Pontiac G8 Forum banner

I'm not crazy, I just like my car.

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  bowtiefan 
#1 ·
Somebody at my daughters school drives a silver G8 GT. I saw it in the parking lot and got all excited because it's a pretty small school. I was standing in the office and, like an idiot, assumed that all other people know and like nice cars. I asked the office ladies if they knew who's it was and they asked what had happened. Evidently they thought I was asking because I had hit it or it's lights were on or something. I said I wanted to know because I have the same awesome car and started telling them all about it. They looked at me like I had sprouted horns. And wings. :rolleyes:

It looked stock, with 19's and a nasty dent in the back bumper. I know that a lot of people who drive the V6 aren't that into cars, but I can't imagine someone would get a GT if they weren't all spazzy about it! Anyone know who?

#2 ·
I met a guy driving a GT a couple months ago at a gas station. I complimented him on his car and started balh blah blahing about our cars. He looked at my car, and asked what it was! Long story short, he had no idea that the Pontiac G8 was built by Holden. I got the feeling that he really didn't car either! To him, his car is something that gets him to work and home. He must have thought I was out of my mind!

#3 ·
That's so weird to me. I'm curious to know how people like that come to own a GT. Usually people research cars they buy and if they aren't into power, they are usually concerned with mpg. It's not like you go to a used car lot and put $99 down with bad credit on a G8 GT. To me it seems like a car you would buy on purpose. :)

#7 ·
The manager of the Claim Jumpers at Alderwood owns a MGM G8 GT and doesn't give a rats ass about it, or other one's. He was one of the first kids on the block with a G8 around here too - kind of bizarre to me. I don't see the G8 as an appliance on wheels al a Toyota Camry or BMW 3-series if you live on the east side (and no I didn't say an M3 is an appliance)

#4 ·
yeah i agree, the G8 is no accidental purchase - most owners have done their research.

i mean c'mon, who would buy a pontiac on impulse?? ;)

#8 ·
I don't even own a G8 yet, but I know all about them! I have been looking at them since they came out and always figured they were out of my league, but am now looking to get one. I think the fact that Holden made them (and still makes the Commodore) is a good thing. I have talked to people in Australia and they say that the Commodore is a great seller Down Under and always has been. I agree with you guys that somebody who buys a GT or GXP wouldn't normally be doing that by accident and would know all about the car in advance, but what do we know?

#10 ·
Almost makes you want to take their car from them and give it to someone deserving, doesn't it? lol

I have had people walk across a parking lot to get to me, just to tell me they have one too.

Coming back from Tahoe weekend before last, a couple approached me when I stopped at Starbucks, just to talk about our G8s. :)

#11 ·
I also feel like buying a G8 GT is intentional and you would care/love your car. Thats why when I do get to see another G8'er I always wave. I bet I have seen less than 10 g8's total in the 6 months I have owned this car.

Its awesome to drive/own one but its also cool to see them on the road. Its a sharp looking car that I never get to admire from the outside when I'm in the driver seat!

#12 ·
I've had a similar experiences...I get all hyped up when I see another G8...and everyone else thinks I'm crazy...I'm just glad that my wife gets hyped up too...but EVERY single G8 I have seen and drove next to on the road...the drivers never make eye contact!!! They just keep driving...kinda disappoints me...

#15 ·
When I bought my G8 I spent 3 months resurching. That may not sound like a long time but they had just hit the market. I bought it for the performance, but since then after meeting people from here I learned that it is not just owning a car, it is a experience. I think that if a person owns a G8 and doesn't have passion about it should be given a Pius or some other boring car and give the G8 to someone that appreciates it.

#16 ·
Wtf? It happened again! I was headed west on 196th today and saw a PBM up ahead of me so gun it to get closer and we stopped at a red light. It's a GT so I flash my highbeams. No response. So I rev the piss out of my car (see video below for sound effects :) It's not like he couldn't hear it.) and still, nothin'.
I have a guy to the right of me in a massively old beater truck giving me a thumbs up and the yet the G8 driver seems to be intently studying something in his console. Huh. I've never seen a G8 driver on the road who has acknowledged that they have a cool car. Except for the time DHMOTORSPORTS stopped to talk in a parking lot. Badass car btw!
I suppose it's possible that this guy had his music all the way up and is just an oblivious individual. :rolleyes: Or maybe he doesn't like red.

#18 ·
Thanks! Yeah alot of the people around here dont care but the ones that do take care of that by making theres better.
Wtf? It happened again! I was headed west on 196th today and saw a PBM up ahead of me so gun it to get closer and we stopped at a red light. It's a GT so I flash my highbeams. No response. So I rev the piss out of my car (see video below for sound effects :) It's not like he couldn't hear it.) and still, nothin'.
I have a guy to the right of me in a massively old beater truck giving me a thumbs up and the yet the G8 driver seems to be intently studying something in his console. Huh. I've never seen a G8 driver on the road who has acknowledged that they have a cool car. Except for the time DHMOTORSPORTS stopped to talk in a parking lot. Badass car btw!
I suppose it's possible that this guy had his music all the way up and is just an oblivious individual. :rolleyes: Or maybe he doesn't like red.

#17 ·
All of the G8ers I've ran into here in the Portland area (and there are admittedly VERY few of them) have been really receptive attention towards their cars. We've got the Pacific Northwest G8 Club up here, and most of us carry PNWG8 business cards with our website and such on them and I've probably carded half a dozen G8s in the past six months? The owners all love to talk about their cars when I meet them.

#19 · (Edited)
There is actually a lady here where I work that bought one simply because someone said she should. She was in the market for a new car, had no idea what the G8 was, but one of the guys she works with suggested it to her, so she went and drove, liked it, and bought it. She did not even know what color she had. Funny thing is she bought hers the exact same day I bought mine from the same dealer. She was parked out front in the parking lot showing it off to lots of the people I work with the next night we were at work, when myself and 2 guys I work with where leaving for lunch. We walked up and started looking at it and one of the guys asked her what color it was (this was at night)? She told them it was something like pacific slate or something like that (it was actually MGM). Then we proceeded to walk to the parking garage where my buddies started giving me a hard time about her getting the car I wanted and me still being stuck in a Nissan (I had been following this car since it's release and they were actually tired of hearing about it and always seeing me looking at them on the internet). Then we got to my brand new car in the parking garage and I set the alarm off with the panic button. I had not told anyone yet that I had bought it, then I told them "now that is Pacific Slate".

#20 ·
I can't imagine someone just buying a G8 GT because they wanted a family car. I replaced my 3 year old FJ cruiser because it became inpractical with kids, but I did months of research before I bought the G8 and said "I want one of those!". It helped that I owned a 1998 commodore SS when I lived in Australia - back then the were packing a 5.0L and 5MT. I was surprised that GM brought them over here and I wouldn't buy anything else.

#21 ·
Sad part is 90% of G8 owners bought due to non-enthusiastic reasons.

#22 ·
I guess anything is possible. Soccer moms usually buy 6.0L Duramax diesel trucks with 20XXXX pound towing capability just to pick there kids up from school. lol

#23 ·
I always keep my car clean and shiny, I spend time making sure everything is just right and mine is a V6. I use to spend a lot of money on modifying my cars and trucks but after sitting on the expressway waiting for traffic to start moving I was rear ended by a semi in my truck that was featured in Sport Truck Magazine. I spent hours and hours in my garage with that truck, just paid it off and then it was gone, totalled. Too much crap happens on the road and in parking lots to dump thousands into a car.

#25 ·
I wish I wasn't so into cars because I'd save so much money from car washes, car products, mods, painstaking maintenance, the purchase price of nice new/used car, insurance, etc. etc. etc.

I'd be a rich man if I could suck it up and just drive an 8 year old honda accord 4banger w/ a stick....:(

#26 ·
Such as life...some people just don't have passion for certain things. I bet several of you who live in true winter season states have a beater car while the G8 sits in a heated garage.

I love the G8 but it's no $100K+ Ferrari. Hell the car could be a loner or company car or someone who got a killer deal on a G8 so he can keep his Lexus IF stored for fair weather days. :(

#27 ·
Don't forget guys that when Pontiac was around and selling the G8's, there were no Grand Prix's or Bonnevilles being made. They had to sell the folks coming from these cars something else and the G8 was the replacement in the Pontiac line for the GPs and Bonnies. So to some, the G8 (in V6 or V8 form) was just a car replacing what they were trading in and not a special vehicle like we know it to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.