Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Certified Used

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBradley J 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any info on how detailed/extensive the inspections are? Would I be safe buying a car sight unseen, that has passed the certified inspection?

#4 ·
its like 120 points, but its still just a inspection. Ive seen plenty pass that shouldnt. The good thing (and only reason to consider one over a non certified) is the warranty.

#5 ·
Certified ones are nice cause of the warranty but I must say the condition of the vehicle isnt any better than a non certified. I have seen a couple certified that had curb rash... and even one that didn't have stock exhaust and had a cai. Ya think they would make it stock. I don't really think GM's certified vehicles are up to par with other car manufacturers.

#7 ·
If it's out of the bumper to bumper You get a 12mo/12K mile warranty. If its still under the 3/36, you get the 12/12 added on, so for a lightly used one its like getting a 1 yr extended warranty.

The 5yr/100K warranty is also still in effect but doesn't get extended.

#8 ·
I wouldn't give any weight to CPO unless you want the warranty. I've seen more than my fair share of junker CPOs regardless of manufacturer. I'm looking for a 335i right now and the CPOs that I've seen have all been less than stellar. Poor condition paint, curb rash, trashed interiors, paint jobs that look like they have been performed with crayons, etc. A enthusiast owned private party car is almost always a better bet as far as condition goes. In regards to GM CPOs, there was a story in one of the local papers recently about some lady being sold a CPO G6 that later turned out was welded together from 2 different vehicles.

#9 ·
a CPO G6 that later turned out was welded together from 2 different vehicles.
Right but with the warranty, you have some recourse, without it its just "as is".

#10 · (Edited)
Right, I'm not saying CPO is a bad thing, but it certainly does not guarantee that the car is in great condition just because it's a CPO. I do like CPO myself as I am usually able to get them for the same price as a non-CPO and have extra warranty. My previous two cars were CPO, and I would prefer to get CPO now if I can find a clean one for a reasonable price. That being said I have seen MANY CPO cars that had no business being such. By the way, the lady with the welded-tegether car was SOL because GM blamed it on the dealer.

#11 ·
That being said I have seen MANY CPO cars that had no business being such.
Yep me too. You still have to do your homework even with those cars.

#12 ·
Purchase a GM Certified Used Vehicle, and you're purchasing total confidence. With a 117-point inspection, two great GM warranties, free vehicle history report - and more - a GM Certified Used Vehicle delivers more satisfaction and certainty than an ordinary used vehicle. All of our vehicles will leave you satisfied and worry free.

Eligibility Requirements for GM Certified Used Vehicles:

* 2005 and newer
* Maximum 75,000 miles
* Meets mechanical and appearance standards
* All original equipment present and working as new
* Meets mechanical and appearance standards
* Clean title

Benefits of GM Certified:

* Warranty
o 12-Month/12,000-Mile1 bumper-to-Bumper Warranty
o 100,000-Mile/5-Year2 Powertrain Limited Warranty
o Courtesy Transportation
o Roadside Assistance
o $0 Deductible
* 117-Point Inspection
* Free Vehicle History Report
* 3-Day/150-Mile Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
* OnStar
* XM Radio
http://www.gmcertified.com/themes/default/pdf/GMCertified_brochure_09.pdf

#14 ·
In my experience they DO NOT do the whole check list like GM advertises in the Certified handbook.

I had open TSBs, keys were missing and the paint was never inspected, how I knew that? The "PONTIAC" on the trunk was super glued on, yes, super glue. Needless to say they repainted the trunk lid after they had to pry off and sand the dripping super glue.

Then the trunk had water in it. After I complained about that, the tech told me they forgot to put the washer back on where the spoiler was. :slap:

Do the checklist yourself when you pick up the car.

#15 ·
Mine is a CPO which I bought in May. I don't remember the check list they need to go through before they can make it certified, because I was too busy drooling over the car. My CPO came with a great warranty, plus the extended warranty was cheap! I'd still definitly look at it and drive it before I did anything else. My answer, don't buy it if you haven't seen/driven it.

#16 ·
I agree Mags. I would think you would still wanna see it/drive it/ just generally look over the car. But, JMO. Good luck either way!

#17 ·
Ask to see the check list. All Certified cars should have one. Go over the list with your salesman. People do make mistakes and sometimes a tech is just a lazy ass so always drive and look at a car before buying.

Rule of thumb is a certified used car SHOULD ALWAYS come with an owner's manual and 2 sets of keys and remotes if they apply.

#20 ·
Premium is leather interior, leather wrapped steering wheel

Sport is 19" wheels and sport steering wheel, aluminum pedals.

There's a more detailed list somewhere on here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.