Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Injector Connector Question

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  LVG8GT 
#1 · (Edited)
'09 G8 GT, 85k miles, stock, original injectors, coils, plugs. When started this morning, it had a miss, CEL light on, ASC disabled. Threw code P0204, which is an injector problem cylinder #4. I want to swap two injectors to see if the problem moves, so I'll then know it is the injector. How do I remove the electrical connectors to the injectors? See pic. The gray part slides up a bit, but then what? I don't want to break anything. (If it is the injector, should I expect others to start failing, and thus replace all 8?)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
After the gray lock is raised (an kept up) I know there is a raised tab (designed into the black solenoid connector housing. Pushing a small tool down in that center cavity will force the connectors tab locking finger away from that raised tab. Then the connector can be wiggled a touch an lifted off. I had the exact same problem with a failed #1 cylinder injector (at about the exact same miles also). It scared me too because it didn't want to lift off the solenoid easily. But it finally did, an with *no* damage incurred.

I treated my failure as a one an done type of problem. I'm sure these injector solenoids will work for endless miles. But if you feel differently, exercise the 8 cylinder route.

#4 ·
New injector is in, and all is good again. By the way, to remove the injector connectors, I found a MUCH easier way. I got a piece of coat hanger and bent up the end 90 degrees (about a half-inch's worth). Once the gray lock is raised, slip the hanger up under the bottom of the connector (on the gray lock side of course) and you can easily catch the bottom of the connector's locking finger and pull it away from the raised tab on the injector housing. Voila. Once it pulls the finger aside, the hanger also lifts up the connector. No more pushing down with a probe from the top, trying to locate the finger (which wasn't easy for me), while trying to pull up the connector at the same time. This technique was especially helpful on injectors 7 and 8 which are more confined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.