Free Hood Vent Mod - No Cuts or Tools Required - Page 6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Technical Articles & DIY Information only forum, no general posting

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Maybe the extra power allows for the AFM to be engaged longer since the same power comes from a lesser throttle percentage. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvHigh View Post
I have never really understood the physics behind this. More air permits more gas to maintain the same mixture. More gas = more boom = more power. I don't see how adding in more air, whether by adding a CAI, or hood cut out, or whatever, to achieve a bigger explosion, can in any way improve fuel economy. The hypermiler guys who tune their little 4-bangers for max MPG actually prefer hot air in the intake and MORE restrictive intake boxes so there will be less air and less gas.

Maybe I'm just dense... but can someone explain this to me?? How is getting more power and spark in the combustion chamber supposed to improve your MPG?
The easier it is for an engine to make power, the more efficient it is. An engine that makes more torque/power at a specific RPM than another engine of similar displacement will be more efficient - it can move the same weight with less effort.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the hood vents though. The hood vents have nothing to do with the intake. They only give hot engine bay air a route to escape, as they're in a negative pressure zone and therefore have no "ram air" effect.

Also, mr_didgers has already discussed that in practical terms, CAIs have no effect on everyday closed throttle fuel mileage. Under closed loop conditions the ECM will adjust the throttle opening based on MAF readings in order to only allow the specific amount of air that will maintain the stoichiometric ratio of fuel/air. If a CAI allows more air through, then the MAF will detect this and the throttle body will close more to compensate. It is only under open loop conditions (WOT), where the ECM switches to fuel tables rather than MAF and O2 sensor readings, that the CAI is allowed to shine.

'09 MSM G8 GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - since 9/18/08
Performance: Roto-Fab CAI; Corsa catback; VMS Tune; DBA 4000 slotted discs; Hawks Performance Ceramic pads
Interior: SAS/GTPprix Digital Gauges; Interior trim by CAA; Homelink-visor; Blendmount/Invisicord mounted V1/Dashhawk
Exterior: 3M 20% CS Tint; TSS custom darts; splash guards; Roto-Fab engine bay; Klearz sidemarkers; Spencers 5000k lows/3000k fogs
Misc.: Billet Prototypes catch can; full V-LEDs LED swap

Last edited by rez0nance; 08-31-2010 at 08:54 AM.
post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavine View Post
Maybe the extra power allows for the AFM to be engaged longer since the same power comes from a lesser throttle percentage. Just a thought.
That is a good thought. Between the cooler air and lessened restriction, the throttle shouldn't need to be as far open while cruising, and it should stay in the range for AFM to activate more often. Hmm...

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM

Did this last night while I was double checking the clamps on the RamJet. As soon as I got to work I put my hand right by the vent and could feel a nice amount of heat coming out. Thanks for the writeup!
post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts88yj View Post
As soon as I got to work I put my hand right by the vent and could feel a nice amount of heat coming out. Thanks for the writeup!
Nice! This may move up the "to-do" list.

2008 GT: Roto-Fab, Cortex, Corsa. Just a little slice of heaven!

Stock 18's with Dunlop Wintersport M3's available. PM for details!
post #106 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 AM

Awesome write up I just completed this mod in no more than 15min...I’ve got a 25min commute to work so I’ll see how hot the engine bay is after driving...has anyone noticed cooler temps on any of the gauges through the software screen on the information center?

ApacheG8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page