?
post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 AM
BigCasnio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR View Post
Great write up!!! I have a question though, how much does your mpg change after doing the DoD delete? I guess some has to do with the size cam you end up putting in, but a ball park figure would be?

A friend of mine who is on this board, I can't remember his handle, Daniel is his name. Anyway, he installed the Livernois package and said he lost 2 mpg.

I'm contemplating doing this. It sucks being laid off though. I've been unemployed for over a year, so something like this is not even in sight for me. I've been dealing with a ticking/rattling issue while DOD is engaged, its awful sounding. The dealer listened to it, so they are aware. They re-flashed the engine code as he said there were some updates, that didn't do anything. I'll need to wait until next week when the head service man is back from vaca. I'm just very afraid that they will have to replace some lifters. I'd feel better if I could do it myself, that way if I mess up I won't feel as bad. We'll see what happens.

2009.1 Pontiac G8GT PBM
FE3 w/ H&R Springs
Spectre Intake w/ Custom HSRK
X-pipe & GXP Axle-backs
Polk Audio DXi650 Coaxial in all doors
Kicker CVT 8s
GT Mat 50mm Sound Deadener
Paddle Shifters
Costar Bluestar
Maverick Man HIDs 4300K w/ Amperite Delay Timer
Custom interior LED lighting
GXP Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper Swap
GXP Wheel, Aluminum Pedals and Premium shift knob
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM

Been working a friends g8 on a cam swap...couple of hints for you guys, minor stuff to save you time.

There is a ground on the back of these lsx motors on the driver side head. Take some time to solder a little extra wire to extend it to the front of the head. This will save you time and tears next time you have to pull the heads.

There is also a couple of harness clips that go into the back of the heads, they twist out, do not pull them out or you'll probably break them.

Had to drop the oil pan 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch, it made taking the oil pickup tube off and on a lot easier.

Another thing is to make sure you don't tear the o-ring on the oil pick up tube otherwise you will not get full oil pressure.

Don't forget to have a universal puller for your crank or you'll have to make an extra trip to autozone to rent one.

Crank bolt is TTY and so is the cam bolt.

Make sure you don't lose the 4 dowels that go into the block where the heads meet.

-VCM intake, DT headers, Solo Axleback, Pat G tune, [email protected] and 365rwhp/370rwtq
-Avant Garde M310 20x8.5 and 20x10 milled to +40, 245/35/20 and 275/30/20, H&R springs, Koni inserts and shocks, Neondial corners, Painted gloss black roof, Painted Matte black bumper and grill inserts
post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Submarine Simeon

Quote:
Another thing is to make sure you don't tear the o-ring on the oil pick up tube otherwise you will not get full oil pressure
or worse, you will inject air into your oil and will destroy your engine.

oh, and i'm averaging 15mpg with the non-dod cam. I lost WAY more than 2 mpg. Altho, on the highway i can get about 23-25mpg

2008 C6 4LT Convertible
2006 GMC Yukon Denali
2009 G8 GT (SOLD!)

post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 AM

Sorry to ask but you took of the front bumper correct?
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Has anyone got a copy of this with the photos?
I know photo bucket is holding everyone's pictures hostage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheMonkee View Post
So, i've been asked by several people to write up somewhat of a DIY for how i did my Cam install. So, here is a general sequence of events and some pictures to hopefully help anyone that would like to install their own aftermarket camshaft and or do the DoD delete with it.

If anyone has any input that may help or if you notice something that i may have overlooked, please feel free to let me know and i will amend the DIY as necessary. Also, depending on interest, i may add to this DIY and be a bit more specific in some areas.

1. Remove Rotofab (or stock intake).

2. Drain coolant and remove radiator. Didnt take many pics of this, as it wasnt that exciting. Getting the radiator out was kind of a pain to do alone, as the bottom mounts actually sit under the AC condenser, so you have to lift the AC condenser up and then slide the radiator out and up...Here are the pics of the radiator removal and coolant drain:

Block cooling outlet hose:

Both block hoses removed:

Just before radiator removal:

3. Remove fuel rail/intake manifold assembly. All PCV hoses will need to be disconnected before you can remove the intake manifold. The only hickup i had here was not having the fuel line disconnect tool. Its a 3/8" fuel line disconnect used by ford and GM...readily available at any autoparts store. Also, its important to ensure the engine is COLD before removing the intake manifold. The stock bolts SUCK HARD and are very ductile when hot...thus prone to braking. So, removing and installing the bolts cold is the best idea. Now is also a good time to remove both drive belts. Pics of intake manifold removal:

post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 AM

This is very helpfuk guide I plan on doing my DoD delete this summer this will help a lot, my only issue is that I can no longer see any of the uploaded photos of the job, is it anyway to see them? (I’m a very visual learner)

ApacheG8
post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Nice write up! Very helpful !
post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:35 AM

Starting my DOD delete in the morning! Very excited! Just wanted to know if I can get away with leaving the bumper cover on to yank the cam?. I know the rad and condenser has to removed/moved. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page