Ultra gauge warning! High RPM alert! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Drivetrain Tech 5L40 A5 / 6L80 A6 / TR6060 M6 / ZF Rear Diff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ultra gauge warning! High RPM alert!

So since it was a nice day I finally installed my catch can, billet strut covers and then decided to hook up ultra gauge for the first time.

Took the girl around the block and ultra gauge gave me low battery warning probably from sitting. Then I got on her pretty good and when I let off gas it seemed to hang up and the engine continued to rev high and not up shift I believe? Anyway engine stayed revving high and I gooses the throttle a bit to see if it would shift and finally it did. The ultra gauge gave me a high rpm warning.

Anyone else experience this? Wonder if it my cortex tune or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Ps the little gauge is pretty cool I have to say. Worth the $60

Traded-2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red- Premium & Sport Packages. Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk cargo liner, Mobil 1, Zmax treatment, SuperChips Cortex Volant 93 tune, Volant CAI, Solo-axlebacks w/ Jpipe, Solo X pipe, VG Sharkfin, OEM Mobil 1 oil cap, Billet prototype catch-can, BP Strut covers, Ultra Scan Gauge...

SOLD: 2006 Torrid Red GTO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9kG...eature=related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Garage
Little off topic but the trans sitting in the low gear and high RPM's has happened to me before also. Only in S mode tho. Didnt I hear something about the trans was designed to hold that gear if you accelerate hard and let off? Something a bout holding it for cornering?

(12-8-10) 2008 G8 GT Fully loaded with tints
(12-25-10) Pypes Violator axle back
(2-22-11) New Era CAI
(6/24/11) DT Tri Y's
Tune Coming Soon

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM

That sounds like PMFL mode. ( Click Me )
There are other threads like that if you search.
Basically what you describe sounds normal.

As far as the Ultra gauge being tripped, the set parameters for that alarm were exceeded.
Those parameters are customizable by the end user.
If you go back and check out what you have them set at and compare it to the engine operation during the alarm, it should coincide.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Its Good To Be Tha King

^What he said

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I clicked (click me) Ahh, sorry didnt know what to search under for his. Thanks. I was just cruising to a straight away, I had the shifter in D(drive) not in the manual shift mode and it had done this. Thanks again for the help. I feel better now. I have to read more on the utra gauge sight for more on the ins and outs of this gauge and to better customize the menu pages to my likings. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhaps View Post
That sounds like PMFL mode. ( Click Me )
There are other threads like that if you search.
Basically what you describe sounds normal.

As far as the Ultra gauge being tripped, the set parameters for that alarm were exceeded.
Those parameters are customizable by the end user.
If you go back and check out what you have them set at and compare it to the engine operation during the alarm, it should coincide.

Traded-2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red- Premium & Sport Packages. Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk cargo liner, Mobil 1, Zmax treatment, SuperChips Cortex Volant 93 tune, Volant CAI, Solo-axlebacks w/ Jpipe, Solo X pipe, VG Sharkfin, OEM Mobil 1 oil cap, Billet prototype catch-can, BP Strut covers, Ultra Scan Gauge...

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Its Good To Be Tha King

PAL also works in D....

Quote:
PAS collects data from the acclerator, brake and yaw sensors to anticipate when the driver desires a "performance" shifting style, such as holding lower gears until redline when floored or performing a downshift from 3rd to 2nd while braking.

This works in conjunction with the Performance Algorithm Liftfoot, which determines how the transmission will behave when you lift the throttle. Normally, the car will shift to overdrive upon throttle lift in an effort to improve fuel economy. If the sensors detect "spirited" driving, it will instead hold the gear you're already in, in an effort to prepare you for the corner exit.

The easiest way to trigger the PAL is to maintain .5 G's for 1.5 seconds or more. Next time you come up on a sharp or sweeping corner, flip it into sport mode and take the corner. The car will go into overdrive when you lift, but if you floor it upon exit it will redline second befpre shifting into third. Then when you release the throttle in third, you'll notice that it stays there and engine brakes. This is the car preparing you for the next corner. If there were another corner, you could now enter in third (instead of Overdrive like the first) and when the car detects the hard braking and lateral G's of the second turn, the PAS will shift you from 3rd to 2nd in mid corner. This way you can blast out of the corner in second, no waiting for the shift like the first corner.

Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I learn something new every day. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
PAL also works in D....

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM
TLS

Back up.....

I'm on here daily for the past few years and never once heard of an "Ultra Gauge"????

What is it?

2009.5 G8 GT SRM
Sport + Premium - No Sunroof
255/40-19 Conti DW Summers
18" Winter wheels with Conti DWS's
Full Size Spare and Jack kit
Sliding Armrest
Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter (HSRK)
Maximizer LTH's & Midpipes into Corsa Axlebacks
Mustang Dyno tune
FE3, Eibach, Whiteline mounts, New Control Arms, Moog Endlinks
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Have to help six year old daughter with home work but in short Its an awesome little scan gauge size of a credit card that scans all types of whats going on in your car and flashes the information on the small screen. ultrascangauge.com I think thats the sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Back up.....

I'm on here daily for the past few years and never once heard of an "Ultra Gauge"????

What is it?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Its Good To Be Tha King

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Back up.....

What is it?
Turbo301 did a review of one in THIS THREAD.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Nice video, wish someone would shoot a video that covers all the displays after they set their menus. Got tiredof seeing the guy trying to set the size of his gas tank. LOL

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM

I bought one of these for my GMC Canyon. I kept getting an alarm for battery voltage and sometimes high rpms. I found that the default parameters were set low. You can turn the alarms on and off and adjust the parameters. I love it I want to get one for the G8 just have to figure where to put it.

09 G8GT SwitchBlade Silver/Sunroof:
SSV Z-Series ll rims (Chevy SS rims), GXP rear diffuser, Chrome G8 gas cap cover, Console sliding leather lid, Holden Engine Covers, Intake cover delete, Automatic dimming mirror, Holden VE Onyx Leather Sports Steering Wheel, SLP spoiler

RotoFab CAI, HSRK, MagnaFlow cat back, Kooks 1 7/8 mids w/HFC, GXP Brembos with drilled rotors, VMS Stage 2 tuned, Mobil 1
60'-1.954 1/4-12.753 @ 109.42mph
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Garage
NJgoat. Where did you end up setting yours up at? Can u take a pic or vid and post it so we can see? Very interested in this.

(12-8-10) 2008 G8 GT Fully loaded with tints
(12-25-10) Pypes Violator axle back
(2-22-11) New Era CAI
(6/24/11) DT Tri Y's
Tune Coming Soon

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Heard a good place is the little cubby next to the outlet. Someone said, you can run the cable through the back of the dash console, it fits perfect. And you could make a mounting system using velcro.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
Heard a good place is the little cubby next to the outlet. Someone said, you can run the cable through the back of the dash console, it fits perfect. And you could make a mounting system using velcro.
Yea I heard of that place too. But I have my iPod set up there. Besides it's too low. I have a better idea the GPS trim kit instead of the GPS I could mount that in there. It's cheaper then guages and it shows more.

SSV Z-Series ll rims (Chevy SS rims), GXP rear diffuser, Chrome G8 gas cap cover, Console sliding leather lid, Holden Engine Covers, Intake cover delete, Automatic dimming mirror, Holden VE Onyx Leather Sports Steering Wheel, SLP spoiler

RotoFab CAI, HSRK, MagnaFlow cat back, Kooks 1 7/8 mids w/HFC, GXP Brembos with drilled rotors, VMS Stage 2 tuned, Mobil 1
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Good question, can you use this along with the hacked Ataris? I think the answer was yes.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
Good question, can you use this along with the hacked Ataris? I think the answer was yes.
Yup it plugs into the OBD. Which is cool so you can unplug it and put in another car. You don't need Ataris it has all that info in it.

Here it is ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

....And I just bought one for the G8.

Last edited by Perhaps; 02-17-2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Removed non supporting vendor link.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I didnt quite install it anywhere. I just plugged it in and messed with it during my test drive of my other install parts. I was finally getting around to testing since Its been sitting on my work bench for two months because G8 has been covered up. It does fit perfect in the cuddy explained in the thread. I dont see any area to feed the cable through the back of the cuddy. But to look at it from there you do have to look down which really takes eyes off the road. Ill have to do a search and see what others have done on some old posts. Not sure if Im gonna keep it in G8 or put it into my hoopty truck. For the money you cant beat it, that little gauge sure does display alot of information plus reads trouble codes and clears them..nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
NJgoat. Where did you end up setting yours up at? Can u take a pic or vid and post it so we can see? Very interested in this.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
PS

The one pain in the A%$ thing about it is no instruction booklet. Only instructions is online. I suppose I could burn up the printer and go that route. It cycles through the differnet pages of information and you can program how long the screen is displayed before it changes to the next page. You can also program what you want on each page and where.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page