• 1 Post By ebg8gt
  • 1 Post By GXP25
  • 1 Post By ebg8gt
  • 1 Post By STAGEUP
  • 1 Post By MGMGXP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Engine is Coming Out... Again

I now have ~7000 miles on my car since DOD-delete and such, and about a 1.5 weeks ago, I started getting a less-than-nice noise from my engine. Sounded lifter-ish, or other related ticking. Continued getting a bit worse, and was more noticeable once the oil was hot.

Jump to 2 nights ago, I'm replacing my spark plugs (different story), and while I'm there I decide to pop the valve covers off to start investigating said noise. Driver's side is perfect. Nice and clean, rockers all in place, springs look good. Go to passenger side. Looks about the same, but then... see attached pics... one of my trunnion snap rings is in many pieces. Ended up finding one more piece like the 2 in the pic, but it's only enough to account for about 1/6th of a snap ring.

So yeah, going to pull the engine out of the car in the next week or so, and figure out where the rest of that snap ring wound up. More to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190505_184801.jpg (108.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190505_184747.jpg (131.4 KB, 59 views)

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
DOD-delete, , Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Engine is out. Found some more snap ring in the oil pan (see attached pic). So found about 3/4 of the snap ring. My best guess on the failure is that the bearing wasn't quite pressed into the rocker all the way, and therefore caused the snap ring to rub on the trunnion and weaken it. You can see a small groove on the inner edge of the bigger piece of snap ring. And that bearing is slightly proud of the rocker body. Oh well...

Engine is headed to the machine shop on Friday for a bottom end rebuild. Still not 100% sure what was going on, but I contemplated a full rebuild when I did my DOD-delete. Either way, it will all be fresh and some parts changed/upgraded. Going to switch from Delphi LS7 lifters to Johnson 2110's. Also changing the cam, water pump, and balancer to parts that are made for a certain belt driven intake manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190512_005329.jpg (114.9 KB, 33 views)
BigDaddy likes this.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
DOD-delete, , Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Way to make some lemonade from your lemons. I'm contemplating changing my cam also, but sure is a slippery slope..

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
Way to make some lemonade from your lemons. I'm contemplating changing my cam also, but sure is a slippery slope..
I hope so. Could be rotten lemons. haha

Why the change?

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Also changing the cam, water pump, and balancer to parts that are made for a certain belt driven intake manifold.
Probably a good time while it's all out.
ebg8gt likes this.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Probably a good time while it's all out.
LSA was my goal when I did the DOD-delete, which is why I went with the ZL1 converter, and a few other things. However, I ended up getting away from that goal as things progressed. Now it's real. haha

Talked to the machine shop this morning. He convinced me to get a set of forged pistons. May get rods too. Any recommendation from anyone? Currently looking at Wiseco flat tops and K1 rods. Didn't really plan to build an engine this month, so bang-for-buck is a big consideration.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I hope so. Could be rotten lemons. haha

Why the change?
I currently run the LPE GT9 cam. It's pretty rough on the valve train. Plus it isn't really optimised for twin turbos. I'd like to have something speced for my combo, taking into account a converter I would do at the same time.

For rods, I beam > H beam.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha. Makes sense. I knew you had talked about doing a converter. Might as well do the cam too, and get that 9. Although, I'm guessing a converter would get you there.

Noted on the rods. Thanks

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 AM

Crap...what trunnion kit were you using? Greg mentioned that I should pull my valve covers and check mine since I've been having a little extra valvetrain noise. My noise hasn't gotten any worse in the month or so that I've been hearing it and I drive my car almost daily.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDBPR View Post
Crap...what trunnion kit were you using? Greg mentioned that I should pull my valve covers and check mine since I've been having a little extra valvetrain noise. My noise hasn't gotten any worse in the month or so that I've been hearing it and I drive my car almost daily.
BTR v1 kit. As I've investigated more, it does look like install error, with the bearing not seating in the rocker far enough. So can't blame the product. My machinist is really curious about it too, he asked me to bring it in for him to "do an autopsy". So we'll see what he has to say as well. Hoping I can just replace the one, and roll with the rest. I'm just glad I found it before it decided to blow the bearing out, there was nothing to stop it.

Edit/Note: The rocker bolts were all still perfectly torqued down, so that's a win for that kit and bolt design. I was somewhat expecting a loose rocker.

I always had more noise than I thought it should, and particularly in the last couple weeks before pulling it apart. Some of it was exhaust leaks, but the latest noise was right after having the exhaust fixed, so who knows. My fear is... I did an oil change which may have moved some of the chunks around in the oil pan. It wasn't long after that, that I started getting more noise.

I ordered new cam and Johnson 2110 lifters last night. Machine shop is going to do the pushrod/lifter preload measuring, so I'm confident any noises will be appropriate noises. lol
executor999 likes this.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning

Last edited by ebg8gt; 05-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 AM

What machine shop are you using?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What machine shop are you using?
Rockville Ring and Bearing. Doug, the owner, is a great guy and builds some incredible stuff.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I currently run the LPE GT9 cam. It's pretty rough on the valve train. Plus it isn't really optimised for twin turbos.

I love the GT9 in a PDS setup. Its got a nasty ramp rate, but I have never personally seen any valvetrain failure with it. You can easily make 800+ rwhp using this cam.
MGMGXP likes this.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
I love the GT9 in a PDS setup. Its got a nasty ramp rate, but I have never personally seen any valvetrain failure with it. You can easily make 800+ rwhp using this cam.
I'm already there. Still, if I could get something specifically for my combo that would also be easier on the valve train (and hopefully less noisy) it would be a win all around.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Rockville Ring and Bearing. Doug, the owner, is a great guy and builds some incredible stuff.
Small world. A friend of mine owns the shop across the alley from them, PQ Automotive.
ebg8gt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page